X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Gripen vs Mirage vs Eflite F16

Hey guys! I would like to order a new EDF Jet. I really like the Looks of the Freewing Gripen, the Freewing Mirage and the Eflite F16 70mm. I have got Some questions.
    Which one is the fastest?
    Which can high Alpha the best?
    Which one do you like the Most? Maybe there is someone who ownes one of them.

Thanks a lot!
    greetings from Germany
    Philipp

Fastest is the Mirage. Best high alpha Mirage. Like most Gripen.

I’ve had three Mirages from the very first version with the low power outrunner, one with the higher power 1850 outrunner and one with a 8s Jet fan set up. I have three Gripens, one a repainted 8s with TV, one box stock no TV, and one still in the box in case. I built my F-16 with a light weight 8s set up. I did not like it and put it up for sale after very few flights, though.I did continue to fly it until it sold. To be honest that it is a HH marketed product and price and availability of parts played into my dissatisfaction.

The Gripen is my favorite by far and I fly the stock one more than the 8s with TV.

Comment

Thanks a lot. How does the Gripen fly high alpha? And is it worth to get the TV in the Stock setup?

Comment

​​It flies very good high alpha but the power to weight ratio is better on the Mirage so I like it better.

Adding the TV to the Gripen changes it's personality, it's like a a different but similar plane. It also reduces the thrust out about 10%. As I said I fly the non TV stock Gripen the most an consider the Gripen (in all forms) my favorite airplane.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_81363.jpg Views:	5 Size:	176.1 KB ID:	348532Click image for larger version  Name:	image_81364.jpg Views:	5 Size:	221.3 KB ID:	348533 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	348541

Comment

Wow that Colour scheme Looks amazing!
          Thanks for your help

Comment

Thanks, good luck on your decision.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1342 (2).jpg
Views:	367
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	348544

Comment

I am probably going to get myself the Gripen

Comment

On sale for $50 off at Motion...

Comment

My $0.02

The Mirage is the fastest by far.

The Gripen is cool, a lot of fun to fly (especially with the VT and an upgraded fan).

The EFlite F-16 flies nicely but you will alway be worrying about parts availability given EFlite's miserable record of orphaning its models.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5Z1A9966.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	348549Click image for larger version  Name:	5Z1A9975.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	348550 i

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    On sale for $50 off at Motion...
                    Would be a no brainer but unfortunately there is no sale on the gripen in the EU warehouse…

Comment

​​It flies very good high alpha but the power to weight ratio is better on the Mirage so I like it better.

Adding the TV to the Gripen changes it's personality, it's like a a different but similar plane. It also reduces the thrust out about 10%. As I said I fly the non TV stock Gripen the most an consider the Gripen (in all forms) my favorite airplane.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_81363.jpg Views:	5 Size:	176.1 KB ID:	348532Click image for larger version Name:	image_81364.jpg Views:	5 Size:	221.3 KB ID:	348533 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	348541
                      Is it way faster without the TV? Because I would love to do some loops and stuff like that with the TV. The speed would probably be the only reason I wouldnt get myself the TV version

Comment

Good question... I notice it more on the vertical. I don't think I noticed much in speed... Both, with and w/o the TV, are very agile.

Might be a question for the customer service people for the EU house, can't hurt to ask. About a discount.

Comment

Good question... I notice it more on the vertical. I don't think I noticed much in speed... Both, with and w/o the TV, are very agile.

Might be a question for the customer service people for the EU house, can't hurt to ask. About a discount.
                          I asked the customer service, maybe they can do something there. So I dont need the TV for good High alpha ?

Comment

Originally posted by Philipp_TSG View Post

I asked the customer service, maybe they can do something there. So I dont need the TV for good High alpha ?
                            You need a Sukhoi-35 for good high alpha. The FMS Rafale is pretty good too, better than the Gripen IMO.

The TV doesn't really help for high alpha but it does help for cobras, Kulbits, flat spins etc.

