Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 64mm F9F Panther Blue EDF Jet PNP Thread

64mm Freewing F9F Panther Blue EDF Jet - Receiver Ready (PNP) - FJ10321P

Version Info: This is the updated F9F Panther which includes a new livery.

Are you looking for your first EDF jet or are you a more advanced pilot looking for a new EDF? Look no further. While great for people new to EDF jets, The Freewing F9F Panther is fast and agile enough for experienced pilots too. The Freewing F9F is one of our favorite jets. While this F9F Panther EDF is not for beginner flyers, it is perfect for the intermediate flyer looking for their first EDF jet. There is not an easier EDF jet to fly.

Unlike many EDF jets, the Freewing F9F actually floats for an extended period of time without throttle (assuming a correct CG). The F9F is powerful enough to loop and has a fantastic roll rate. We recommend hand launching and belly landing in the grass for pilots new to EDF jets. The F9F is built from durable EPO foam and uses nylon hinges. While a 1600 mAh LiPo is recommended, a 2200 mAh battery can be used by more experienced pilots with minor modification to the battery compartment. We highly recommend a high wing trainer for beginners and proficiency with at least one low wing plane before attempting to fly an EDF jet.

Note: Please sand the paint off on the fuselage and wing surface prior to gluing together.

Features:
    • NEW! Updated blue livery
    • Model officially licensed by Northrop Grumman
    • Durable EPO foam construction
    • Nylon hinges on all control surfaces (superior to a foam hinge)
    • Brushless motor, 5-Blade EDF, ESC and servos installed
    Includes:
    • Freewing F9F Panther Blue 64mm EDF Jet - PNP
    • Servos, electronics pre-installed
    Requires:
    • 4 Channel radio - select a minimum 4 channel radio from our Radio Collection
    • 4 Channel receiver - select a minimum 4 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
    • 3 Cell 11.1V 1600 mAh Lipo Battery with XT60 connector - EPR16003X6
    • 3 Cell compatible battery charger - select a minimum 3 cell (3S) charger from our Charger Collection
    Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL :14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL :Intermediate
    BUILD TIME :1 Hour
    Wingspan 700mm / 27.6in
    Length 745mm / 29.3in
    Flying Weight 550g
    Power System Brushless 2627-4500Kv Outrunner Motor
    Speed Control 30A, Internal BEC, XT60 connector
    Propeller / EDF 64mm 5-Blade EDF
    Servos
    • 9g plastic standard with 100mm lead : elevator - MD31091-100
    • 9g plastic standard with 300mm lead : left aileron, right aileron - MD31091-300
    Landing Gear None - belly lander (optional gear is available)
    Required Battery 3S 11.1V 1600mAh 25C 3 cell LiPo
    Required Radio 3 Channel
    Rudder No
    Flaps No
    Ailerons Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Nylon hinges on all control surfaces
    Material EPO Foam
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 1 Hour
    Recommended Environment Outdoor
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Why didn’t you upgrade this to 4s? Love the plane but it really shines using a 4s setup.

Comment

Will the stock motor take 4S if you change the ESC? Otherwise you have to change the fan (maybe a 11 blade unit) and the ESC.
      Any suggestions ?

Comment

Originally posted by Louierc View Post
        Will the stock motor take 4S if you change the ESC? Otherwise you have to change the fan (maybe a 11 blade unit) and the ESC.
        Any suggestions ?
        I changed the whole system, esc, fan, and motor. It was easiest solution to just drop in the eflite system from their 64mm F15 which really made the Panther awesome

Comment

I love this airframe! We've had as many as 8 flying together.
          Freewing F8F Panthers in Formation
          Caption

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther_3174c.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	365411
            Launching

Comment

Name:	Panther_3012V.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	365413
              More Formation Flying . . . Freewing F8F 64mm EDF Panthers on 3S-2200 cells

Comment

I have a bad shoulder due to rotator cuff surgery, so I needed a way to fly my Panther. If the Germans can get their rocket plane off of a dolly, why can't we get our ducted fan off a similar dolly?
                I have used this concept to take a sea plane off of a wagon made of pvc and the process worked fine. Here are a couple of pictures of the dolly and plane sitting on top.
                FMS P-51B 1400 mm
                Durafly T-28
                1875 mm B-17 (lost in midair with FW-190 at Bomber Field)
                Flyzone DE Havilland Beaver
                Durafly 1200 mm F4U Corsair

