You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing A-6 receiver and CG suggestions...?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing A-6 receiver and CG suggestions...?

Hello all!

I'm new to this community and glad to have such a great resource to help me be a better flier!

I just bought and maidened my A-6 (and sadly crashed)... I'm going to get another but wanted to ask some questions about how all you A-6 drivers have yours set up. I'm using a DX8G2 and a new Admiral rcvr with gyro/recovery mode and a Spektrum Smart 4000/6S. According to the manual the CG is 265-280mm from intake nacelle...to do this my battery was REALLY far forward...almost in the nose?! I've had my mates confirm the manuals' recommendations and my set up and it balanced...but during flight the A-6 required a GREAT deal of nose up elevator. Perhaps you A-6ers could give me some advice on how you set yours up? Perhaps with photos of your battery installed....I'd like to see your battery placement and where your CG is. I think the manual is less than accurate...I could be wrong???. Also, how did you set up your rates? As per manual? Also, which receiver you're using.

I know...a lot of questions!

The crash was my rcvr lost signal/brown out because the A-6 suddenly pitched up, engine failed, then nosed over and all but DOVE for the ground at about 60 degrees. The rcvr then suddenly reconnected but too late for to recover...😕. She's a parts doaner now...alas. If at first...etc.

Anyway, thanks in advance...stay safe and happy holidays to all!

pbrstreetgang Hello, sorry for the loss! Welcome to the forum.

While I own the A6, I haven't flown it yet, my work has me buried currently. But I have read a lot about the FW A6. I was trying to find the CG measurements for you but can't seem to locate a dimension. What I have found on other threads is that most people flying with a 4000 have it pushed all the way back. And they have been using the rearward given CG and even aft of that. Some accounts say even an inch or more. Someone will probably reply with a working CG. If I locate it in the near future I will fill you in. My unassembled Intruder is on my workbench, so I am motivated to find out the CG as well.

Do a search on this forum and Rcgroups on the Freewing A6, lots of info...

Comment

Hey there SanExup!

Thanks and I appreciate your info! The manual shows a CG range of 265-280mm (range is only about 1/2 in.) measured from engine intake nacelles.

Moving forward, could you keep me informed what you experience and maybe include your battery placement?

Also, what RCVR will you use?

Comment

Hello pbrstreetgang (Andrew S) and welcome to the Squawk.

Your PM to me is the same question as posed on this thread so I am going to answer you here so that others may benefit from the insight of where the "better" and more optimum CofG should be.
        Just a little history on this airframe, the fuselage that is now available is a v2 whereas the internal battery tray area has had the rear bulkhead moved aft approx. an inch and half (1.5").
        The tray and bulkhead is a plywood combo whereas in the initial v1 release it was a foam tray floor and aft bulkhead that early users as myself actually cut out that bulkhead
        in order to be able to slide the battery further aft in order to achieve a better flying CG.
        I guess the fact that the factory now has the v2 (which I now own) with a further aft bulkhead says it all but the irony is they didn't update the manual to
        reflect a more appropriate CG range. Now having said that, here is where the community based opinion (including myself) says the CG range should be at...……. 285-290mm.
        That equates to a 4000-5000mAh LiPo all the way aft to the bulkhead. In my airframe the AR8000 Rx and the Eagle A3-L sit up in the very front of the tray.
        I very seldom use a gyro but in this case I use it just for landing because it can react quicker than I can when the ground effects (less than 3 ft) start to cause instability at full flap with slow airspeeds.
        This bird is still the pride n joy of my fleet and most likely because I'm biased do to the fact that served on the Iron Tadpole in the early 70's.
        Here's my model with my squadron VA-35 when we were assigned to the Nimitz.
        The book is of the Nimitz 76 Med Cruise and my last cruise before re-entry back into civy life.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20150609_003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	289875

Best Regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hello OV10,

Right off...your A6 looks great. I suppose you have some great tales you could tell from your Nimitz days!

Thanks for the info regarding the v1 & v2. I suspected the manuals GC was not appropriate and now it make sense knowing there are 2 versions!

I’ve always enjoyed the iconic look of the A6 and will get another when it’s available (backordered at this time).

I’m certain many RC A6 pilots will benefit from your message.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by pbrstreetgang View Post

....I'm using a DX8G2 and a new Admiral rcvr .....

The crash was my rcvr lost signal/brown out because the A-6 suddenly pitched up, engine failed, then nosed over and all but DOVE for the ground at about 60 degrees. The rcvr then suddenly reconnected but too late for to recover...😕. She's a parts doaner now...alas. If at first...etc.
            Yours is not the first report I've come across of a brown out in one of these receivers leading to a crash.

