You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would be interested in a FreeWing F-14 V2/refresh?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would be interested in a FreeWing F-14 V2/refresh?

I'm 'new' to the hobby after being out for almost 20 years. I've come back pretty furiously after seeing the impressive development and takeover of foam electrics. I've got the 80mm A10, e-flite f-4, and recently pre-ordered the new mig-29 after seeing the impressive unveiling. I would have bought the F-14 (my favorite jet fighter ever) first, but the fit and finish on the new mig was insane. Alpha and team hit an absolute grand slam. I am 100% going to purchase the f-14 next, but wondered how much interest there is in a potential refresh of the f-14 to the newest standard that alpha has set with the latest mig. I'm not just talking about the retracts, spacious cabin, powerplant etc. I'm talking the stunning fit and finish, killer paint/graphics, size and scale. I hope others would be into an update for this icon, but also understand if it really wouldn't be worth Alpha's valuable time since he cranks out a new stunner every year. I wonder where the f-14 ranks on motion's jet sales and hope it's high so they see the value and potential of doing it.

I’d love a new f-14 as well. However, if the current f-14 sells well i doubt they’d do a refresh. Alpha has mentioned the almost half a million it costs to get a new airplane to market.

i hope I’m wrong and they come out with a huge new twin 90 tomcat but i doubt it.

Comment

Here's my suggestion on the F-14. Get the ARF+ ($439), then buy two of the T-33 80mm inrunner power systems ($76 each), and match them with the A-10 ESC set ($119). This is basically the same power setup as the upcoming Mig-29 and should push the F-14 very well. I'm currently building my second one and repainting into the old VF-1 Wolfpack scheme from the 70's, and will be putting this power system in it instead.

As far as the fitment of the foam, the only bad part is the cover over the wing sweep mechanism. But we've found that if you trim the foam on the underside of the cover in certain places, it fits better.

Since this is already a twin 80mm bird, don't expect a "V2" from Freewing. The only thing I could see them doing is offering a "high performance" version with this new inrunner system.
      Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        Here's my suggestion on the F-14. Get the ARF+ ($439), then buy two of the T-33 80mm inrunner power systems ($76 each), and match them with the A-10 ESC set ($119). This is basically the same power setup as the upcoming Mig-29 and should push the F-14 very well. I'm currently building my second one and repainting into the old VF-1 Wolfpack scheme from the 70's, and will be putting this power system in it instead.

As far as the fitment of the foam, the only bad part is the cover over the wing sweep mechanism. But we've found that if you trim the foam on the underside of the cover in certain places, it fits better.

Since this is already a twin 80mm bird, don't expect a "V2" from Freewing. The only thing I could see them doing is offering a "high performance" version with this new inrunner system.
        I did just this. Bought the ARF from Motion and the complete power system (IR’s, ESCs, BEC) from RC Castle. Thanks for the tip about trimming the underside of the swing wing cover. I’ll also clear coat all the foam surfaces. Viewing the RC Informer build video and taking notes.

Comment

Here's how mine ended up after a lot of work trimming and heat massaging. Also a lot of battery area clean up.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	under hood.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	269138Click image for larger version

Name:	image-bc975dab.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	269139Click image for larger version

Views:	662
ID:	269143Click image for larger version

Name:	f14.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	269140Click image for larger version

Name:	image-71bd8b7c.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	269141Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	269142Click image for larger version

Views:	697
ID:	269144

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post

I will wait to hear your report out on how that works! If it's good, I will probably follow your lead. I guess I don't mind reinforcing the landing gear, carving out the battery cavern, and trimming the foam under the sweep wing to get it to function properly; it's just that I'd rather not have to do all that. My guess is that if Alpha had another crack at this in 2020 he would change some of these things to match the quality being achieved on the new jets. Imagine this tomcat at the size and quality of the new Mig. Either way, I am going to buy it but now I'm going to wait for Pat to report back on the t-33 power system in this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by evensen007 View Post

I will wait to hear your report out on how that works! If it's good, I will probably follow your lead. I guess I don't mind reinforcing the landing gear, carving out the battery cavern, and trimming the foam under the sweep wing to get it to function properly; it's just that I'd rather not have to do all that. My guess is that if Alpha had another crack at this in 2020 he would change some of these things to match the quality being achieved on the new jets. Imagine this tomcat at the size and quality of the new Mig. Either way, I am going to buy it but now I'm going to wait for Pat to report back on the t-33 power system in this thing!
              There’s a few videos out there on Facebook of the tomcat flying with that power sysytem. Check EDF clubhouse or Motion RC customer community.

Comment

I’ve flown mine with the a10 power system, upgraded main gear support and battery tray mod. I don’t see a need for a v2. It’s a heavy bird and most of the weight is in the swing wing mechanics. These wings are built to support this bird by just the pivot bolt so I’m sure the wings are heavier than normal carbon spar types. The only upgrade I would’ve like to see would be those rotating gear. Love my dirty cat.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm always up for bigger, better, faster, more.

I think part of the trend of advanced tech would be lighter weight materials without compromising integrity/strength. If we can increase strength and durability while decreasing weight, wow. Maybe a pipe dream but that is the goal. Imagine flying a giant scale F-14 with full amenities yet with a relatively low wing load? Incredible.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
                    I’ve flown mine with the a10 power system, upgraded main gear support and battery tray mod. I don’t see a need for a v2. It’s a heavy bird and most of the weight is in the swing wing mechanics. These wings are built to support this bird by just the pivot bolt so I’m sure the wings are heavier than normal carbon spar types. The only upgrade I would’ve like to see would be those rotating gear. Love my dirty cat.
                    GREAT weathering! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      I'm always up for bigger, better, faster, more.

I think part of the trend of advanced tech would be lighter weight materials without compromising integrity/strength. If we can increase strength and durability while decreasing weight, wow. Maybe a pipe dream but that is the goal. Imagine flying a giant scale F-14 with full amenities yet with a relatively low wing load? Incredible.
                      This guy gets it! :) YES, please!

Comment

Lighter than foam would mean composite materials. Carbon wing box, hollow fuse.

Comment

JMB Jets is using something fairly new called Airex on their composite turbine jets. It's a foam-type material with a hard shell like fiberglass. I have their MB-339 and it weighs about 18 lbs wet with an 80 size turbine. The Freewing A-10 is 13 lbs AUW, so it's not far off that. Of course, Freewing would need to totally redo how they make models. They're doing balsa kits now, maybe one day they'll move up to selling turbine kits as well.
                          Pat

Comment

Actually freewing is not doing balsa models as far as I know. Motion carries other brands that do balsa kits but freewing is all foamie.

Comment

Yeah, I meant Motion is carrying balsa kits now. Maybe one day they'll start stocking some turbine stuff.
                              Pat

Comment

I’m in the fence right now with turbine. I’d love one but I don’t have many fields that allow them. The one field by me that does allow it does not have a great runway. At best it’s bumpy grass/ hard packed sand. Not very friendly especially for a turbine blade. But these small turbines look promising to adapt to a nice foamie in my opinion. Adding more power than a edf would make planes like the 90mm f16 wake up.

Comment

Working...
                                X