Comment

What John said... High alpha is not full throttle, it's the right throttle and pitch mixed together. The Gripen does it fine but there are better planes for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Philipp_TSG View Post
                                Because I would love to do some loops and stuff like that with the TV.
                                You don't need TV to do loops. Most any plane can do those. What you can do with TV are nifty backflips and somersaults.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  You don't need TV to do loops. Most any plane can do those. What you can do with TV are nifty backflips and somersaults.
                                  Yes of course Every Plane can do loops. My english is Not that good and I didnt know How to say it in english. I meant These fast backflips

Comment

I'll jump in just to push you toward the Gripen! IMHO nothing flies quite like mine, bat turns, silly slow high alpha, it will not stall, rolls like a drill bit and can fly in close and tight or go pretty fast too. But there's a catch... Initially I flew it stock fan, 6s 5000, lead in the tail for balance, and an expensive Powerbox gyro. I did not like it. For a lot of reasons. Too heavy, not enough power to weight, gyro and servos did not play well together. So I made a few changes. 4000 mAh batteries, removed the tail weight, installed an XFLY 80mm 12 blade 2200 Kv fan (Amazon $80) and put in a $22 Eagle A3-L gyro. Now I LOVE it! I fly it all the time, I was flying it in strong winds yesterday and could sit over a spot on the runway at high alpha, then WFO and away it goes. Landing roll was like 50'. No sink ever with that fan.
                                    So if you go Gripen go light. You will be amazed.
                                    BTW, a friend of mine got the 80mm E-Flight F-16 last week. I flew it first, we moved the CG back and adjusted the rates and flew it again, nice model, absolutely beautiful for a foamy. Then he flew it, first landing in a stiff crosswind was not kind, it got off the side of the paved runway and hit an obstacle (the taxiway curb, maybe an inch high) it ripped the gear off the nose, breaking the plastic mounting and did a lot of damage under the nose to the fuse. He's looking at $240 for parts, not including the nose cone, and they are not in stock. MRC does a good job of keeping parts in stock at a reasonable price for many years. EFlight?

Comment

Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
                                      I'll jump in just to push you toward the Gripen! IMHO nothing flies quite like mine, bat turns, silly slow high alpha, it will not stall, rolls like a drill bit and can fly in close and tight or go pretty fast too. But there's a catch... Initially I flew it stock fan, 6s 5000, lead in the tail for balance, and an expensive Powerbox gyro. I did not like it. For a lot of reasons. Too heavy, not enough power to weight, gyro and servos did not play well together. So I made a few changes. 4000 mAh batteries, removed the tail weight, installed an XFLY 80mm 12 blade 2200 Kv fan (Amazon $80) and put in a $22 Eagle A3-L gyro. Now I LOVE it! I fly it all the time, I was flying it in strong winds yesterday and could sit over a spot on the runway at high alpha, then WFO and away it goes. Landing roll was like 50'. No sink ever with that fan.
                                      So if you go Gripen go light. You will be amazed.
                                      BTW, a friend of mine got the 80mm E-Flight F-16 last week. I flew it first, we moved the CG back and adjusted the rates and flew it again, nice model, absolutely beautiful for a foamy. Then he flew it, first landing in a stiff crosswind was not kind, it got off the side of the paved runway and hit an obstacle (the taxiway curb, maybe an inch high) it ripped the gear off the nose, breaking the plastic mounting and did a lot of damage under the nose to the fuse. He's looking at $240 for parts, not including the nose cone, and they are not in stock. MRC does a good job of keeping parts in stock at a reasonable price for many years. EFlight?
                                      Well its a tough decision. I dont really want to get any other EDF in it than the stock one. I heart that the Gripen is very underpowered with the TV. Is the power enough to have some fun flying fast low passes and high alpha? Or is that only possible with the 8s setup?

Comment

I wouldn't call it under powered. People expect 1:1and the Gripen is a big, 90 sized bird. It'll still fly awesome, just don't expect to hover it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X