Comment

Thanks, yeah...I really thought it was gonna be good....the set up wasn’t difficult and was straightforward: rates, expos, range test, recovery, etc. but then ... what the hell?!!

I’m willing to admit I’m not that experienced and will cop to my own limitations but I did follow all the instructions and for 3 laps around the field it was good but then....dead stick...it wasn’t good and it cost me an A-6

perhaps a better pilot could’ve wrangled it it to the ground...? Not me.

maybe I had a faulty unit...?

alas.

live and learn...I’ll take the hit and grow from it.

I love the a-6 and will get another!

thanks for note.

Comment

I thought I had written it down, but...Does anyone know what scale the FW A6 is? I really want to have some Mk82s and pylons printed out. I know rcgeek prints them for the A4 but I'm not sure if the A6 is the same scale. (I can see the value of owning a 3d printer)

Comment

I thought I found it on a forum but still can't find if its 1/6 or 1/14, based on callie's offerings

Comment

1/14, became obvious when I saw a 1/5 scale, massive.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                      Hello pbrstreetgang (Andrew S) and welcome to the Squawk.

Your PM to me is the same question as posed on this thread so I am going to answer you here so that others may benefit from the insight of where the "better" and more optimum CofG should be.
                      Just a little history on this airframe, the fuselage that is now available is a v2 whereas the internal battery tray area has had the rear bulkhead moved aft approx. an inch and half (1.5").
                      The tray and bulkhead is a plywood combo whereas in the initial v1 release it was a foam tray floor and aft bulkhead that early users as myself actually cut out that bulkhead
                      in order to be able to slide the battery further aft in order to achieve a better flying CG.
                      I guess the fact that the factory now has the v2 (which I now own) with a further aft bulkhead says it all but the irony is they didn't update the manual to
                      reflect a more appropriate CG range. Now having said that, here is where the community based opinion (including myself) says the CG range should be at...……. 285-290mm.
                      That equates to a 4000-5000mAh LiPo all the way aft to the bulkhead. In my airframe the AR8000 Rx and the Eagle A3-L sit up in the very front of the tray.
                      I very seldom use a gyro but in this case I use it just for landing because it can react quicker than I can when the ground effects (less than 3 ft) start to cause instability at full flap with slow airspeeds.
                      This bird is still the pride n joy of my fleet and most likely because I'm biased do to the fact that served on the Iron Tadpole in the early 70's.
                      Here's my model with my squadron VA-35 when we were assigned to the Nimitz.
                      The book is of the Nimitz 76 Med Cruise and my last cruise before re-entry back into civy life.

Click image for larger version Name:	WP_20150609_003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	289875

Best Regards,
                      Man... I've been waiting for this bird to get back in stock. If you're monitoring MRC team...help me out! Got $325 burning a hole in my pocket! I ended up ordering the AL37. It will be my first Freewing plane. Would love to have a second...nudge nudge.

so, you like the A6 eh? She was a killer in Vietnam. Dropped more ordinance than any other platform. Your wing rock on landings... that's a near stall. Just increase your approach speed a bit. I had the same issue with the Eflite F18. You think with huge flaps on the F18 and them both being carrier planes...landing speed should be less than say my Eflite F16 with no flaps. Nope! Gotta land faster. Counterintuitive but...smooths things out. 😁
                      argh...can't wait for them to get back in stock!

Comment

Hey there Gecko 17!

Thanks for the A-6 approach speed info...I’ll keep that in mind!

I hope to get the crashed A-6 back in there air because all I needed was a fuselage and wings. All the gear, servos, fan, etc., still worked so I ordered just those bits.

arrived yesterday...assembly today!

going to try a different RX: Spektrum Ar637T with a remote RX just for insurance.

wish me luck!

Comment

It sounds like it will go fine pbrstreetgang You could double/triple check incidence, rates high and low, CG, range check, control surface direction, flaps, landing gear, etc.Transmitter battery level. Wind direction, stray dogs, unmasked bystanders. But I bet you already are! Have fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pbrstreetgang View Post
                            Hey there Gecko 17!

Thanks for the A-6 approach speed info...I’ll keep that in mind!

I hope to get the crashed A-6 back in there air because all I needed was a fuselage and wings. All the gear, servos, fan, etc., still worked so I ordered just those bits.

arrived yesterday...assembly today!

going to try a different RX: Spektrum Ar637T with a remote RX just for insurance.

wish me luck!
                            Gold luck man!
                            yea, I got the 637T and Avian smart 100amp ESC for the F18. First... I'm not happy you with the 637T. You have to use forward programming in xmitter to configure it. The PC software for the 636 isn't supported. So easy using the app. You kinda have to watch the Spektrum video to figure out some new terms and they use the IX12 connected to a TV! Looks easy like that but not so much if you have like a DX8 gen 2.
                            I can't get the ESC to fit..at least easily in the F18. Kinda bummed. Might just have to get another and use them in the AL37 but...yet to be seen.
                            but yea..you can't use a satellite on the 636 either...which is annoying. Spektrum seems to be making it harder not easier!

