Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see why we can't have our cake and eat it too. Why have a cake if ya can't eat it? Make it fly and ship with two. Make the other two optional add ons for those who prefer it. There see I solved the problem. : )

W

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

I would like a 747. Some of the older airliners are legendary. I love those planes, in my career I racked up a ton of miles in the 747 as a passenger, almost all various types. I miss em a lot. When you spend that kind of time in a plane like the 747, they are like a long lost friend that is slowly passing away. I would seriously like to see them refit it with newer more efficient engines and upgraded wing design and keep on flying. I had the privilege of landing a Flying Tigers Airfreight 747 once in Taipei once the US Navy had chartered. It was an easy plane to land, but the captain had to call out the gear height for me, and tell me when to flair. The cockpit is so high up it threw me off.

For me the one I would love to see is an L-1011 Tri-Star. But that's just me. W
      That height above the ground is really something, as you found out! The sitting height from the ground to the top of the upper deck is about 33 feet. Your eyeball in the pilot seat to the ground is about 29 feet (aircraft setting on the ground). Combine that with a pitch attitude of about 3-4 degrees for flare for landing, it is even much higher than that. Most of the airplanes had flare tones, ours had one at 100 feet radio altitude, then 35 feet, and the last at 20 feet. At 20 feet, you usually reduced to idle power and hold the pitch attitude to touch down on the mains, and then gently "fly" the nose onto the ground. Most times it was pretty routine, but on occasion, you could prang it on a bit! But it was all great.

Comment

Our AL37 is going to go a very long way in helping us determine the future when it comes to expanding our airliner class. The 747 is a classic no-brainer, but it all boils down to how well received our first airliner is and if preliminary pre-sale sales are any indication I would say the future looks very, very bright for us airliner fans!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Bright, indeed
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Go figure.......

PS gonna pre-order mine sometime today. W

I'm actually having a hard time making up my mind which one to order first, since I plan to have a few of these. In regards to the 747. I just think it would be a little odd to see a AL37, sitting next to an AL47 with them both being about the same size. I know petty details, I would get the 747 for sure if offered, just never take them out on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by davegee View Post

That height above the ground is really something, as you found out! The sitting height from the ground to the top of the upper deck is about 33 feet. Your eyeball in the pilot seat to the ground is about 29 feet (aircraft setting on the ground). Combine that with a pitch attitude of about 3-4 degrees for flare for landing, it is even much higher than that. Most of the airplanes had flare tones, ours had one at 100 feet radio altitude, then 35 feet, and the last at 20 feet. At 20 feet, you usually reduced to idle power and hold the pitch attitude to touch down on the mains, and then gently "fly" the nose onto the ground. Most times it was pretty routine, but on occasion, you could prang it on a bit! But it was all great.
              I'm gonna miss em. Seriously. I always feel sad when I see them these days. They use to be "EVERYWHERE". Woody

Comment

We flew our planes, most of them, into the desert where they were chopped up for scrap. We did rescue some cockpit parts like the Inertial Reference System selector panel which runs the entire navigation system as well as inputs to other important items. I made it into a plaque to give to our old boss. I was able to keep the rudder trim unit that all of us used on flights that was mounted between the two pilots on the pedestal. It came out of the first airplane in the world (N663US) to be put into passenger service in 1989 with Northwest Airlines. Things like those mean a lot to me, looking back on the great memories of flying them. If they get a nice 747 model, I'll certainly buy one!

Comment

Originally posted by davegee View Post
                  We flew our planes, most of them, into the desert where they were chopped up for scrap. We did rescue some cockpit parts like the Inertial Reference System selector panel which runs the entire navigation system as well as inputs to other important items. I made it into a plaque to give to our old boss. I was able to keep the rudder trim unit that all of us used on flights that was mounted between the two pilots on the pedestal. It came out of the first airplane in the world (N663US) to be put into passenger service in 1989 with Northwest Airlines. Things like those mean a lot to me, looking back on the great memories of flying them. If they get a nice 747 model, I'll certainly buy one!
                  Northwest Airlines was my choice of airlines when traveling as a passenger to Asia for years. I think they were one of the best international airlines in the world in Asia Pacific. I think my first AL-37 I build will be a Northwest 37. I would love to make a NW 747. I would have loved to have some of that stuff man,

Woody

Comment

I grew up East of St. Paul and regularly drove past MSP, which was Northwest’s home base. Always loved seeing the red and gray 747s flying overhead. If I was to do an airliner scheme, Northwest would be at the top of the list! I still would probably convert it to the Shuttle Carrier though, too iconic of a machine to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                      I grew up East of St. Paul and regularly drove past MSP, which was Northwest’s home base. Always loved seeing the red and gray 747s flying overhead. If I was to do an airliner scheme, Northwest would be at the top of the list! I still would probably convert it to the Shuttle Carrier though, too iconic of a machine to pass up.
                      I really liked our earlier NWA paint schemes with a lot of natural metal finish for most of the plane, a white and blue stripe down the fuselage and of course that iconic red tail! There was one scheme we deemed to call "The Bowling Shoe" which many didn't care for so much. The red color doesn't fare well in the elements, especially the sun beating down on top of the plane. Very expensive, and then looks faded and flat way too soon.

