X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elite 80mm F-4 or freewing 90mm F-4

So this is my question my airfield is tarmac, and if you have to chose between elite F-4 ore the freewing F4 despite the price differences quality wise ,with one should chose ??

Duh, the FreeWing...

Comment

Other than the current price advantage of the Horizon SOFO sale and it's included receiver, which gives you an effective price for the E-Flite of ~$350 (minus the receiver) vs. $500 for the 6S Freewing version, I don't see any advantage to the E-Flite other than the built-in gyro in the AS3X receiver, if you wanted it.

What I see about the FW bird would be a better fit for me and my style of flying, except it's size (I'd rather have the 80mm size for storage and transport; that's plenty big for me). The Freewing gives you digital servos vs. Analog, is grass capable (E-Flite would struggle), better color schemes (IMO) easy and relatively inexpensive upgrade path to 8S if you want it and relatively inexpensive and readily available spare parts.

Having not flown the E-Flite, I'd still suspect the FW would fly a bit nicer overall. To me, the FW screams for 8S though in the Phantom, which of course is an additional commitment in resources.

Comment

I wasn't really in the market for an F-4. A guy at my field has the FW and I've seen him fly it many times. He appeared to really like it even though he looked a bit scared when he flew it. He said he had to repair the nose gear several times from bad landings or hitting the grass along the edges or at the end of the runway. When I see him fly it, he seems quite competent and has never shown any deficiencies in skill. Nevertheless, I still wasn't inclined to get one myself. Then Horizon put on that sale recently and my hobby shop happened to have one and the sale discount applied to it (BNF). I went to have a look at it and decided to come home with it. I've got several other Eflite planes with the SAFE select and although I don't use the SAFE all the time, the AS3X is a very effective flying aid (at least for me).
        On the second flight, sure enough, ran it onto the grass (from the GeoTex surface runway) and broke the nose retract, so not different than the FW. It's really under-sized for the plane its in. In fact, I replaced it with some cheap retract I had left over from previously stripped down crashed planes. What I had came from either an old HobbyKing or RocHobby or Dynam plane. It looked identical and fit perfectly after I transplanted the nose strut and trunion into it. I've flown it several more times since without any mishaps and I really like it. Size wise, the Eflite isn't all that much smaller than the Freewing and the 80mm fan seems to push it through the air with the same authority as my buddy's FW's 90mm. By comparison, I think we're both quite happy with what we've got. The only difference is that he's done more repairs on his than I have on mine, for what that's worth.

Comment

G-shepard I have been flying my E-Flite 80 mm F-4 now for just over a year now . actually either one is a great flying EDF. I have had the opportunity to have flown both. Either one would be a great choice the Parking lot we fly from South of Our City Fair grounds is a bit confined for flying space, and I will not fly any of my 90 mm EDF's there do to that fact. I have many, many flights on my E-flite F-4 Phantom with very little maintenance to it. I will not fly any of my ED's from a rough grass field. IMHO a grass field is to hard on the EDF Jets, if you like repairing the retacts and so on by all means fly off grass. They will not take a landing that starts with the nose gear touching down first nor bouncing it due to a stall just before touch down they have to be in a high alpha flair to properly make a text book landing, Which is hard to accomplish some times being proficient at landing this type of aircraft takes numerous touch and go's and many aborted landings, if not set up correctly, Go around. Once you get use to how it comes in on the final approach, then make the next bunch of flights boring Holes in the Sky. LOL!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV5cBBToTXU&t=10s

Comment

I have the eflite and love it. I guess it all depends on what you want to spend.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                I have the eflite and love it. I guess it all depends on what you want to spend.
                I have been contemplating getting the Free Wing 90 mm F-4 in the Camo scheme also, once I sell a couple 3D giants. I already have two A-10,s and two F-16's. rifleman you are right all depends on MONEY LOL!!! and at the moment my pockets are not that deep. P.S. nice test flight on your E-Flite F-4 Phantom rifleman.

Comment

OP said “despite the price differences quality wise ,with one should chose ??”.

The FW is the better plane. The EFlite comes with a receiver but you can put a AS3X or gyro in the FW if you need ones...

If you also consider price you have to consider parts prices too and EFlites are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    OP said “despite the price differences quality wise ,with one should chose ??”.

The FW is the better plane. The EFlite comes with a receiver but you can put a AS3X or gyro in the FW if you need ones...

