X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 80mm F-86 fuselage adhesive?

Does anyone have experience with attaching the rear section of the fuse, that followed the instructions? My question is...the instructions picture shows to put glue on the two spars but doesn't show to put it on the foam outline itself.
    Is there anyone out there who followed that same instruction?
    If so, has there been any issue with it separating during flight at all?

It seems that the instructions are that way so that its easier to replace that section if it gets damaged. However, it also seems that two much pressure in high fast dives or high rate pitch could put too much pressure in that section.

Thoughts from anyone with this new plane?

Thanks!

Re: Freewing 80mm F-86 fuselage adhesive?

Hi Sky Wolf,
    I used 5 minute epoxy in the spars and their mounting holes, and also brushed a thin layer along the two fuse halves where they connect. After over 100 hard flights on the F-86, I have not seen any signs of separating. The fuselage's mounting points offer lots of surface area for the epoxy to grab hold.

One suggestion would be to secure your servo wires to the servo extension. Clips, floss, tape, or heatshrink tubing are common materials used to ensure the servo doesn't become undone. Once the fuselage is glued together, access to these would be difficult.

Enjoy your model!

Comment

Thanks Alpha! I'll follow your suggestions. Having a better adhesion to the servo wires is an excellent suggestion.

I've already attached the rear fuse using only the connecting spars, but I'll figure out a way to get it out and start over.

Wish me luck!

Comment

FYI everyone, the manual calls for glue only on the two spars that connect the two halves. I did this but was very nervous afterwards. I wondered if the fuse would separate or weaken after high speed turns or dives.

I've had 11 flights so far and it's holding extremely well. No movement at all.

This plane flies impressively well. It didn't flinch even in 12mph winds. This plane doesn't know it's windy.

Comment

Greetings Sky Wolf,

I realize your post goes back a bit but, as I'm just starting my F-86 build I'm really glad I stumbled on to it.

Thanks for asking about the tail connection issue.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
          in Okla.

Comment

Hola Rocketeer!

Glad you were able to run across that thread. It made me really nervous seeing that glue was only going onto the 2 rods, and not the foam as well. However, putting the glue around the foam made it that much stronger. When she went down that tail didn't budge.

Alpha said that the glue on the rods was sufficient, but as you already read, the most important issue is making sure those elevator connectors are secure and taped together. The unthinkable did indeed happen.

She's a beautifully flying bird...and fast! I noticed from your "what's in the hangar" forum that you have the A-6 too...nice. One of my buddies has that too. He and I fly together sometimes, and the sound is super cool with 2 of them in the air.

I like the way Alpha modded his out with the chrome tape. Have you seen his?

Have a good one my friend! Enjoy that bird.

Comment

Greetings Sky Wolf,

Thanks, I did see Alpha's mod and it was really a nice addition to his F-86.
              I will definately pay close attention to the connection of the servos and tail section.

Man, I've never had the opportunity to see two of the 80mm EDFs in the air at the same time. That just had to look and sound amazing!!!

I can't wait to get this one finished!!

Enjoy the weekend

Clear Skies

Bill L.
              in OKla.

Comment

Working...
              X