X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS 64mm F-15 Eagle Rudders

I wanted an Eagle to fly, because I was a part of the F-15 team at McDonnell Douglas from when it was a 'paper' airplane, for more than 40 years. For transport reason, the 90mm model is just too large for me, so I ordered the FMS 64mm version. I also knew I would have to add rudders, because my runway almost always has cross winds, and take-offs in a cross wind with a jet can land you in the grass before it is fully airborn. I ordered extra uprights to experiment with, and a pair ofE-flite 3.5g Digital Long Lead Servos from MRC. I documented the process with photos, if anyone is interested.
    This is what the finished installation looks like, ready for maiden:

Hi WintrSol

Great job on the upgraded rudders on that jet very cool. I would keep an eye on those servos though they are a bit small 3.5 g. But for what your trying it should be OK. Happy Flying

Comment

Yes, they are small, but I figured I wouldn't be commanding a lot of yaw, just enough to control direction on take-off and landing, and there are two small rudders, much smaller than the ailerons or elevators. Plus, this model isn't all that fast.

Comment

This pic shows one rudder installed for testing, not glued in yet, and the other ready to cut, with the type of hinge used:

Comment

Looks nice can you send me your documentation?

Thanks Nick

Comment

the photo sequence is here: http://s897.photobucket.com/user/Win...?sort=2&page=1
            The tools I used were the saw, hobby knife, and a small drill in a pin vise. I drew the cut lines on the rudders to get a 45 degree angle on the hinge line, and the straight pin to locate the hole on the underside of the upright and horizontal stabs, and used an angle gauge to set the line through the tail structure. A small rivet to protect the foam from the forces on the control rod, bend, and glue on the threaded fitting to hold ball end. If you need more, just say so, and I can comment on any photo that doesn't show the process well enough.

Comment

A follow up - crashed on maiden. I did a couple high-speed taxi tests, first for general handling, second to check that the re-trim of the rudders to match the nose wheel was good. All looked good, so put in a freshly charged battery, and started the take-off run, reached rotation speed, and, about 3 feet above the runway, it started to waggle uncontrollably. Examining the wreckage, I noticed the brass threaded tube on the end of one rudder control rod had come off. I used JB Weld to attach it, but, from the damage, it appeared that I just didn't get enough of it down that tiny tube, and the joint failed. Best explanation I can come up with for the waggle was, it failed at rotation, and the rudder started flagging.

Comment

Working...
              X