Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found that as long as I get slowed down a bit, then gear and flaps don't cause any unwanted effects. AZflyer I use the same sequence. I might still mix in a little elevator, but haven't decided yet.
    Hopefully I can fly today! My nose door doesn't cause any problems. I did remove the main doors because one of mine was interfering with complete retraction. Also the little connecting rods are so soft I thought the grass might do something funny to them on takeoff.
    I love this jet. I wish they would do a 90mm super scale version. This one is a tad small.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Sounds about right!! The 4000 is more than enough for this plane with the 4500 being the limit that I would use in it. I always use take off flaps just to get in the air really quickly and full flaps for landing. I have my plane set up in a way that keeps it from ballooning when flaps are lowered regardless of when they are deployed. It took a couple of flights to get right but it works perfect now. I also ripped off the nose gear door landing on grass and never put it back. Before I removed it there were some issues with the plane doing strange stuff with gear down. taking it off works great....
      Yup... The big nose gear door definitely picks up a lot of crosswind pressure and can tip the plane if you're not ready for it or don't have enough speed.

Once you get used to it it's no problem at all, but it does catch some air.

Comment

Mike and I both have the F5 and we both ripped the nose gears off as soon as we were done with media work for that very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
          Mike and I both have the F5 and we both ripped the nose gears off as soon as we were done with media work for that very reason.
          Yeah, it definitely fixes the issue, but I DID notice a little more drag on the top end without the door so I bought another one and it picked right back up.

Comment

Have the Swiss version and fly it solely on the Admiral 5000 50c stock tray no problems. I occasionally put the Genesis 6000 65c in it .....again stock set up no problems.......probably my favorite EDF.......

Comment

I really love this plane after about 20 flights now. I'm getting used the handling. I think I'll leave the gear doors on. I just like the slick front end with the door shut. I'm finding it is about the right speed for deployment and turning when setting up to land. Hopefully I'm getting that down.

Thanks again all. Very helpful stuff indeed.

Comment

This little F-5 is a favorite of mine also. I agree. I like the nose door on.

Comment

Doors on, just looks right..... :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    Doors on, just looks right..... :Cool:
                    Agreed... AND less drag (More speed)

Comment

Just flew mine a couple of days ago, its been hanging up for a couple of months so I got it down and put three flights on it and WOW!!! is it fast, flew it with a brand new Gensace/Tattu 45c 5000 it had great vertical with several rolls before it ran out of steam. Forgot how to take it off I guess, it was all over the place, didn't want to track straight at all. Anyone else have this problem, I checked everything for slop or loose set screws but couldn't find anything wrong, maybe the foam tires got a little hard, did some nice drifting for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                        Just flew mine a couple of days ago, its been hanging up for a couple of months so I got it down and put three flights on it and WOW!!! is it fast, flew it with a brand new Gensace/Tattu 45c 5000 it had great vertical with several rolls before it ran out of steam. Forgot how to take it off I guess, it was all over the place, didn't want to track straight at all. Anyone else have this problem, I checked everything for slop or loose set screws but couldn't find anything wrong, maybe the foam tires got a little hard, did some nice drifting for sure...
                        None at all... It's WORLDS better than that PITA Super Scorpion... You almost clapped every time you were able to get lift even with full flaps lol

Comment

The F-5 is sounds good and flies great. It's just too small for my taste. The factory paint/sticker job was horrible on mine as well.
                          Alpha10 you talking about the 80mm Super Scorpion or another one?

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                            The F-5 is sounds good and flies great. It's just too small for my taste. The factory paint/sticker job was horrible on mine as well.
                            Alpha10 you talking about the 80mm Super Scorpion or another one?
                            Yup. The FW 80mm SS. Don't get me wrong, it was a dream to fly once you got it in the air, but... That was the hard part haha!

It was hands down the worst NON-tracking plane I've owned.

I put a Mirage 80 double nose wheel strut on it for a while, and that helped a lot, but it was still a PITA compared to the rest.

Comment

Well ......I'm on #2 now as #1 found a tree......Still.......one of my favorite EDFs....

Comment

The F-5 is my first EDF and though the winds have kept it on the ground since I got it a few weeks ago, I look forward to the forecast calm weather this weekend. I plan on the maiden flight being in Las Vegas as they have a wonderful dry lake bed near Boulder City that a local group of enthusiasts has marked and maintained a great playa runway. Lots of runway plus lots of area to land if things go crazy the first time.
                                I don't know if I am the only person who has had this problem though, so just words to the wise. Yesterday when I was checking all the settings I noticed the rudder stopped responding. Nose gear was fine. A little investigation revealed the servo cord had been cut inside the fuselage. Based on the location it appears it got sucked into the fan and neatly sliced. Luckily I have plenty of spares from previous projects over the years. So while I could not find any specific mention in the instructions, make sure you pull the slack on the rudder servo into the wooden ESC shelf when you install the tail. This should help protect it. I am probably just an idiot for this but I have found that we are very rarely the only idiots in the world. :)

Comment

Yeah when I build these planes I am very cognizant of where my wires are and whether they are being pressed against any sharp edges. It was probably cut against the edge of the fan shroud. If it had been sucked in the fan you would have known it.
                                  Fun plane. Floats on landing unless you slow her down.

Comment

At first I thought the shroud has cut it, but if you look at the cut it doesn't seem possible. There appears to be a triangle shape taken out of it rather than just cut across. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by StewW View Post
                                      The F-5 is my first EDF and though the winds have kept it on the ground since I got it a few weeks ago, I look forward to the forecast calm weather this weekend. I plan on the maiden flight being in Las Vegas as they have a wonderful dry lake bed near Boulder City that a local group of enthusiasts has marked and maintained a great playa runway. Lots of runway plus lots of area to land if things go crazy the first time.
                                      I don't know if I am the only person who has had this problem though, so just words to the wise. Yesterday when I was checking all the settings I noticed the rudder stopped responding. Nose gear was fine. A little investigation revealed the servo cord had been cut inside the fuselage. Based on the location it appears it got sucked into the fan and neatly sliced. Luckily I have plenty of spares from previous projects over the years. So while I could not find any specific mention in the instructions, make sure you pull the slack on the rudder servo into the wooden ESC shelf when you install the tail. This should help protect it. I am probably just an idiot for this but I have found that we are very rarely the only idiots in the world. :)
                                      All it takes is one time...LOL It has happened to me....ONCE!! I am really a stickler about getting all of the wires tucked away after it cut both elevator servo wires on a plane that only used elevator servos...LOL The fans produce lots of suction and most people doen't even realize how much! I zip tie them or make sure that they are taped/glued in a manor that prevents this from happening
                                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

As you say, it will happen only once. I now secure them also and check several times to make sure they are nice and tight.
                                        it is amazing how much suction those motors can generate.
                                        thank you so much for the tips.

Comment

Well #2 had the expiration date come sooner than I'd like.....hazy day and got a little too far out as I was setting up for landing...disoriented and lost her......don't think I will get another one.....it's just too small for me to see .....getting old I guess....

Comment

Working...
                                          X