If you also consider price you have to consider parts prices too and EFlites are expensive.
                    I know what he said. I have flown both and they both fly great. IMHO I would buy the E-Flite F-4 Phantom, One big reason some people do not have the time to spend putting in the ( I assume by AS3X you mean AS3X receiver) which then has to be programmed. Or if you add a gyro and a receiver then those have to be set up . There are many out there that would rather spend one hour of assembly and set up and go fly. Parts what kind of parts are we talking about. I have been flying my E-Flite now for over a year. and have many many flights on it. The only parts I have needed, was a new set of tires do to all the landings on pavement and concrete runways. No tread left, infact one tire had a hole in it LOL!!!! . I put more dents, and dings in the planes transporting and packing them in and out of the house then I do to them at the flying sites

Comment

Mine didn't come with a reciever, since I fly frsky I didn't want it. I have to buy based on bang for the bucks. That is why brand loyalty doesn't mean much to me. That also keeps things in this hobby going, it keeps the competition high as a result increases quality of product from all. Are there duds, certainly every company has one now and then. But for the most part every plane I've own from freewing, fms, eflite, great planes, who ever, has been a solid flyer. They cant afford not to be in such a competitive market.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

I have been contemplating getting the Free Wing 90 mm F-4 in the Camo scheme also, once I sell a couple 3D giants. I already have two A-10,s and two F-16's. rifleman you are right all depends on MONEY LOL!!! and at the moment my pockets are not that deep. P.S. nice test flight on your E-Flite F-4 Phantom rifleman.
                        Man this plane is my go to jet when I want to fly a scale jet. Has the vertical when I want it, the speed when i want it, and it comes in so nice and easy, i can just relax and let her ride on in. Shes flys so smooth it should be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                          Mine didn't come with a reciever, since I fly frsky I didn't want it. I have to buy based on bang for the bucks. That is why brand loyalty doesn't mean much to me. That also keeps things in this hobby going, it keeps the competition high as a result increases quality of product from all. Are there duds, certainly every company has one now and then. But for the most part every plane I've own from freewing, fms, eflite, great planes, who ever, has been a solid flyer. They cant afford not to be in such a competitive market.
                          Nicely stated rifleman. Same here I am not brand loyal either. I fly many brands and all sizes from 3D to racers, from 40% to peanut scale. also do a lot of float flying this time of the year, love flying off the snow in the winter time with floats.I also do a lot of instrurting too. I now have 5 student's and working on the 6th to get two years of free AMA ( SIGN THREE FLY FREE Program ) I was out this morning flying a few EDF's and doing a little Inst. also. The F-4 was among the group planes and Choppers I took put today

Comment

All I can say is, I lost a lot of enthusiasm for eFlite when Horizon Hobby decided that Motion RC could no longer carry their products, which also means, I can no longer order spare parts for eFlite birds from MRC.

I have 3 Freewing EDFs now, and am contemplating a fourth, and one of the factors that weighs heavily into my decision is, that Freewing spare parts are usually more readily available than eFlite spares (and typically more reasonably priced, too).

Comment

I did too, but the issues you and I have with HH, that someone flies peanut scale, 40%’s, helos and is an instructor doesn’t answer the OPs question about which is a better F-4 (not counting price).

the Free Wing is the better plane. :)

Comment

Well, I *did* mention the issues with getting eFlite parts versus Freewing parts. Availability of spare parts is one factor in deciding which plane is the better choice.

In my limited experience as well, it seems HH is more likely to discontinue a model, and support thereof, than Freewing is, so spare parts in the future become even more difficult to find.

Comment

I have no problem getting parts. For any brand plane I have.

Comment

Even when deployed to Iraq I could get parts for the planes i could fly there

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      I did too, but the issues you and I have with HH, that someone flies peanut scale, 40%’s, helos and is an instructor doesn’t answer the OPs question about which is a better F-4 (not counting price).

the Free Wing is the better plane. :)
                                      That may be your Opinion, but not mine. My choice is the E-flite F-4 Phantom. At this point in time the Free wing would be a second choice, I have no problem with parts for the E-flite birds. they are in stock if needed and they are, comparatively priced. So those of you are wanting to know which one. Buy the E-Flite for convenience of assembly, programming and you will be in the air the same day the plane arrives on your door step. There is a reason some would rather buy the E-Flite birds some do not want mess around, nor understand how to program an external gyro. nor do they want to have to buy one then have to ins. it program it then have to go fly it to make sure it is set up properly. There are some who have crashed due to improperly programmed external gyro's. So those that do not want to do all these extra steps, is the reason they would rather buy an E-Flite EDF, and price is to. As an Instrutor I also do a lot of Test flights for many people. I also have many, many people call me with programming problems. I do have an array of both E-flite EDF's and Free Wing EDF's For those who are on the Fence about which one to buy. I hope this helps

Comment

Eflite is a much nicer flyer! Set up, ready to go!

Comment

Working...
                                        X