Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah I see...Yeah talking New Gen, not the old stuff....Some folks like you would demand sweep wing and I totally get it. I would prefer that too. I guess for me, just having a Bone in my hangar would be enough, especially knowing it would have the scale look and general quality and amenities we are used to with Freewing these days.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

There are 4 engined EDFs out there and they aren't UNaffordable.
      https://www.bananahobby.com/5-ch-tia...f-jet-arf.html
      https://www.bananahobby.com/4-ch-tia...f-jet-rtf.html

Comment

I stand corrected! So maybe it's not so impossible after all!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

However, those examples from Banana aren't going to be of the better quality and we all know they are all going to need some work before they leave the ground. If Freewing made these planes, they would be way better quality, almost nothing to do to get them flying but they would also be in a higher price point. Now, whether or not they would catapult themselves into UNaffordable territory for many, would be yet to be seen.

Comment

Trying to discern what a 4x EDF Bone would look like. Let's assume 64mm.

Inrunners but of course. 4x, 45A ESCs? What's the battery? 6S 5000mAh? Or 4S in series? Length is, what, six foot or a touch less?

With swept wing? I am thinking $599. Without swept wing? $499-ish?
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
              Trying to discern what a 4x EDF Bone would look like. Let's assume 64mm.

Inrunners but of course. 4x, 45A ESCs? What's the battery? 6S 5000mAh? Or 4S in series? Length is, what, six foot or a touch less?

With swept wing? I am thinking $599. Without swept wing? $499-ish?
              Now you're getting into AL-37 size territory. I barely found the space to store the AL. I think a lot of people will have trouble with it in that sense. I have it and love the thing but I believe the size of it has scared many people away. A B-1 in this size with a swing wing will be heavy and complex, perhaps more so than the F-14. 4 x 64mm will have to have more thrust than the twin 70's that push the AL-37 along. We've seen Eflite's 64mm A-10 produce amazing performance, so we know it can be done but a single 5000mah battery may not fly 4 such EDFs for long.

Comment

Two 6s 64's would be about a good 80. I would say 80A ESCs. I would say a little longer than the 5' length of the F-14 and use the same wing sweep hardware. I'd say two 6s 5000. As I said $550 would be a good target.

Comment

Sorry I am a little late to comment. My vote would be for twin 70's - look at how big the AL37 is with two 70's, it doesn't have any problem moving around the sky fast and its "pretty big".

Twin 80's would make a bigger model. I would have NO problem with a bigger Bone. You know, the real one is a really big plane.
                  I was astounded when I visited one at Oshkosh years ago, standing at the nose gear the bottom of the fuselage was WAY over my head. A B1 the size of the Freewing F15 would be really boring.

I agree with Aros that 4 fans might be too much. You could do it with 4 x 64mm fans, but twin 70's or 80's would be easier to engineer. I would be totally pumped to see a Bone the size of the AL37. Swept-back wings if they are fixed, but moveable wings would be incredible. I am sure that Freewing could do it. Just imagine in your head, the AL37 in gray, with a swoop in the big fat fuselage, squared-off nacelles tucked underneath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b1-1.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	258236
                  Attached Files
                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Well, in the previous post I said "a B1 the size of the Freewing F15 would be boring". Well, it won't let me edit the post now, but I'd like to say "that's not what I meant". Actually I was thinking about the F14 (with the swing wings) and I think the F14 is certainly an extremely cool model, but what I was trying to say is that I think that the B1 should be a large model. A small B1 just doesn't seem worth the trouble. So I just think that if a B1 comes into the picture it needs to be large like the AL37. Sorry, I didn't mean to throw shade at the F15. Or the F14.
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

+1 vote for B-1B. Any size just gimme. Aros, you are on point. The SR 71 and B-1B are also on my wishlist. I may just end up biting the bullet and grab those composite ones if no other offering (lx sr 71 aside, i have that one) come soon.

Comment

Totally understood and I agree themudduck ! The B1 needs to be in the upper level of size class. It just has that presence...I also love the idea of twin 70 or 80mm...My concern for functional swept wing is the lack of "meat" in the airframe to house the mechanism needed...She's such a sleek, slim girl....The F-14 has more mass in that section that makes it feasible. But boy oh boy if it can be done, holy cow.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I had the privilege of riding the real thing, tail 080, from McConnell AFB back in March of 2001. Definitely in the top 10 days of my life thus far. PUHLEEEZE someone make a large scale BNF version...I will sell my race car for it.

BTW someone mentioned an option for wings fixed in the swept position, or manually manipulated, but the real Bone cannot take off with wings swept. The sweep allowed supersonic flight when speed was sufficient to compensate for reduced lift. Just a thought.

Comment

Pretty sure most know that if not all... But thanks for the reminder.

Another reason that if it doesn't sweep I wouldn't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Wins View Post
                              I had the privilege of riding the real thing, tail 080, from McConnell AFB back in March of 2001.
                              GW, Welcome to "Hobby Squawk". Do you remember driving up Kellogg and seeing all the 'high bank angle' turns? Impressive. Best, LB

Name:	USAF B-1B Lancer Kansas ANG McConnell AFB  127th BS, 184th BW.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	262861
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I wish I was able to make it to Jet Jam this year, as someone had a scratchbuilt Bone that ran off 2 90s.

Here is an example of a single engine in the pod.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

GW, Welcome to "Hobby Squawk". Do you remember driving up Kellogg and seeing all the 'high bank angle' turns? Impressive. Best, LB

Name:	USAF B-1B Lancer Kansas ANG McConnell AFB  127th BS, 184th BW.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	262861
                                  I do. I miss those loud, fast and sleek birds. The tankers are just so booooring.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                                    I wish I was able to make it to Jet Jam this year, as someone had a scratchbuilt Bone that ran off 2 90s.

Here is an example of a single engine in the pod.
                                    DD, Any other 'stats'? Weight, length, etcetera? I want one, don't you want one? Everybody wants one, right?? Great vid. Thank you. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Get one here.

Hobby Squawk RC airplane, boat, car, helicopter, tank, truck blog forum community

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post
                                        Get one here.

Hobby Squawk RC airplane, boat, car, helicopter, tank, truck blog forum community

Sean
                                        5000 bucks for an ARF!!!! I think people here are hoping for one like their Freewing F-14 ---- somewhere UNDER the cost of an arm and a leg.

Comment

EDFjetpilot & xviper, That's a little rich for my blood. I agree with that something with the tech of the Freewing F-14 swing wing and 1800 to 2000mm. Would that work out with twin 80s or 90s? Best, LB
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X