You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing A6 or Eflite A10 as a first edf?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	1A409534-CE87-4851-AE02-E2D79AC9D436.jpeg
Views:	451
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	277612Click image for larger version

Name:	53B2FC66-BA3F-4BD4-8341-A923DE3B38DC.jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	277613Click image for larger version

Name:	D2370307-6E24-4A98-994B-2D9A236BE026.jpeg
Views:	427
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	277614 On topic... the HK 90mm MiG17... with the new FW and Arrows 29’s too.

Comment

Evan D So jealous, Spain is high on my list! Were you in the service? What brought you to Jerez?

I almost like model aeronautics as much as MotoGp, I've ridden moto both road and dirt since I was young. I really need to make it to Spain for a race. I used to live really close to Laguna Seca and was fortunate enough to see Schwantz and Rainey race there. It's been my religion ever since. I'd like to see a race live while Vale is still racing, and I'd like to see a race in Spain or Italy. The energy at the races seems palpable there. The passion for moto racing seems inherent.
      Half of my family is French but in Sweden, so I had a loose plan of going to the new Finnish Kymiring thus year, before Covid, hopefully next year and maybe Spain instead. I hope you don't feel too cut off from your kids in Sevilla!

Comment

I would go A10. It flys so nicely at any speed.

Comment

Freewing T-33 was my first EDF and is as much a trainer as the full size. Great flying airplane!

Comment

Evan D You're killing me. I like my plane collection but it's hard not to covet yours! I completely understand why you'd own two Mig 29s. And the Mig17, geez. I can see I'm going to need some adversary planes...

Comment

rifleman_btx Roughly, what range of battery packs have you flown it with? Both cells and mah. Have you settled on a pack size that you prefer?

Comment

I was in the service then, 4 years in Rota, and got married there, actually in Gibraltar in the same room John and Yoko were married. Raced moto X, CR500, RM125 and a Puch 50 all around southern Spain, a bit of up hill racing and other car racing. Had a great 427 powered Camaro and a very trick ‘77 KZ1000 while there... I went to various GP and Moto GP in Laguna Seca too while stationed at Pt. Mugu. Was at the corkscrew when Mick lost it and ended up sitting in the middle of the track, maybe 1991?

What are your current bikes? R1 and CRF450r for me but at 64 in a month I’m only fast in my mind :)

Who's in the wheel chair in the one pic?

Click image for larger version  Name:	NWML4690.JPG Views:	0 Size:	179.0 KB ID:	277634Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0179.JPG Views:	0 Size:	175.8 KB ID:	277636Click image for larger version  Name:	4050C31B-9B4C-4F7B-8C97-317DFC47FC5D.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	277628

Not too cut off, we talk just about everyday. But yeah no trip this year...
                Attached Files

Comment

Evan D I have a '14 CBR600, I rode a Gsxr750 and a FZR400 in the 90s.Yamaha's are so nice. I do love my CBR and the 600 size, but if I get a liter bike it will be an R1. I have two 450 KTMs 07 and an 08. I'll get around to converting one to supermoto eventually.

Nice, it sounds like you took advantage at the right time in Spain, on multiple fronts! To have access to tracks and different types of racing must have been so fun. I have mostly focused my fast riding on dirt over the years but was dragging my knee at a younger age. But these days there are good opportunities for track days in places not too far from me. Another thing that I was planning for this summer but was derailed by the virus.

I was most definitely at Laguna Seca in 91 for that race at the corkscrew! Small world! Honestly I don't remember Doohan's crash, vaguely remembering my brother pointing it out, but I was such a huge fan of Schwantz and Suzuki's that I'm sure I was focused on where he was.

Comment

Evan D And as well as your Migs I think I want that 427 Camaro too!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	1A409534-CE87-4851-AE02-E2D79AC9D436.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	225.4 KB ID:	277612Click image for larger version  Name:	53B2FC66-BA3F-4BD4-8341-A923DE3B38DC.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	153.4 KB ID:	277613Click image for larger version  Name:	D2370307-6E24-4A98-994B-2D9A236BE026.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	219.5 KB ID:	277614 On topic... the HK 90mm MiG17... with the new FW and Arrows 29’s too.
                      Very nice MIG collection man, i was thinking about a similar "red" paintjob on my own MIG-17 but than went with a more traditional camo scheme, a very nice plane if you ask me even if you have to work a little bit more in some cases, HKs quality is unfortunately not always up to spec.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200408_063359_k300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	277715

Comment

I agree, love that scheme you did. Very nice.

Comment

I'm in the service right now, stationed at Rota. Active USAF. Live in Chipiona which is amazing. Right now its nice and quiet like it is for most of the year, extremely walkable, very cheap to live. Summer is literally South Beach Miami with the eye candy to match... not exaggerating lol. Its about 20 minutes to Jerez from here, the moto events were nuts when we had them before Corona lol. I brought a 2000 Mustang GT with a worked suspension and a Cobra engine swap over here when I came and I really wanted to run it there but... maybe it'll be open next year lol. The only negative I guess is that during bike week the crotch rocket guys from all over the continent swarm all the towns here and act like jackasses for the most part... not all of them but they blast up and down residential streets and do burnout competitions at 2AM in ppl's driveways etc lol. Last year before Corona the Junta was out in force tho and made a lot of arrests right at the start and I think they got the message. Then it wound up being fun to see all the bikes running around.

