X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing/Hobbywing Skywalker V2 reversing ESC - programming

The new FW reversing ESC (which appears to be the same as the Hobbywing Skywalker V2) is in several new and updated EDFs from Freewing.

If trying to program it with the programming card, the current one listed on MRC's site doesn't work. No new programming card is listed yet.

If programming the ESC using the transmitter method and using a Spektrum transmitter, be aware that the default Spektrum pulse length at full throttle (1.9ms) may not be long enough to trigger entry to programming mode. On a Hobbywing I couldn't even enter programming mode when increasing the Spektrum's throttle channel "travel" to its maximum. I had to use a servo tester with pulse length 2.2ms before I could get the ESC into programming mode.

If anyone knows of a programming card that works with the new ESCs, perhaps they would let us know.

I just heard from another modeler using a Spektrum system that he too couldn't get the new Hobbywing V2 ESC into programming mode, He eventually did it using a Frsky system.

Comment

Update: I contacted Hobbywing and the response was that the correct card for the Skywalker V2 (and presumably the Freewing reversible) is:

Although the Skywalker is not listed on that product page.

Comment

First time squawker here bringing a problem with a HW Skywalker and an Admiral Stab+ rx. Programmed the Skywalker for reversing using the program card recommended in this thread. Plan to use aux2 for the reversing lead but used that port to bind, ergo no reversing lead when binding. Bind went normally followed by plugging reversing lead into aux2. Everything worked fine…esc armed, full stab function, reverse works, flaps work, control surfaces normal…Great!…
        However, after de-powering and re-powering the model, the esc will not arm.
        Powering up with either stab dip-switched off or reverse unplugged allows the esc to arm, but if both are enabled, esc will not arm…help!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnutz View Post
          First time squawker here bringing a problem with a HW Skywalker and an Admiral Stab+ rx. Programmed the Skywalker for reversing using the program card recommended in this thread. Plan to use aux2 for the reversing lead but used that port to bind, ergo no reversing lead when binding. Bind went normally followed by plugging reversing lead into aux2. Everything worked fine…esc armed, full stab function, reverse works, flaps work, control surfaces normal…Great!…
          However, after de-powering and re-powering the model, the esc will not arm.
          Powering up with either stab dip-switched off or reverse unplugged allows the esc to arm, but if both are enabled, esc will not arm…help!
          Seems like a Lemon problem, not an ESC problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Seems like a Lemon problem, not an ESC problem.
            Thanks…Solved…simply switched the reversing lead to aux1 so it stayed plugged in for bind.

Comment

Hi all,
              I purchased a skywalker V2 100A ESC for my Freewing T-33 but am unable to reverse to work.
              I am using a Spektrum NX10 Tx and AR8360T receiver.
              I have the programming card so changes are not an issue.
              When I program the breaking to reverse it will not initialize, the motor, no matter what sw I assign it too.
              I have the same setup in another EDF and have everything setup exactly the same, however this one does not work.
              Any help would be appriceated.

Comment

My Freewing T-33 was delivered yesterday. I was surprised to see that the ESC has a connection labeled Reverse Brake. How do I program it to work? Does the programming card listed in response #3 above work? Where do I connect the reverse brake lead? And how do I set up the transmitter? This will be the first time that I will need to program an ESC. Most of my planes are gas or glow.
                I have a Spektrum iX12 transmitter and a AR8360T receiver.

Comment

No programming of the ESC, plug the lead in a slot and assign a switch to that slot with -100/+100.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I thought I read that the ESC default setting is thrust reverse off. If I don't have to program the ESC that would be great.

Comment

Maybe if you buy it alone but all have come with the reverse enabled for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rjhuyck View Post
                        Thanks for the help. I thought I read that the ESC default setting is thrust reverse off. If I don't have to program the ESC that would be great.
                        For future reference, the Freewing labelled reversing ESC is the same hardware as the Hobbywing Skywalker v2, and uses the same programming box. However, the Hobbywing comes with reversing disabled, and Freewing comes with it enabled. The default timing and LVC may be different too.

Comment

Wingnutz
                          Canada, ON, Kawartha Lakes
                          Joined May 2009
                          517 Posts
                          Will submerging a Skywalker v2 in Corrosion-X stop the reverse function? Corrosion-X was drained from ESC before testing reverse function. This is the fifth Skywalker v2 I’ve programmed for reverse but the first one I’ve tried to waterproof with Corrosion-X…and the first one that doesn’t reverse. ESC runs the motor but I can’t get it to reverse. Help!

Comment

Shouldn’t. Is it programmed for reverse? I have gotten different programming settings in ESCs before.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                              Shouldn’t. Is it programmed for reverse? I have gotten different programming settings in ESCs before.
                              Programmed to the same settings as the last five I did…according to Part 6 of the instructions with the ESC.

Comment

I seem to have solved my no-reverse problem.
                                I simply changed the order of unplugging leads after programming to unplug the battery first, then the programming card and re-bind. Worked on four successive Skywalker V2’s, none of which would reverse on several previous attempts.
                                Anybody explain what’s going on here?

Comment

I would like to have the reverse only be active when the gear is down. I have a Spektrum iX12 transmitter. How do I set this up?

Comment

Make the gear switch the switch that activates the channel your gear are on. You may even be able to Y it to the gear slot (5).

If you mean to have a safety where you can't activate reverse unless your gear are down you'll have to do a mix from the gear channel to the channel you have reverse on.

Comment

I would like to have the reverse switch not active unless the gear are down. When the plane is flying and the gear is up, if I accidentally move the reverse switch, nothing will happen.
                                      Gear up - reverse switch inactive;
                                      Gear down - reverse switch active.
                                      How do I program a mix to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by rjhuyck View Post
                                        I would like to have the reverse switch not active unless the gear are down. When the plane is flying and the gear is up, if I accidentally move the reverse switch, nothing will happen.
                                        Gear up - reverse switch inactive;
                                        Gear down - reverse switch active.
                                        How do I program a mix to do that?
                                        If you aren't using Flight Modes for something else already, I'd use flight modes rather than a mix.

Also you might consider the push button switch for reverse, which you are unlikely to push by accident.

If you must do it with a mix, on the iX12 I think you'll need two mixes, each with the gear switch as the controlling switch. One will mix the reverse switch to the reverse channel when the gear switch is in the "down" position. The other will mix "ON" to the reverse channel when the gear is up. The rates will be plus or minus 100%, depending on what your ESC wants to see for reverse, and what switch positions you use for gear up and gear down, so you would need to experiment with them.

To use flight modes, go to flight mode setup, select the gear switch and reverse swtich as the two switches, and fill in the flight mode table with FM1 in all positions of the switches EXCEPT when the gear is down and reverse is selected, where you put a "FM2".

You can then use Digital Switch Setup, select Flight Mode, and set FM1 to -100% and FM2 to +100% (or vice versa, depending on your ESC)

Next go to Channel Assign, and assign Flight Mode to your reversing channel.

Go to the monitor screen to check that everything is working correctly BEFORE going live in the model, and remove the prop before testing.

Done,

Comment

Working...
                                        X