X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
    Excellent Gary!! I think you'll love it. It's a great flyer, predictable, and lands with absolute ease. I like half flaps best with low wind, and no flaps used with higher than 10mph winds. The 6S inrunner (and used a Phoenix 125A ESC/Castle 10A BEC) made quite a bit of difference in performance and was worth the upgrade. 8S is not worth it whatsoever in my opinion. Use a CG of 190-200mm (mine is at 195mm. I don't particularly like the CG in the manual, as it needs excessive up elevator neutral position and doesn't land as easily. My elevators are exactly lined up with the fuselage line. My throws are the manuals suggested throws, but I fly them on high aileron and high elevator the whole time regardless of flight condition, and it's not sensitive, yet still allows you to throw around the plane a bit. I stuck with a 4000mah 45C 6S (Glacier) since they are a bit on the heavy side. I relocated the ESC from the stock location to be still in the cockpit but in a longitudinal way instead of lateral, and then I closed up the large gap where the ESC was with strapping tape from the inside if the intake, and then layered another piece of tape on top of that from inside the canopy. That smoothed some airflow and allowed me to move my battery back all the way to the foam block, instead having sit on top of the ESC (which would have had to be done just to achieve the 195mm CG) just to achieve proper CG.
    Thanks for the tips,T.
    Sounds like it's a floater, if i'm understanding you. (hence half flaps max and no flaps in a 10mph wind) Sounds like it flies like a stock Habu 2 (foamie) with the flap modification. It was so floaty that any flaps were just too much in the wind. I'm not the best pilot but I don't want the jet to be tossed around by the wind. I was planning a nice light flyer with good flight time. But I'm also tempted to go with a low amp 8s setup. I'll have a better idea when it gets here.
    Those are great shots of your at the basin. I think I know the guy that shot them. Dang, if I can't remember his name.He's gotten some good shots for me a couple times. Black guy right? Great photographer with awesome equipment.

Comment

Any time :). Yeah, the jet doesn't land quite as well with full flaps (just my opinion), but still lands okay. I find half or no flaps is the way to go depending on the wind. It slows down nicely and floats right in. I let it go slow enough for a little nose high attitude and use a touch of throttle all the way until flare and touchdown. This jet lands as soft as butter, and relatively easy at that. I think you'll love the jet if set up right. One thing to watch out for is the retracts. They will get beat up sooner or later with a higher load on them which some of the heavier power-systems/batteries tend to have. As you already know, If you went with an 8S setup and the amp draw was real low, you can find some batteries that would be small enough and light enough to provide similar AUW to the stock setup. I'd say to achieve CG of the average mark of 195mm, the total battery weight would likely have to be under 700g. You may want to fly the stock outrunner or the Freewing inrunner just in case you may like it the way it comes out of the box. The nice thing about 6S too is at least you'll have only one battery used each flight, and can get more flights in than the dual battery HV type usage. Did you buy the kit or the PNP?

That may be him. I believe his name was Ken. Great guy and photographer (and photography equipment). It was so incredible to have him just offer to take pictures and send them to me. Very very cool stuff.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n38235[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n38236[/ATTACH] I've got other projects that take quite a while, so I bought the PNP. I'll probably fly it stock for a while. My Stinger was pretty good out of the box. I do love the 8s setup i put in the FW, F-16 though. I have a new Revo 6s, 60c, 4400. (4.20 V/cell - not HV) that I can use in the F-86, and an older 6s, 4000.

Yeah !! That's him. Ken S. Here's a few got for me. Man, that Hobby top gun L-39 was a long time ago. Also the efflux RC/Air Sally F-20, and most recent was the Scorpion.

Thanks again for the set up tips.

Comment

Excellent pictures!! Isn't it crazy how fast time goes by when looking back at pictures of older jets??

I'd definitely say leave this F86 as 6S Max. It hits a major speed wall, and the retracts will only live with a lightweight 6S set-up. I've had one friend go the 8S route on the F86 and didn't think it was even remotely worth it. It was more hassle, weight, and a pain than it was worth. I can honestly say that the inrunner 6S setup was worth it though, as it provided much better thrust, very little extra weight, and still manageable flight time. It was somewhat of a happy medium, which is nice.

The larger 90mm jets do well with 8S just as you experienced with the F16. That thing performs incredible with the setup you used. Yeehaw!

Comment

Anyone see this?

Comment

found out that freewing quit making the 1820kv in runner .. that's the upgrade motor for a6 and f86 anybody know a better powerfull replacement fan?

anyone ever try the fms 2000kv inrunner fan? says it puts out 6.25 lbs thrust

Comment

I haven’t tried the FMS inrunner power system in this particular airframe, but it does tend to produce some added performance in comparison to the stock outrunner unit that comes with the PNP jet. The FMS unit would require an ESC upgrade to be on the safe side for a little headroom on the current draw, as well as use some good throttle management to help the batteries (be sure to use good and healthy LiPo’s as well) since the power system is a bit more aggressive than the stock outrunner. The airframe is difficult to achieve proper CG with some 6S batteries larger than 4000mah, but depends upon the weight of the LiPo’s. For the upgraded system, some 4000mah batteries can still provide adequate power for it, while others could be lacking, as well as the flight times if good throttle management isn’t used.

Comment

Working...
                X