Comment

Originally posted by Louierc View Post
                  Any suggestions ?
                  I have flown mine many times on a 4s battery with the stock motor and ESC. I never ran max throttle more than 4-5 seconds at a time, - during hand launch and a few high speed passes. I never had an issue with more than 20 flights on it. (crashed it after that due to lost orientation)

When I got the next one, I did change the ESC to a 40amp one, but left the fan and motor stock. - No issues with that one either. I have lots of videos of those flights on YouTube.
                  Plane Fun - YouTube

Comment

I didn't see this thread but here is my setup. And I'm very happy with it: I just got the panther set up with my 4s system, got a 4 minute flight landed with 3.75vpc, 0 trim needed across the board with the cg spotted at the mid point of the aileron servo lead holes . It was perfect, and oh man, tons of fun. My setup was a 1800mah (claimed 75c) 4s pack up against the forward hatch point, mantis 65A (there is no kill like overkill) speed control shoved to the nose, the freewing 12 blade 4s power unit, had to shave some off the hatch for the strap to fit over the pack and under the canopy.

Comment

Name:	signal-2023-01-31-14-16-32-048.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	369337

Comment

I fly mine on 4s 2200s, I have two, one with a stock fan with 60 Amp esc and th other with an xfly 4s setup and a 60 Amp esc. I cut out a slot in the wood battery deck and slide the battery sideways unto the slot. The esc is under the deck, not.quite in the nose. I do use landing gear though and so that might make up a difference in esc location for CG. They both fly great, so fun!

Every time I fly them I keep thinking, damn this is one I really wish were a 90mm!

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                          I fly mine on 4s 2200s, I have two, one with a stock fan with 60 Amp esc and th other with an xfly 4s setup and a 60 Amp esc. I cut out a slot in the wood battery deck and slide the battery sideways unto the slot. The esc is under the deck, not.quite in the nose. I do use landing gear though and so that might make up a difference in esc location for CG. They both fly great, so fun!

Every time I fly them I keep thinking, damn this is one I really wish were a 90mm!
                          Yes sir! Totally agree on all counts. And definitely for that 90mm!

Comment

Here's how my 4s flys, so nice and easy

Comment

Greetings! I am a life-long modeler and armchair engineer. Retired TV Producer/Director/Camera. The bit of "Hollywood" in me dictates that whatever I do needs to "appear" to be proportional and natural to my eye or within a scene or frame. My "eye" has served me well in video, print, model railroading (see photo), rockets, interior decorating, etc.

So, I am interested in RC flying at a slower pace to mimic the feel, as if I was observing the real jet. To that end, of all the affordable Freewing jets, it appears to me that this F9F would be the easiest and safest to modify in the following way: Add one servo to convert to tailerons, and use the ailerons as flaps. Thinking I could Y the rudder (?) channel and use the trim to lower the flaps for takeoff and landing. The F8 is an option, but it appears I would have to slice and dice to add servos to convert to flaps. I am very impressed with these smaller planes, including the smaller Inve$tment to crash ratio.

I very much appreciate your brief thoughts on my proposed mods, and your kindness!!

Patrick

Comment

It would be easy to add the elevator servo for taileron. I suggest plugging the ailerons into aileron and flap and turn on flaperons. so easy.

Welcome to the forums.

Comment

Why did you refer to this thread from the new version 2 of the Freewing 4S Blue Panther page on Motion RC?
                                  It's obviously just the old 3S version page.

I started a new dedicated page on RCGroups.com for the Version 2, for anyone interested.
                                  Can't wait to get mine any day now from MotionRC.

Still my flying my 3S version with landing gear and bought it from the old Hobby Lobby store many years ago.

Comment

Because the squawk is the official site for Motion RC and RCG isn't.

Comment

No duh...I just meant why did they just tag on to old thread instead of making a new one on Hobby Squawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighterpilot View Post
                                        I have a bad shoulder due to rotator cuff surgery, so I needed a way to fly my Panther. If the Germans can get their rocket plane off of a dolly, why can't we get our ducted fan off a similar dolly?
                                        I have used this concept to take a sea plane off of a wagon made of pvc and the process worked fine. Here are a couple of pictures of the dolly and plane sitting on top.
                                        So, do you just place the plane on the wood dolly, full throttle and elevator to get the plane to take off ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X