You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMS T-45 GOSHAWK 70mm: Did I buy the wrong battery? Or just need an adapter?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Any battery balance charger will have a balance board and the charge leads. The charge leads need to be matched with whatever's on the batteries. You can get charge leads with different ends or you go the adapter route.
    What about the HiTech chargers XT60 connectors and EC3 connectors? They wont fit the Admiral battery's EC5 connector.

Comment

Originally posted by chipset35 View Post

What about the HiTech chargers XT60 connectors and EC3 connectors? They wont fit the Admiral battery's EC5 connector.
      Like I said, you can buy adapters. It's the same principle as adapters for ESCs to whatever battery you have. They make XT60 to EC5 and EC3 to EC5 or almost anything you can encounter. Or you can get charge leads that are already EC5. I have 6 chargers. Some leads, I have 4 sets of them.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Like I said, you can buy adapters. It's the same principle as adapters for ESCs to whatever battery you have. They make XT60 to EC5 and EC3 to EC5 or almost anything you can encounter. Or you can get charge leads that are already EC5. I have 6 chargers. Some leads, I have 4 sets of them.
        ok, I was just worried the adapter would not be able to handle the charger voltage or discharge voltage when hooking that EC5 up to the charger with an adapter to EC3

Comment

The charger will be ok, theres not a lot of amps pushing through, but its when the motor is running in the plane that is where you need the big connectors.

Comment

Charging amps and voltage going into a battery is nothing like what you demand of it when drawing it out.

Comment

Here's my balance-board ...EC5 , Deans "T" , Traxxas .

Comment

Thanks guys! You all are great!

Comment

Argh....so I went to solder the EC5 plug to the ESC wires.
                  I watched a uTube video on how to do it as well.
                  Unfortunately, like my other FMS aircraft, there is not much wire to work with.
                  I cannot get enough leverage or space to hold the tinned wire to the solder filled node on the male pin with enough pressure so that when I heat up the pin to melt the solder within, I can never get the tinned wire to stick.
                  What I am thinking now is maybe it would be easier to just take a spare male EC5 connector and wire I have with an adapter for "charging", and just cut then strip the other ends off the wire, tin it and then try and just solder that end to the bare wires from the ESC.
                  I have enough space to solder the pairs of wires together I think.
                  Just need to figure out how to get the shrink material heated with my heat gun after I solder it, without heating any foam or other wires and electronics.
                  Might be better to just tightly wrap with electrical tape.
                  Or are there "crimp" connectors I could use to join the wires?

Comment

just pull the fan assembly and esc out of the access hatch. So you have the room to work. When you do this tie a string to the esc battery cables, so when you are done you can use the string to pull the cables back into place with minimal headache

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                      just pull the fan assembly and esc out of the access hatch. So you have the room to work. When you do this tie a string to the esc battery cables, so when you are done you can use the string to pull the cables back into place with minimal headache
                      The ones I purchased are Tyco Electronics (TE Connectivity) CPGI-YW-SNAP-CONN-KIT-6 and are rated for 35-50 amps maximum for 12-10 gauge wire, and 15-30 amps maximum for 16-14 gauge wire.
                      I cannot find the voltage for it, but a similar brand has a 600 volt maximum.
                      I am going to do the right thing and take yours advice and use your steps to remove the ESC for easy soldering, as I am am good at soldering those EC5 connectors to wires if I have the space to work with.

Comment

Working...
                      X