Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some more small steps towards finishing my Solo Turk

Comment

• Very nice! Can't wait to see the final results. I need to figure out my Cortex (nearly lost it last weekend when the roll was reversed, I have no clue why) and new RT battery placement for CG. Flying season is right around the corner!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Thanks Aros. I read your experience with the gyro problem on RCG, that was a very good save buddy!
        I can't wait for the better weather, this reduced flying is driving me crazy!!!!:Silly:

Comment

• Thanks! Just got lucky, honestly. I have superior stick skills maybe 3 days out of the year. The rest of the time I am flying by the seat of my pants. LOL
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Porkster View Post
            some more small steps towards finishing my Solo Turk
            Looking forward to the completed product...that's a very complicated paint scheme.

I saw the Solo Turk demo when I was stationed in Turkey about 4 years ago. Apparently the Turkish built F-16s have a different stabilization program that allows the pilot to do maneuvers a U.S. built F-16 can't.

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
              Thanks! Just got lucky, honestly. I have superior stick skills maybe 3 days out of the year. The rest of the time I am flying by the seat of my pants. LOL
              LMAO LOL:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post

Looking forward to the completed product...that's a very complicated paint scheme.

I saw the Solo Turk demo when I was stationed in Turkey about 4 years ago. Apparently the Turkish built F-16s have a different stabilization program that allows the pilot to do maneuvers a U.S. built F-16 can't.

Sean
                Thanks Sean.

Thats really interesting info there, I certainly didn't know that.
                I watched the Solo Turk display last year at RIAT, it was fantastic, considering the weather, most teams cancelled their displays but the Turk did a low level display and it was awesome. I even went to meet the pilot afterwards and he signed a poster for me.
                I decided there that I was going to do a tribute scheme with my HSD but its taking its time, your right it is fairly complex and some of my graphics aren't working out as well as I hoped so I'm going to have to paint it!!!

Comment

• Okay I just (for the fifth time, yes OCD is strong in this hobby, lol) got done checking the CG again after charging my RT's. I had to move them about 1/2" or 3/4" or so forward from where they were on the last flight where it felt very tail heavy. I miscalculated the CG from the last flight with these new batteries thinking it was around 175mm when in fact it was likely 185+. I now feel confident I have them in the position for 175mm which seems to be a sweet spot. Not too aft, not too nose heavy...The Goldilocks range. Just right.

I also happily discovered that my Cortex seems to be behaving now, without me having to reset/re-calibrate/rebind. The roll axis was doing the proper movements. Pitch always did. You can guarantee I will check again on my next preflight check before taking off. If it is messed up again I will simply shut off the gyro for the flight.

I have the runway space (obstacles be damned) so with the CG more in line with what I like I suspect it should be a good flight. The throws are not crazy but I am adjusting to much less expo (15% instead of 40%) than before. I need to remind myself of that before takeoff.

I haven't had this much drama since flying the SR-71 Blackbird for pete's sake!

But she's worth it. ;)
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I think the key to the cortex gyro working correctly is that it ‘sees’ full deflection on surfaces when setting up and these HSD F16s have to have their throws greatly reduced electronically otherwise as it’s very difficult to get the correct throws mechanically.

Comment

• (Posted over on RCG)...

Flight #5 was overall much improved. CG felt overall better. I keep forgetting I need to add a elevator/gear mix to compensate for the nose-heavy swing when the gear is cycled. Basically I need to set up F Modes for this beast so I am not spending much of the flight manually fighting the sticks. Takeoff was pretty good, other than needing to trim when I cycled the gear I think the settings are definitely getting there. I seem to be over-correcting in roll a lot which is why I see the wings rocking. I may need to reduce the throws a bit more plus I think I am still trying to adjust to the drastically reduced expo (15% instead of 40% which is what I used to fly with).

Once again I seem to really subconsciously enjoy testing the gear. On my first approach I ended up smacking down pretty hard and she popped back up. In that split second decision I decided to give full power and go around. I think it was the smart choice. The second attempt was much better, definitely a cleaner landing sequence. The gear just as stout as ever. Man I can't say enough how impressed I am with the durability and toughness of the gear system.

With some minor adjustments to the throws and getting the Cortex issue figured out I think I will finally be in a place I can just enjoy flying her without tinkering.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Flight 6 from yesterday

Comment

• Nice flight porkster! Very smooth throughout and perfect landing. Much more stable looking than mine so far. Where is your CG at? Throws? Always curious to hear other's settings that have the model dialed in.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey Aros, CG is at factory, maybe marginally a touch forward so 175-178 range. Can't remember the throws off hand but they are significantly reduced on the radio as mechanically they are way too much, I think the elevator is approx 40% throw

Comment

• Thanks for the info...I need a CG stand to truly get the CG on this model. My fingers are not cutting it. I think my last flight which felt better overall was around 175mm. My ailerons are at 45% but I think I am going to knock them down to 40%. Looking forward to flying next weekend (if Mother Nature allows) with the Cortex activated now that it's working again properly.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Progress on the Solo Turk.
                                I think next time I’m sticking to camo paint changes! :Whew:

Comment

• WOW! Beautiful job so far! That is such a great livery. I love how you went for it. A lot of folks wouldn't have the nerve and patience for it. Present company included. LOL LOL

Can't wait to see it finished!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• For those that haven’t seen it over on RCG this is the finished Solo Turk tribute.

Comment

• Now for the next project!! :Whew:

Comment

• I think you, George and I are the only ones on Hobby Squawk with this jet. LOL

Said it before and it's worth repeating. Stunning job on that livery! Turned out fantastic! Now you have your hands full with your rebuild. How's that going?
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Ha ha I think it's really just you and me Aros ! George has too many other planes to fly which are slightly less unwieldy than this I guess (absolutely no offence intended George)
                                          shame as it can be a very rewarding plane when it's dialled in. I guess I'm just trying to generate the love for it with our fellow flyers.
                                          the Artic camo will continue at the weekend as I'm away working now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X