Comment

When you guys are checking your CG, do you have the Pylons on the wings and external wing tanks? I'm wasn't sure about even putting the pylons on the wings. Was planning on flying it clean. Kinda of thinking now that the CG is based on having tanks on. Dunno. These Chinese translated manuals are both frustrating and hilarious! Freewing needs to figure that out. EFlite manuals ar much better! And... measuring CG from the intake? Who does that! It should always be from the wing root!

Thanks!

Comment

Hello Gecko17,

I’d highly recommend fly with clean (no armament or fuel tanks) until you are used to the flying characteristics. She’ll be a bit sluggish with that stuff on it...not to mention the center tank sits directly below the bottom engine air intake/vent...!

also, in my manual the CG is too far forward and very nose heavy and in my opinion and should be moved aft quite a bit. I suggest read all the A-6 threads to get a better idea.

see my attached pic as a reference...this works for my A-6...? Perhaps even a bit more aft...I tend to run my planes a bit nose heavy (note i CG mine w/out tanks installed).

also, the manuals full flap setting takes a getting used to...recommend ½ flaps until you’ve got some flights under you belt!

Be mindful of the full flying elevator...perhaps mid-rates or even low-rates...?

good luck!
                                Attached Files

Comment

While I don't fly with tanks the CG should not be changed whether or not you have them on. The CG is based on the wing. Adding the tanks may mean you need to move the battery slightly to get the proper CG but the CG itself doesn't change.

Comment

Right on...thanks guys. Your battery position is pretty close to what they have on the MotionRC video. You know, the dude that can't remember to grab his battery checkers...lol.

Yea, i don't like flying with bombs and tanks other than my Elite A10...because it looks so bloody cool with them.😁 I nearly dirt napped my Eflite F18 loaded turning base. That things with a 6000mah battery with flaps and gear down turns like a pig even clean. Flies very heavy with a 6000 but lucky to get 3 mins with a 4000. It's full flying stabs as well (terrible design on how they connect...widow makers) so... yea, familiar.

Cabling in this A6 is a bit wonky. They updated the power system but it's still very much a 2014 design. Could have done some things better. That damn spring for nose gear door is a nightmare! Wasn't installed by the factor, just hanging there...and now I know why! Brutal trying to get it on.

I've heard from more than a few folks that Freewing is notorious for giving bad CG recommendations. I just got the AL37 about a month ago and have 6-7 flights. Had to some playing around with battery placement to get a good balance. She is a beast but and a different world from the fighters I fly but I do love scale flying and she is all about the scale lol.

Hoping to maiden the A6 today.

Thanks gents,

Comment

Gecko17,

Fantastic! I agree with you!

I’m also the same with my A-10...she flies fine with all the armament on the wings!

I've yet to maiden my OV-10...too windy here lately!

happy skies on your A-6 maiden!

Comment

R/C Intruder guys….the A-6 has always been my favorite. I’m a Naval Aviator who, unfortunately came long after the Intruder was retired. I want to buy one, but am still a little new to R/C. I currently own an EFlite Valiant, F-15, Flightline hand toss P-51D, and the Tophatter Super Hornet E. I’m running a Spektrum DX6e and definitely use AS3x and SAFE as a crutch/“Oh-$H*+” switch. I am pretty good at setting up my flight modes/rates/etc with all Spektrum/Horizon equipment. I can already fly the P-51 pretty well, both Stabilization on and off….the same with my e-flute F-15 64mm…..but, the Intruder (now, with a 6channel DX6e. Mind you…), and then hopefully, the Tomcat, when I upgrade to more channels and experience on my transmitter (the NX8 or NX10 is hopefully being purchased at some point)….I really want to pick this Intruder up and customize her to my DX6e….with a Spektrum rcvr in her. Questions: Can she be customized as far as decals/Squadron look/paint??? What are the best Spektrum receivers, etc, equipment she would be compatible with???? Batteries, ESCs….changing motors???? Any advice on this jet before I buy her would be appreciated. Again, I love Spektrum AS3x and SAFE mode, as a crutch, but love being able to switch it off. Also, paint, customization, decals, etc, are also important. Thanks friends!

Comment

Working...
                                        X