X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't It Time For The Bone?

I know I am not alone when it comes to wanting a B-1 EDF twin from Freewing. 70/80mm?? Would it be a deal breaker for you if it was fixed wing? For me it wouldn't be. While sweep wing functionality would be ideal, I just want one really bad. I just love the profile. Would have to be good size though. What's your thoughts?
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Aros, I'm in. Presume it would be a twin designed to look like 4 engines. Fixed wing would be okay, BUT if this is a wishlist item, then add the swept or possibly both setups could be different setups for flight. Either fly swept or not. An option chosen by your mood. It would need to be 80mm to make the impact it deserves, I think, especially if it were fixed wing. How large would this have to be to house 2X 80mm in those nacelles, I wonder? Best, LB
    Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	257636Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	559
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	257637
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      Aros, I'm in. Presume it would be a twin designed to look like 4 engines. Fixed wing would be okay, BUT if this is a wishlist item, then add the swept or possibly both setups could be different setups for flight. Either fly swept or not. An option chosen by your mood. It would need to be 80mm to make the impact it deserves, I think, especially if it were fixed wing. How large would this have to be to house 2X 80mm in those nacelles, I wonder? Best, LB
      I’ve thought about it just a little bit imagining the F-14 as a reference point. Without making the nacelles too oversized I can only guess a 80mm twin would be just shy of twice as long as the F-14? It would be so cool though and I’d stand in line for one..

Comment

80mm twin?? I'M IN!!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I would like one, room permitting (and finances). When the F-14 first came out, the price really scared me but what scared me more were all the warnings that came along with it. The initial videos had all kinds of warnings about this and that - had to do with settings, experience level, flight characteristics and what can happen if things weren't done just right. Any video I've seen of the F-14 flying doesn't show it flying with swept back wings for very long and that has always made me wonder why.
          Now, if this thing came as an 80mm and has to be so much bigger than the F-14, the price could be out of this world for a foamie. Also, storing it even with wings swept back could occupy a large amount of space.
          Eflite (or FMS) has been able to make a 64mm A-10 that flies extremely well and doesn't break the bank. Perhaps Freewing could do it (B-1), too?

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say it needs to be huge...I just wouldn't want it to be small either. 80mm with scale nacelles might be too large to be practical, not sure on that. The wings would have to be easy to connect/disconnect for transport and storage for sure. As for the F-14, Besides the bucking bronco I couldn't seem to avoid no matter what I tried (and in retrospect it's entirely possible I was too nose heavy all along) when I swept the wings back it was incredibly unstable...I tried a roll and it was like on a dryer's spin cycle. These were all with RC Geek's settings. I'm a decent flyer (I think?) but that is one model that made me feel like an amateur right quick. Sold it.
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

The Bone would be too hard to engineer and get the proportions correct with two EDFs. They would have to be small diameter in relation to the overall plane size. As noted two 80mm would be much longer than the F-14. Then you run into the problem of power to weight as the F-14 was marginally powered.

For me to buy it I would have to have sweeping wings though a manually movable wing is an interesting alternative. It would also need to be both fast and stable.

For me to buy it I really think four 70mm or four 6S 64mm, sweeping wings and about the size of the current F-14 would be the sweet spot. Price would be important too and no more than $5-550.

Comment

Removable wings would be a no go for me. With the sweeping wings it would make it either impossible or very complicated and heavy. The F-14 was an interesting challenge. Mine had wings with a little different twist to them and the roll trim changed when swept. Having modes and trims assigned to the modes took care of that. I found it very stable both extended and swept and it flew like a trainer extended. My only complaints were a slight lack of power and a tendency to drop a wing landing. I give FreeWing a 10 for having the guts to put it out and a 9 for the plane itself.

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                I wouldn't necessarily say it needs to be huge...I just wouldn't want it to be small either. 80mm with scale nacelles might be too large to be practical, not sure on that. The wings would have to be easy to connect/disconnect for transport and storage for sure. As for the F-14, Besides the bucking bronco I couldn't seem to avoid no matter what I tried (and in retrospect it's entirely possible I was too nose heavy all along) when I swept the wings back it was incredibly unstable...I tried a roll and it was like on a dryer's spin cycle. These were all with RC Geek's settings. I'm a decent flyer (I think?) but that is one model that made me feel like an amateur right quick. Sold it.

Comment

I would highly doubt it would be a 4 EDF setup...Not that it's impossible but I haven't seen it done yet. It would likely be a twin power setup, perhaps 64mm or 70mm....Just guesses.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    Removable wings would be a no go for me. With the sweeping wings it would make it either impossible or very complicated and heavy. The F-14 was an interesting challenge. Mine had wings with a little different twist to them and the roll trim changed when swept. Having modes and trims assigned to the modes took care of that. I found it very stable both extended and swept and it flew like a trainer extended. My only complaints were a slight lack of power and a tendency to drop a wing landing. I give FreeWing a 10 for having the guts to put it out and a 9 for the plane itself.
                    I think had I stuck with it I would have found success with it...I would have had to explore those trim/F-Mode settings, move the CG back a bit and I probably would have liked it. Wings extended it did fly like a trainer.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it... Your vision and mine seem to be quite different. Fixed wing that's removable, unscale twin 64 or 70... Nope. Maybe EFLite with AS3X? At least it wouldn't have bare white foam...

I would highly doubt it would be a 4 EDF setup...Not that it's impossible but I haven't seen it done yet. It would likely be a twin power setup, perhaps 64mm or 70mm....Just guesses.

Comment

I just don't see how a 4-EDF power system would be practical to keep it at a reasonable price point is all. Look at all the "twin" scale jets that only have 1 EDF. F-18, F-14, F-15, etc, etc. Nobody bats an eye at that. Why would that paradigm be any different for the B-1?
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

This guy did a twin 120mm version...
                          Hobby Squawk RC airplane, boat, car, helicopter, tank, truck blog forum community

Comment

Here's another one..

Comment

Nice!!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

All those single EDF twins are too toyish, guess I batted an eye. Sorry. I wouldn’t buy be but that’s just me.

I just don't see how a 4-EDF power system would be practical to keep it at a reasonable price point is all. Look at all the "twin" scale jets that only have 1 EDF. F-18, F-14, F-15, etc, etc. Nobody bats an eye at that. Why would that paradigm be any different for the B-1?

Comment

The electric is more like what I would buy.

Comment

Beeg, Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Very Cool. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      All those single EDF twins are too toyish, guess I batted an eye. Sorry. I wouldn’t buy be but that’s just me.
                                      Well my friend I guess we have differing opinions and that's perfectly okay! I have found the Freewing F/A-18C, F-4, F-15, F-22 to all be fantastic models regardless of a single EDF. Not toyish at ALL in my mind. But I respect we all have our POV's. Obviously something like the A-10 has to be a true twin as would be the Bone or SR-71, etc...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I was talking more the older and smaller ones. FW did a good job on the bigger 90mm. The older 90mm F-18 was out of scale but the TVs made it a lot of fun.

A SR-71 would be cool. Just don’t see how a single EDF unit would fit in a Bones twin pod and look right... besides two 6S 64’s wouldn’t be that much more expensive than a 80mm even counting doubling the ESCs. But it would still need sweeping wings for me to consider it. No sweep would be as bad as a F-22 without thrust vectoring and lights.

Comment

Working...
                                        X