As for RC here... my club is a little... "ratchet" is the best word. The field is just gravel in the middle of a bunch of cornfields and really tiny but I love it. The people are great and a lot of cool aircraft. We also go up to Lebrija near Sevilla when we have bigger aircraft to fly, there is a club right next to Gibraltar I want to visit and the club in El Puerto de Santa Maria has a paved runway which is cool. If there are any other RCers around this area feel free to come visit and I'll try to get up to Lebrija again soon when military is allowed to move between provinces. Lebrija is like... 5 minutes over the Cadiz/Sevilla border. As far as this club too when I do eventually go back to the states I'm gonna have 0 issues with landings with the amount of crosswind and ditches on either side of a 10 meter wide gravel runway lol.

On topic... I might actually grab the little Mig 15 too just to say I have it... and the paintjob on the Avios 17 I'm going to be doing it very similar to WarbirdFan66. As for the Mig29, I'm going to wait for it to come in stock on MotionEU and get the ARF+ and get the thrust vectoring kit. I just wish they had the same paint scheme as the Arrows one but that's nothing that some good paint can't fix...

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                            rifleman_btx Roughly, what range of battery packs have you flown it with? Both cells and mah. Have you settled on a pack size that you prefer?
                            I'm running 6s 4500mah in mine. 45c I believe

Comment

If I get the FW A10 I'm gonna go for broke and get the 90mm nacelles and do FMS 90mm inrunners on 8S.

Comment

I don't believe you Scotty. Show us!

Comment

The Mustang? Lol ok I'll have to get some new pics, we just moved and its in the garage surrounded by boxes and airplanes.

As far as the Mig 17, I just got it in the other night. Quality out of the box is bleh. Dents in the foam, the paint finish is crap and 2 servos failed right out of the box. Will be replacing all the flight control servos with FW metal gear ones I have from another crashed EDF I have still. Filling in the dents with Hobbico balsa filler which works great for foam, then going to sand and paint the whole thing. Fully silver and probably frog tape all the way around the fuse in front of the tail and make the whole tail red. Then a fine black marker art pen I'm gonna "borrow" from the wife's art station to do the panel lines and some vallejo brown paint for weathering. I'm waiting for a Gooniac afterburner to come in which won't be here for like 2 weeks so trying to have it all ready to go when that arrives.

Comment

See if img links still work in 2020 lol. I have not driven it a ton lately... RC has taken up a lot of my time plus with all the lockdowns and restrictions... keeping miles of it, it only has 40k.

edit: yay embedding images still works. My circa 2004 photobucket skills are still relevant!

IRS with a Full Tilt Boogie complete kit in it. Front suspension in these pics was coilovers with the stock K and A arms with aftermarket bushings, swaybar etc...

Getting ready to put in a full Max Motorsports front into it this winter along with longtubes and a fresh tune.

Comment

Evan D, WarbirdFan66, rifleman_btx

Total success! Thanks for your recommendations and insight. I ended up getting the A10 and the Freewing Hawk. It snowed last week here and the wind has been gusty as hell. This morning the wind finally was calm, it was freezing but it had to be done. I flew them both. I usually would never maiden flight two models at the same time and my first EDF's, it's not my style really. However, I was chomping at the bit and loaded them both in my truck thinking I would choose one over the other. I flew the A10 first. Holy ****! It was so locked in from the get go. No trimming needed at all. I had gone with a slight aft CG based on what others have been saying. Low rates on ailerons and high on elevator, usually I prefer the opposite but this was the way to go, 25% expo. It flies how I imagined an A10 would, like a fine tuned race car with pickup truck looks. Two flights, total success. It's so fast! With that I had to fly the Hawk too. It took a little longer on takeoff but is a rocket in the air. I did get the inrunner performance version, but I think it's just the sleeker airframe too. It's faster than the A10. I did a couple of laps to trim it out and brought it in. I need to read up on it. I went with the recommended throws and CG. I was on low rates but it was so twitchy/sensitive on the elevator. I landed it fine but not my best, more like flying to the ground with wheels down than a landing. I turned down the elevator throws added a little more expo and went for another flight. Kind of the same thing. I tried some rolls and they weren't axial, more barrel shaped. I think I have the CG wrong. Another aggressive landing and bent the nose gear. I fly from unimproved dirt too so it's good and mashed now. I was on the sticks, it's my fault for certain, I can do better. Into the maintenance hanger it goes. But even with all of that, once I get it set I can see it being a favorite plane if the gear can take it!.

I know full sized Migs are designed for unimproved runways. Are there any Edfs that have bush tires or long travel shocks? I'm half joking and half serious.

Comment

Congrats on the new planes. Time to buy more!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                          Evan D, WarbirdFan66, rifleman_btx

I know full sized Migs are designed for unimproved runways. Are there any Edfs that have bush tires or long travel shocks? I'm half joking and half serious.
                                          The go to jet for great grass handling I would go to the 80mm freewing avanti. It's just an awesome plane in itself

Comment

Working...
                                          X