You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing A6 or Eflite A10 as a first edf?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing A6 or Eflite A10 as a first edf?

I know maybe I'm comparing apples to broccoli, but I love both of these planes and as long as they aren't discontinued I know I will own both, eventually. I love motionrc and prefer to buy from them, no question. So that's not a factor.

The Eflite A 10 seems like a kitten and a cougar, based on the videos I've watched. I love the A 10, and someone I know owns the Eflite version and keeps saying that's the one in 64mm to own. I'm open to differing opinions if someone has some thoughts?

The A6 looks like a fun plane to fly, and I was a navy brat and saw many an A6 fly over my house. Even though as a kid the newer F14s and F18s were the pinnacle, I was still made aware of how badass the A6's were. I must have!! But is it a kitten and a cougar as well?

I have a few warbirds that fly on 4s and one of the places I fly has a long "runway." Its dirt but smooth. I know that the A6 doesn't have suspension and that has been an issue for some people. As a side question I wonder if there is a drop in replacement for that nose gear with suspension?

To narrow it down, does anyone have both of these planes? And which one flies more predictable, I know it's a silly sounding question, but you know what I'm getting at. Which one flies low speed without a nasty tip stall?

I know there are.a number of "beginner" edfs out there. I don't want just a trainer plane with an edf, they are cheap enough but I'd like to have a scale plane with a nice flight envelope.

A-10

Comment

The E-flite A-10 has a big advantage for you, it comes with AS3X/SAFE. I don't like the AS3X settings that come from the factory, but for someone new to EDF's it should work great.

The A-6 flies pretty much like a trainer as well. I've never found any bad flight qualities, but I've only had the newer version available today. I did drop the new 3658-1857kV inrunner/12b in mine, same motor/fan the HP version comes with. It does provide some additional power.

Comment

i would not recommend either of them for several different reasons, but if it has to be one of the two, i would go with the e-flite A10, she gives you safe and AS3x which is a big plus for a first EDF.

Comment

Originally posted by WarbirdFan66 View Post
          i would not recommend either of them for several different reasons, but if it has to be one of the two, i would go with the e-flite A10, she gives you safe and AS3x which is a big plus for a first EDF.
          What would you recommend and or why wouldn't you recommend either of these? I have a few warbirds with upgraded esc's that are faster than stock. Watching the A10 being flown it looks like it slows down nicely to within the speed range of what I'm flying currently. I'm genuinely trying to gain experienced knowledge on this, so I am curious on your thoughts. I do see the advantage of a cheaper model to learn edfs with. Maybe those have a wider flight envelope and a better glide? What attributes should I be looking for that might bridge the gap between fast low wing props and the A10 or A6? Of course I want sucess!

Comment

And any particular bird you would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post

What would you recommend and or why wouldn't you recommend either of these? I have a few warbirds with upgraded esc's that are faster than stock. Watching the A10 being flown it looks like it slows down nicely to within the speed range of what I'm flying currently. I'm genuinely trying to gain experienced knowledge on this, so I am curious on your thoughts. I do see the advantage of a cheaper model to learn edfs with. Maybe those have a wider flight envelope and a better glide? What attributes should I be looking for that might bridge the gap between fast low wing props and the A10 or A6? Of course I want sucess!
              well as a first EDF i would probably go with a 70mm Freewing BAE Hawk or a FMS YAK130, good visibility ,they both have very stable flight charactaritics and a wide and stable landing gear, something the A6 is missing for example , and dont get me wrong i love the A6 but the twist and turn main gear is not suitable for all surfaces and needs a good landing everytime which can be a bit of an issue as a beginner in EDF´s..And if you want something a little bit bigger i would say the Freewing L-39 or the T33 are pretty good, but of course i dont know your flying style or your flight experiance in general. and If you are more of a e-flite guy, also the Viper could be something for you too. Flys very good, a solid plane with AS3x and Safe and easier to handle than the A-10 for example, but the länding gear is not the best, but at least that one can be easily repaired or bend back into position if one landing is not super perfect, otherwise a good performing jet. but the most important thing of all is, it has to be a jet "you" like...hope that made some sense.

Comment

Thank you! That's extremely helpful! I don't really have a brand loyalty. I'm more into the aircraft, how it looks and flies. And the quality of the airframe, solid working mechanics, and unfortunately durability. I'm grateful for your input. I'll get an edf that I can abuse a little.

Comment

Thank you! That's extremely helpful! I don't really have a brand loyalty. I'm more into the aircraft, how it looks and flies. And the quality of the airframe, solid working mechanics, and unfortunately durability. I'm grateful for your input. I'll get an edf that I can abuse a little.
                  you are welcome, and if you find the time, please let us know which plane you chose in the end, cheers mate.

Comment

WarbirdFan66 Uh, this is the rc addicts anon forum, correct? So I can talk freely? I will end up with both more than likely. I'm partial to U.S. Navy planes but the A10 has always been a head turner for me. I would say most ground attack planes catch my eye. However, I did order the A6, I couldn't resist any longer. I know I have a problem. But I plan on making it my winter project and diving deeper down the hole and work on weathering and finishing. I'll practice on my warbirds. I did order the standard A6 because one of the chat reps at motionrc stated that he didn't think they would be getting the high performance one back in, now I'm doubting the validity of that and hope I didn't make a mistake that I will pay for later in the form of the upgraded motor. I am sure I will own a fast jet in the future too, so having the A6 in the original flavor might be fine. I hope.

All that being said, I am going to take your advice and probably get the Freewing Hawk. I'm still weighing out the attributes of the FmsYak and the FW Hawk. I say I don't have brand loyalty but I do like motionrc and the Freewing and Flightline planes. But the FMS sounds like a quality plane as well. I do like the base grey version of the Hawk and would probably paint it as the T45 Goshawk.

