Click image for larger version

Name:	20170920_005238978_iOS.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	98273
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Nice TI! If you have any questions let me know. Great jet.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Very nice TI, you'll find it flies very well, not a speed machine but a 110mm jet fan will sort that! Enjoy it. :Cool:

Comment

Not impressed...out of the box brake controller has a cold solder joint (works if you squeeze it) and the dreaded "No Signal" dead ESC issue. I got it second hand, the guy who bought it new had it over a year and never put it together.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Electronics are not HSD's strong point it seems!

Comment

It’s a nice jet, gets a lot of looks when I fly it. Ref the no signal - I get that when I forget to plug in the 2s lipo that’s used to power the retracts etc, just something to check. I think the brakes are made by JP.

Comment

Joined Nov 2015
                42 Posts
                hi all... need some help I'm locating a LED afterburner ring for the 105mm.s f16 or j-10 will do. thnx

Comment

Crx turbines or sw-jet

Comment

Comment

In just over a year since I bought my first one, I bought another Arctic Camo. I really didn't want to sell my first one but I needed the funds for my Corsair project. I found Toucan Hobby accepting offers on eBay for a new PNP 12S 160A Arctic Camo and they accepted my offer which was 200 bucks off their suggested retail. Sweet!

They will be testing it for me before shipping. They have to wait until the new year to ship which is fine with me. I really like Toucan Hobby...They did a nice job with my first one AND they were the only distributor that could sell me an Arctic Camo (not yet available at the time in the US) last December. Arrived safe and sound with no issues. I expect the same this time around as well (hopefully).

Always happy to hear other's successful settings (CG/throws/gyro yes or no/throttle-elev mix yes or no, etc) as I found mine to be a bit unpredictable. Some flights were fantastic. Stable, clean, easy. Other flights she acted like she was tail heavy and too twitchy. Could never quite get her to be consistent from flight to flight. Hoping this time around I can learn some settings that others have found to be successful for them.
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

My throws and CG
                        CG is approx 160 with the gear up, measured the right side up

I generally tend to fly with the rates set to mid and expo around 20%

Comment

Wow! 160! That is at the very front end of nose heavy! How do you like the performance and characteristics at that CG?
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

To me the factory 178 seemed very tail heavy, it would be ok under power then would pitch up at throttle off. When my gear is down i'm about 165-170
                            I like it and it works for me, it'll come in really slow and is very easy to rotate on either tarmac or grass.
                            If I had excessive up trim then i'd be concerned but my elevator is pretty level so I don't think I'm adding any drag at this CG.
                            Check out my videos.
                            HSD F-16 105mm EDF, approximately 1:8th scale, all stock electronic equipment. Early 120a version.Gyro off and throttle to elevator mix disabled.Landing gear...

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Oh, meant to add, F16's land so much nicer when they are nose heavy, otherwise they tend to come in very hot and use lots of runway. I don't have access to large flying areas so like this configuration.
                            :Cool:

Comment

Yeah I agree. I had mine at 165 so we are not far off. I agree, she is much more docile with a touch nose heavy CG. Easier to land for sure.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Got a nice update from Toucan Hobby. They Skyped me some photos and video of them testing my F-16 before they ship it out. Nice touch by them!

Name:	^5506AF7963AE69E5BD015BC5ECA3E5BC8981206F6F37878A6A^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	111678

Name:	^5A6F71740557A88C77BA5416CCC90079AFE3EFD38AF6F85163^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	111679
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I'm about to change the paint scheme on my grey F-16. As I have (hopefully) an Artic camo V2 coming I'm feeling adventurous!
                                  I'm hoping that no one has done this scheme before, I certainly haven't seen it on an RC Jet.
                                  Graphics are on their way so I've started the modding and prepping for paint.

Comment

Nice work Porkster! Do keep us informed with your progress! What livery are you going to go with?
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I will extend this conversation that I am having on the RCG thread about gyros.

I have read that some people swear by the high end gyros like Cortex and iGyro 3e for their giant scale models. I am thinking about going that route for this bird. The primary motivation for me to spring for one of these high end gyros is large/heavier models which this bird qualifies. I have had the Hobby Eagle ones (which we sell) and they are nice gyros for the price. I wouldn't flinch putting them in any of my smaller to medium/large size foamies/EDFs. But for this size and weight, I want to go high end. I have used Hobby Eagle gyros in my Freewing 90mm jets with success. Not that I don't think those are capable of working in this model, I just wonder if the investment in a higher end gyro for these giant scale models makes sense (as in you get what you pay for). I am just trying to get to the bottom of if there is a true difference between putting a $30 gyro in this model or a $250 gyro in this model from a quality in experience stand point.

From everything I am reading from those who use the Cortex/iGyro it seems the difference is real. Any thoughts?
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Thanks, I'm going for the Solo Turk Display F-16.
                                        I bought a Cortex Gyro which I've never used. I put it in the Eurofighter after about 6 flights but ironically had another problem with the plane so I still haven't tried it. I was thinking about putting in the F-16?
                                        One of the show pilots in my club swears by them.

Comment

• Aros................so what does the size and weight of an airframe have to do with the function of a gyro?
                                          What are the "real" differences about that is espoused by the RCG threads in a nutshell ?
                                          You sparked my curiosity about these since I'm now venturing into giants also and read both of the Cortex and iGyro 3e device features/nomenclature and don't see any technical things that just standout.
                                          I just couldn't see any justification of spending $170+ more from a Hobby Eagle to an iGyro e3 or Bavariandemon Cortex. ;)The latter does have a :Cool:logo.

Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X