X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing F15 90mm light issue

Hey everyone, I’m new here and new to EDF jets. I purchased a used Freewing F15, and am in the process of fixing it up and getting it ready for my first flight with it. However, I noticed when I plug one of my 6S batteries into it the lights don’t turn on but when I plugged in an eflite motor/speed controller into my receiver instead of the freewing motor/speed control and a 3S battery into that, all lighting functions work. I’m trying to problem solve here and need some guidance. For testing purposes I’m using a spektrum 6 channel AS3x receiver.

any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Travis

So plugged into the same receiver with both batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
      So plugged into the same receiver with both batteries?
      correct

Comment

Did the previous owner of the Freewing F-15 90mm EDF jet provide the stock Freewing external BEC that comes attached/soldered to the main power leads of the stock Freewing 130A ESC, and is the F-15 ESC in fact the 130A Freewing unit? Is that external BEC power lead also also plugged into your receiver (because that external BEC is what will reduce the flight pack voltage of your 6S LiPo down to about 5V to run the electronics appropriately)? Also, I’m assuming your also using the stock light controller that comes with the F-15 as well, correct?

The reason I bring up the external BEC topic is because if you are using your E-Flite ESC, then that may have an internal BEC (check to see if it notes that on the ESC label) and the BEC is powering the electronics through the ESC’s throttle servo lead. You didn’t mention if checked your other electronics for working order when using the E-Flite ESC, such as servos, etc.). Now, the Freewing ESC does not have an internal BEC, and instead uses an external BEC (which must then be plugged into the receiver to power the electronics, which would include power the lights although you’ll need to make sure to use the stock lighting controller as well).

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	C93FFB26-7459-4FC0-B6BE-2E84CE1F0C00.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	300994

This is what I have. As I’ve said, I’m new to this and don’t know exactly what I’m looking at. It’s obviously an FMS 90mm motor, I’m not sure of anything else. I do have the stock lighting controller in the plane though and has 8A UBEC but the plug isn’t plugged into anything at this time since I only have a 6 channel receiver

however, when I tested it with the eflite motor/esc all servos and flight functions worked accordingly.

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
          Did the previous owner of the Freewing F-15 90mm EDF jet provide the stock Freewing external BEC that comes attached/soldered to the main power leads of the stock Freewing 130A ESC, and is the F-15 ESC in fact the 130A Freewing unit? Is that external BEC power lead also also plugged into your receiver (because that external BEC is what will reduce the flight pack voltage of your 6S LiPo down to about 5V to run the electronics appropriately)? Also, I’m assuming your also using the stock light controller that comes with the F-15 as well, correct?

The reason I bring up the external BEC topic is because if you are using your E-Flite ESC, then that may have an internal BEC (check to see if it notes that on the ESC label) and the BEC is powering the electronics through the ESC’s throttle servo lead. You didn’t mention if checked your other electronics for working order when using the E-Flite ESC, such as servos, etc.). Now, the Freewing ESC does not have an internal BEC, and instead uses an external BEC (which must then be plugged into the receiver to power the electronics, which would include power the lights although you’ll need to make sure to use the stock lighting controller as well).
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tzupo90 View Post
            Click image for larger version Name:	C93FFB26-7459-4FC0-B6BE-2E84CE1F0C00.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	300994

This is what I have. As I’ve said, I’m new to this and don’t know exactly what I’m looking at. It’s obviously an FMS 90mm motor, I’m not sure of anything else. I do have the stock lighting controller in the plane though and has 8A UBEC but the plug isn’t plugged into anything at this time since I only have a 6 channel receiver

however, when I tested it with the eflite motor/esc all servos and flight functions worked accordingly.

Chances are, what I described previously is the issue you’re experiencing ​. I see a Freewing 130A ESC (which should be an “Opto”, the word used to often refer to an ESC that does not have an internal BEC) in the picture you posted, which to my knowledge has only come configured as an “Opto” ESC from Freewing on their line-up of most 90mm EDF jets. Since you said you do see a 8A external BEC (often referred to as a UBEC) and you didn’t have it plugged in, this is why your lights and other electronics (servos, retracts, etc.) are not working. Does the UBEC say “Freewing” on it? That’s just so we can see if it’s the stock Freewing 8A UBEC. That UBEC servo lead needs to be plugged into the receiver to get power to the electronics.

If you do not have any open receiver channels left, a Y-Harness servo extension may be able to be used on one of the receiver channels (and chosen wisely) already in use to share that channel with the UBEC (although, check with your receiver brand and instructions for precautions, specs., etc., for anything to watch out for). I prefer the UBEC to be on its own channel or an alternative appropriate slot in the receiver for such use (for example, my receiver brand provides a non-channel numbered designated slot named “Batt” for such uses).

Your E-Flite ESC probably powered up the system because it had an internal BEC, so the electronics were receiving appropriate power.

Comment

Oh! You’re a life saver! I thought I was going to need to rip it apart to figure more out! Thank you so much, I just ordered an 8 channel receiver. I was going to go with one from the beginning but I was just trying to test everything with my 6 channel. Thank you again!!

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Chances are, what I described previously is the issue you’re experiencing ​. I see a Freewing 130A ESC (which should be an “Opto”, the word used to often refer to an ESC that does not have an internal BEC) in the picture you posted, which to my knowledge has only come configured as an “Opto” ESC from Freewing on their line-up of most 90mm EDF jets. Since you said you do see a 8A external BEC (often referred to as a UBEC) and you didn’t have it plugged in, this is why your lights and other electronics (servos, retracts, etc.) are not working. Does the UBEC say “Freewing” on it? That’s just so we can see if it’s the stock Freewing 8A UBEC. That UBEC servo lead needs to be plugged into the receiver to get power to the electronics.

If you do not have any open receiver channels left, a Y-Harness servo extension may be able to be used on one of the receiver channels (and chosen wisely) already in use to share that channel with the UBEC (although, check with your receiver brand and instructions for precautions, specs., etc., for anything to watch out for). I prefer the UBEC to be on its own channel or an alternative appropriate slot in the receiver for such use (for example, my receiver brand provides a non-channel numbered designated slot named “Batt” for such uses).

Your E-Flite ESC probably powered up the system because it had an internal BEC, so the electronics were receiving appropriate power.

Comment

No problem! I’m happy to help and it’s good that it sounds like the electronics are working by testing with a Y-harness.

I’m glad you went with a 8-channel receiver for the jet as that will allow a more appropriate number of channels, provide flexibility for more aircraft in the future, and opens up various programming options that utilize more channels.

Comment

Working...
                X