They both look like comparable trainers, I wonder if either stands above the other, flight times, landing gear resilience? Thanks again for input. I wouldn't have given either of them consideration yet now that I am, they both do seem like a really good way to go.

Comment

SanExup, seems we are in the same boat!

I fully understand your thinking. I have bought Freewing L39 , Gripen, and Hawk.

But honestly I haven't gathered courage to fly EDF yet. I also think I need more practice!!!

Comment

long-love-rc The Gripen! I actually had an epp slope-soaring\pusher prop gripen many years ago, I would love to have an edf gripen. But I'm seeing that a nice flying trainer might be the better choice for me, for now! The Hawk looks like a really fun plane!

Comment

WarbirdFan66 Uh, this is the rc addicts anon forum, correct? So I can talk freely? I will end up with both more than likely. I'm partial to U.S. Navy planes but the A10 has always been a head turner for me. I would say most ground attack planes catch my eye. However, I did order the A6, I couldn't resist any longer. I know I have a problem. But I plan on making it my winter project and diving deeper down the hole and work on weathering and finishing. I'll practice on my warbirds. I did order the standard A6 because one of the chat reps at motionrc stated that he didn't think they would be getting the high performance one back in, now I'm doubting the validity of that and hope I didn't make a mistake that I will pay for later in the form of the upgraded motor. I am sure I will own a fast jet in the future too, so having the A6 in the original flavor might be fine. I hope.

All that being said, I am going to take your advice and probably get the Freewing Hawk. I'm still weighing out the attributes of the FmsYak and the FW Hawk. I say I don't have brand loyalty but I do like motionrc and the Freewing and Flightline planes. But the FMS sounds like a quality plane as well. I do like the base grey version of the Hawk and would probably paint it as the T45 Goshawk.

They both look like comparable trainers, I wonder if either stands above the other, flight times, landing gear resilience? Thanks again for input. I wouldn't have given either of them consideration yet now that I am, they both do seem like a really good way to go.
                          congrats on your new A6 Intruder, and by the way the idea of truning the base grey Hawk into a goshawk sounds like a fun project too, love that color scheme, blue skys :)

Comment

I learned to fly EDFs with a Freewing Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
                              I learned to fly EDFs with a Freewing Avanti.
                              Nice, also a good jet (and edf-beginner friendly too) even it is not really down my alley. My first EDF was a j-power A7e Corsair II, and i still have it. Had to mod it a short while ago, because it looked like it was in action since WWI (lol). I put a Wemotec 70mm edf-unit in it which turned into a super sweet ride...an awesome plane even it is and older and smaler jet. But as a beginner plane/jet it was very good, easy to launch and with no landing gear, easy to land too. But compared to modern model jets this is a dinosaur

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20160705_001_k300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.9 KB ID:	277503

Comment

Originally posted by WarbirdFan66 View Post

Nice, also a good jet (and edf-beginner friendly too) even it is not really down my alley. My first EDF was a j-power A7e Corsair II, and i still have it. Had to mod it a short while ago, because it looked like it was in action since WWI (lol). I put a Wemotec 70mm edf-unit in it which turned into a super sweet ride...an awesome plane even it is and older and smaler jet. But as a beginner plane/jet it was very good, easy to launch and with no landing gear, easy to land too. But compared to modern model jets this is a dinosaur

Click image for larger version Name:	WP_20160705_001_k300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.9 KB ID:	277503
                                I prefer the warbird style jets as well but to learn you can't do any better than the Avanti IMO... I did hot rod it up with the FMS 2100kv inrunner and a 3 printed nozzle that bumped up the thrust a bit over that too. Thing really moves out but it doesn't look nearly as cool as my F4...

Comment

I've been thinking about the A7. I lived on a navy base as a kid that had a mothballed A7 on a popsicle stick display near the entrance gate to the base. I'd see it every day and daydream about flying it. I didn't know it at the time and still can't believe it replaced the A4. The A4 was the blue Angel's plane at the time, which as a kid, the A4 was the ultimate. Until the F18 of course.

But yeah, I have quite a few 4s cells. I've been wondering how that A7 flies, the Mig too. I wish they would get the Mig 17 back in stock.

Comment

I've been thinking about the A7. I lived on a navy base as a kid that had a mothballed A7 on a popsicle stick display near the entrance gate to the base. I'd see it every day and daydream about flying it. I didn't know it at the time and still can't believe it replaced the A4. The A4 was the blue Angel's plane at the time, which as a kid, the A4 was the ultimate. Until the F18 of course.

But yeah, I have quite a few 4s cells. I've been wondering how that A7 flies, the Mig too. I wish they would get the Mig 17 back in stock.
                                    Mig 17 that HobbyKing sells is in stock in a lot of the warehouses around the world. I've got one coming in this week... can't wait. Supposed to fly amazing.

Comment

ScottyDsntKnow Yes the Avios looks good! I have looked at that one a few times. I was thinking the Freewing one motionrc sells, I guess I meant the Mig 15, an inexpensive jet for my 4s battery collection. But I'd love to see a photo or two of your Mig once you have it.

On a side note, are you a MotoGP fan? It seems like MotoGp is as big as footbal/soccer in Spain, but maybe that isn't the case. A few racers live the good life in Andalucia it seems.

Comment

I am. I was in the Jerez Auto Club when the Jerez track was designed and built. I got to do a few circuits during that period. I went back for many MotoGPs but haven’t for the last few years. My kids live in Sevilla so I get there quite a bit.

Spain has been dominating for years. Going back to the ‘60’s road racing was huge in Jerez and Spain in general.

Comment

Working...
                                        X