X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing stinger 64 upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the 4s stinger 64 to a 12 blade fan? Mine is stock and I love it and I was wondering if it would be any faster with the 12 blade fan or if it would just sound better. (I'm also aware I would need to upgrade the esc and maybe switch to the 3300kv motor.)

RE: Freewing stinger 64 upgrade

Originally posted by jordan1387
    Has anyone upgraded the 4s stinger 64 to a 12 blade fan? Mine is stock and I love it and I was wondering if it would be any faster with the 12 blade fan or if it would just sound better.  (I'm also aware I would need to upgrade the esc and maybe switch to the 3300kv motor.)

I have and it adds around 15 more MPH to the speed. It is worth the upgrade. You can use the motor it came with and just get a 65 amp esc and the 12 blade edf. It will cost you around $40. You will also need a 4s battery with at least a 40c rating since the 65a esc has a 80amp burst.

Comment

Originally posted by ss0028
      Has anyone upgraded the 4s stinger 64 to a 12 blade fan? Mine is stock and I love it and I was wondering if it would be any faster with the 12 blade fan or if it would just sound better.  (I'm also aware I would need to upgrade the esc and maybe switch to the 3300kv motor.)

I have and it adds around 15 more MPH to the speed. It is worth the upgrade. You can use the motor it came with and just get a 65 amp esc and the 12 blade edf. It will cost you around $40. You will also need a 4s battery with at least a 40c rating since the 65a esc has a 80amp burst.
      Ok thanks, I'm already using a 2200 45c battery. I heard someone say the stock motor won't last long with that upgrade? Just making sure

Comment

Ok thanks, I'm already using a 2200 45c battery. I heard someone say the stock motor won't last long with that upgrade? Just making sure
        The stock motor for the 4s stinger is a 2836-3500kv. If you look under upgrades you will see a 12 blade complete assembly with the 2836-3500kv motor. All you need is the 12 blade edf unit for around $8 if you know how to move and mount a motor to a edf. I would get at least a 65amp esc as mine draws 60amps and you will need esc to motor bullet extenders if you get a ztw esc.

Comment

The stock motor for the 4s stinger is a 2836-3500kv. If you look under upgrades you will see a 12 blade complete assembly with the 2836-3500kv motor. All you need is the 12 blade edf unit for around $8 if you know how to move and mount a motor to a edf. I would get at least a 65amp esc as mine draws 60amps and you will need esc to motor bullet extenders if you get a ztw esc.
          I'll do that. I've never had to remove a fan or mount one to a motor but I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Comment

I'll do that. I've never had to remove a fan or mount one to a motor but I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
            Also would you recommend the 100mm extensions or the 200mm? And should I get the esc programming card or can I do it from my radio?

Comment

Just the 100m extension is perfect, you don't need the programming card you can do it all from your radio.

Comment

Just the 100m extension is perfect, you don't need the programming card you can do it all from your radio.
                Just ordered the upgrades. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

Just so you know you only need the extensions for about 1 inch, without them the esc won't go all the way down, unless you modify the wiring.

Good luck with the upgrade I hope it all goes well!

Comment

Just so you know you only need the extensions for about 1 inch, without them the esc won't go all the way down, unless you modify the wiring.

I installed everything today. Wasn't too hard to figure out how to remove and install the fan. I am having a little trouble with the motor stuttering and making a thumping sound when it starts up, but it only happens when it starts up and it seems to run smoothly other than that. I have some guys helping me fix it. It sounds awesome though! Can't wait to try it.

Comment

I installed everything today. Wasn't too hard to figure out how to remove and install the fan. I am having a little trouble with the motor stuttering and making a thumping sound when it starts up, but it only happens when it starts up and it seems to run smoothly other than that. I have some guys helping me fix it. It sounds awesome though! Can't wait to try it.
                      I sort of have the thump problem, can you let me know what you did to fix it.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks
                        I won't have time to look at it until later this evening. Someone online said it could be a loose wire connection, screw too tight in the motor, or maybe change the startup speed to slow. I'll let you know if I fix it.

Comment

Thanks
                          I still haven't figured out the thumping problem. I haven't flown it yet either because of the weather. I just remembered though, when I removed the motor from the stock 5 blade fan, I noticed the motor was screwed onto the housing with only 2 screws even though it could have 4. When I installed the 12 blade fan I screwed the motor onto the housing with 4 screws instead of 2, do you think that could be the problem?

Comment

I finally got to fly it today and it went very well. It's definitely faster and it was worth the upgrade

Comment

I finally got to fly it today and it went very well. It's definitely faster and it was worth the upgrade

Good to hear, good luck to all future flights

All the best
                              Sam

Comment

How do you remove the ESC without cutting?

Originally posted by jordan1387 View Post

Also would you recommend the 100mm extensions or the 200mm? And should I get the esc programming card or can I do it from my radio?

Comment

Hello guys,
                                  i just purchased the upgrade EDF for my stinger 80amp esc. Will install tonight or tomorrow maiden Saturday. I'll post back on the flight.

Mike

Comment

yep i upgraded mine to a 11 blade powerfun edf unit, i was a bit staggered when i put it on the meter and it was pulling 70 amp, put a 80amp esc in it and it went well but on full throttle flight on a 2200mah 4s lipo i can only get a max 2 minute flight

Comment

hi
                                      thanks

Comment

Working...
                                      X