You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saab Ja37 Viggen should be modelled by freewing!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saab Ja37 Viggen should be modelled by freewing!

I want to drum up some support for freewing to model the mighty Saab Viggen! It was the only jet to catch the Sr71 blackbird (due to strategy), have reverse thrust and had the worlds first on board integrated circuit computer. It was a Cold War jet that was designed to land on short runways and it's easy to handle both as a model and (apparently) a full size fighter. I am flying a 120mm 'Jim Fox' produced Viggen and it is superb. These were sold in the 80s and required a fair bit of knowledge to put together properly. Now the only people making the viggen is: http://www.mbs-rcmodels.se/. This is a balsa wood kit and is very difficult to construct but it is scale if done correctly. And the other is http://aerotetris.com/ and isn't quite scale and would take many weeks to put together.

American and soviet jets have all been done before. This jet has been discussed at length in many chats online. People would go crazy for a scale 90mm (or larger viggen)!

It is a very stable flyer, lands very slowly with the canards down and looks absolutely fantastic!

Anyone agree?

Glad to see someone else recognize how great a JA-37 Viggen EDF would make! As matter a fact there are very few jets I can think of that would translate so well to an RC model as the Viggen.
    Here are some of the Pros the Viggen has that would be very useful in the RC world.
    • Slow speed capable without stalling
    • Short take off capable
    • Short landing capable with thrust reverser - Simple 3 piece reverser clamp design
    • No cheater holes necessary - The stock intake design has been tested to be provide enough air in EDF applications

As for the ideal size I would think 80mm would be it. Here is why, the Viggen is not that well known outside of Sweden hence there would not be such a high interest for a $500 90mm Super Scale size compared to what a much more popular model would sell like the F-4 Phantom. The Viggen would have to sell at a lower sweet spot like at $300-350 to be a sales success for Freewing.

By the way I had already started a Thread about the Viggen A while ago here: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...-ajs-37-viggen

I became a fan of the Viggen when it came to my favorite flight simulator DCS World and got fly it. Of all the airplanes I have flown in DCS it is my most favorite to fly over my F-86 Saber, L-39, A-10C and F-15C.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Viggen 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.9 KB ID:	126097

Comment

Here is a Great video the shows why I love flying the Viggen in DCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
        Here is why, the Viggen is not that well known outside of Switzerland hence there would not be such a high interest for a $500 90mm Super Scale size compared to what a much more popular model would sell like the F-4 Phantom.
        Switzerland? :Confused:

I would be in, my MBS kit build got stalled...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	891
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	126158
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd be happy with an 80mm if it had to be that way

That MBS model looks great, but Flying a plane that so much work has gone into is not as fun as you'd like it to be!

Ill post on that other thread too.

Comment

Working...
          X