The last scheme prior to the DAL merger was a sorta champagne silver color for the fuse, I sorta liked that one, too.

Comment

I spent many hours on Northwest's 747-200s and 747-400s a few years back. I was flying to Asia every month. Racked up many, many WorldPerks Miles! Definitely my airline of choice. I was sad when it was merged with Delta. I loved the First class on the -200s ! 12 seats and very peaceful flights. I have already spoken to Callie for the NWA decals for my new Motion airliner - even though they did not fly 737s.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polo View Post
                          Would you guys buy a 747 model if it had two working EDFs and two dummy engines? Or would you say that four EDFs is a must?
                          I wouldnt mind 2 working 80mm turbines. metal casing for realistic sound

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate View Post
                            I spent many hours on Northwest's 747-200s and 747-400s a few years back. I was flying to Asia every month. Racked up many, many WorldPerks Miles! Definitely my airline of choice. I was sad when it was merged with Delta. I loved the First class on the -200s ! 12 seats and very peaceful flights. I have already spoken to Callie for the NWA decals for my new Motion airliner - even though they did not fly 737s.

Bob
                            OH man BTL??? Northwest operated more than a few 737's domestically. Personally I think it was the domestic side of things that pretty much tanked for NWA. I never took a domestic flight on NWA, just to the and from the Orient. I remember landing in Narita and I was in the land fo NWA 747's. Every direction as far as you could see. 25 or 30 of them in one concourse where they came from all parts of the Orient to connect from all other parts of the world. But I never rode on any other plane that Northwest flew other than the 747's. I've had a hard time deciding between these two. I like many want various liveries. W

Comment

OH man BTL??? Northwest operated more than a few 737's domestically. Personally I think it was the domestic side of things that pretty much tanked for NWA. I never took a domestic flight on NWA, just to the and from the Orient. I remember landing in Narita and I was in the land fo NWA 747's. Every direction as far as you could see. 25 or 30 of them in one concourse where they came from all parts of the Orient to connect from all other parts of the world. But I never rode on any other plane that Northwest flew other than the 747's. I've had a hard time deciding between these two. I like many want various liveries. W
                              Looks great, but NWA never flew any 737s of any type in their fleet composition. But it still looks cool so whatever floats your boat, have at it!!

Comment

I just have not seen any pics of NWA 737s. I flew 95% international an, you are right - there was a fleet of NWA 747s all lined up. It was a very busy hub especially around 3pm - 6 pm local time. That was when everyone landed and swapped planes for other parts of Asia! Those were some good times. I will do my airliner in the later silver scheme with the red tail.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                  HSD is currently working on a quad 90mm 747-400. But at that size it's going to be pricey, probably somewhere near $1500 would be my guess. But man is this thing HUGE!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	72679640_2371354792899847_6457082424403689472_n.jpg
Views:	2777
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	216034
                                  I would buy it, but I’d rather give my $$$ to MRC/FW. I think a 90 for the Lumpy is to big, but a 70/80mm would work. The Queen of the skies must have a EDF and it should be sooner rather than later!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    Our AL37 is going to go a very long way in helping us determine the future when it comes to expanding our airliner class. The 747 is a classic no-brainer, but it all boils down to how well received our first airliner is and if preliminary pre-sale sales are any indication I would say the future looks very, very bright for us airliner fans!
                                    Arose,
                                    I’d buy any airliner you guys make and probably 3/4 of each. But I’d have to pass on a 2 engine 747, there’s no point. I would however, love to see a 2 engine DC-10 or B727. Those two would be fine with 2 EDF’s. A 80mm B787 would be AWESOME, I ways a engineer for Boeing on the 787 program. Anyway, how long will it be before we see another airliner, not to long we hope?

Comment

Not too long I hope!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

New guy here-Today Boeing said they may bring back the 747-800 into passenger production since the A380 is no longer. I also have been looking for an RC 747 for years with no luck.

Comment

Well, it’s taken a lot longer than I thought, but I finally have my Shuttle Carrier 747. Next on to the Space Shuttle..

Comment

Working...
                                          X