Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control surfaces work but motor doesn't

Tried searching bit no luck.

I'm the guy who had zero experience and bought a habu sts 70mm. Took it out and it surprisingly flew awesome and I landed successfully. Then the next day, 2nd flight, I got cocky as I had an audience...and hit a tree. STS got mangled...

For the price of replacement parts, I was close to price of the pnp version, so I bought it.

I swapped the reciever over from the crashed STS, binded it, all is well.

All control surfaces work and respond...but the motor does not. Verified throttle lock isn't on.

Can anyone help me with this? The manual has no troubletroubleshooting for this specific concern. I'm clueless...

Throttle calibration?

Comment

I tried turning on transmitter, setting throttle at full, then connecting battery on plane, set throttle back to zero. Didn't do anything to correct condition.

I also binded the transmitter back to my laptop for my real flight simulator just to verify transmitter is good and it is.

Another calibration I read is to do above sequence but with throttle trim set to full negative, no change in condition.

I feel like this is just some saftey mechanism I'm unaware of as even after the crash, I was actually able to throttle up and the thrust was enough to dislodge it from the oak tree limbs before its corspe fell to the ground. This eliminates the possibility of the crash damaging the reciever.

I even disassedisassembled the fuselage to verify the motor was plugged up to esc, it is.

Frustrating to say the least.

Tried to call spectrum, but tech support was closed.

I just wanna fly...sucks...

Comment

And just to be sure, did you pull the bind plug after the rebinding?

Comment

Radio is a spectrum DXS and the receiver is the AS320B by the way. Both came with my 1st purchase, the habu sts rtf version

Comment

Verify that you have the throttle cable plugged into the rx correctly, channel and in the right direction.

Comment

Dosen't use a bind plug (even though there is a bind port). To bind you power up, push bind button on reciever, then while depressing bind button on transmitter you power on transmitter. Easy peasy

Comment

It's in the correct channel, port #1. And it's in the correct orientation. I was concerned about orientation as well as the connections are not keyed

Comment

Right. So is the esc just beeping at you? Try toggling your safe/as3x switch.

Comment

Esc is silent. Plane does it self checks, rudder wags several times (I guess to let u know all is well) then should be ready to fly...but not action from motor. I've tried all functions on radio including the safe as3x switch.

I thought maybe the throttle deactivation switch failed,, but it works on simulator as all other functions do

Comment

Yeah, I have spektrum transmitter but I'm not completely familiar with the dxs. I'm looking it up. There's a chance that the throttle cut is assigned to a different switch than what works with the simulator, I think. What is your throttle trim set at now? Have you tried swapping the esc leads? Usually doing that will just change direction of the fan or prop, so I'm not convinced it's that... I'm looking up the transmitter and the Habu now.

Comment

So whe you use the simulator does it show you where your trim settings are? How do you know you were at negative trim settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Tacticaljeep View Post
                          Esc is silent.
                          First of all, the ESC does not make any noise. It's the motor that beeps. However, you say there is no noise at all. Is this correct? Is doesn't even beep the number of cells in the battery? If so, have you checked that all 3 wires from the motor to the ESC are solidly connected?

Comment

Throttle cut is same on simulator. I used it to do preflight checks on original STS. The DXS beeps when you set trims, and has a distinct tone for neutral, then goes silent at each end of adjustment to tell you you've hit the max

Appreciate your diligence on helping me resolve this btw

Comment

Yes, all leads are connected solid. It does beep when powered on indicating number of cells.

My apologies. I thought Sanexup was referencing a persistent error type beep that was repetitive

Comment

Maybe these pics can assist?

Comment

No problem, it is the weekend and I know what it's like to want to fly! I am at a loss though. Other than do you think you damaged the esc? You are able to move all of your control surfaces? Not just your rudder.

Comment

Yeah, I can control all surfaces.

I thought maybe Sudden impact from 75ish mph to zero would possilby damage as well,, but I literally dislodged it from branches with pure thrust.

After it fell to the ground nose first and turned the nose into something resembling a curly fry,, the motor still hD serious trust.

I was so shook and embarrassed, I brushed my leg with transmitter while carring it back in my walk of shame and it almost flew outta my hand.

Comment

It's possible the esc and motor is defective in this fresh outta the box model. I might swap the motor and esc from the crashed one tomorrow and see what's what.

Thank yall again and I'll definitely report back. It's almost midnight here in NC, and working tomorrow, so I'm gonna call it.

Was hoping on a sunrise flight tomorrow morning, but hey...disappointments come and go!

Comment

Ha! Most of us have a few embarrassing stories with rc planes. And rc planes and trees. I must admit that it's embarrassing to be a grown man climbing a tall pine tree to retrieve a plane as my neighbors watched me.

I apologize, it's hard to come up with a solution for you. Other than maybe try rebinding again, then once its re bound, power down everything. Turn on the transmitter, throttle to max to calibrate the esc again but make sure your throttle trim is zeroed out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X