X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 64mm Stinger Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 64mm Stinger. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this aircraft.
    Attached Files
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Hey guys...I just finished assembling this plane and marked the CG at 60-70mm from the LE at the fuse. This is CG as recommended by the manual.

Can you let me know if you are using the recommended
    mark or have you found the CG to be further back?

Thanks in advance,

Tim, Jefferson GA

PS: 3s, five blade version.
    GP Sport Zero, scratch built MA Sky Skimmer, VQ SBD, Eflite Pulse XT & RV-9, FW Stinger 64, Hanger 9 Saratoga, GP P6-E Hawk, FMS Stuka & B-25, Lanyu Do335, PZ Albatros, Eflite Hurricane 25e, Airfield F4-U, Freewing P-51D, Dynam Tempest, Bf-110 & 182, GWS Mustang & Formosa, FZ Switch, Eflite L-4, RocHobby Critical Mass, Alien Aircraft Gadget, RCM&E scratch built CanDoo, Dynaflite Piece O’Cake, HK Ventus, FZ Beaver, Avios Sea Fury, Uravitch 52" OV-10, Herr Engineering J-3

Comment

IfIHadWings, (nice! :cool:​) Is it the HP with a 4 cell 2200 mAh recommended, or the 3 cell version with the 1600 mAh recommended? I don't have the gear installed on mine, so maybe someone else can chime in on what they have found with the gear. This is what I have found with this kit as a belly lander...

I acquired the HP version first, installed an Admiral 2200 mAh, and found 60mm CG too tail heavy for me. 70mm CG was still about 5-10 degrees (guesstimate) tail heavy with 2200 as far forward as possible, and no gear. Almost installed nose weight before maiden but didn't (I like a little nose heavy on every other plane I have). Left it that way, prayed, threw it on maiden, and loved the way it flew! What's that about having a little faith :angel:​? Has been a blast to fly ever since.

Picked up an SD standard kit (3s) from MRC, a couple drops of glue, nose fixed - slightly bent (just like mine) :p​. Installed a 3cell 1600 mAh recommended, and at 70 mm CG tried to repeat the same angle as my HP version, 5-10 degrees tail heavy. Added 7 g of nose weight, came out more like 20 degrees tail heavy - deal breaker for me. Decided to use 1800 mAh 3 cell Admiral instead, with the 7g of weight installed, and it matched up to my HP 4 cell, closer to 5 degrees tail heavy. Flew great on maiden this way for me, and ever since. Not sure what the CG is like with gear installed. Bueller?....Bueller?

Comment

Forgot to add that the ones I have are the 5-blade, not the 12 blade editions.

Comment

Thanks Westsider! It is the 3s, five blade version. Simple and cheap but I'd rather not destroy it on my first flight. I have 1800s and 2200s. Like you, I believe it will need nose weight using the 1800 but the 2200 lets me move the battery back a fuzz to get it to balance just behind 70mm. Looking at a buddy's much larger Cobra swept wing (similar design to the Stinger) his CG is more near the middle of the wing along the fuse...much further back...about the end of the finger slots on this model.

im using the gear after failing "hand toss school" and destroying my nice Freewing Panther (my first EDF). I learned a lot....most of all...use gear. Not new to RC, but an EDF noob for sure.

I like your experience and I'll add the prayer, too!
          GP Sport Zero, scratch built MA Sky Skimmer, VQ SBD, Eflite Pulse XT & RV-9, FW Stinger 64, Hanger 9 Saratoga, GP P6-E Hawk, FMS Stuka & B-25, Lanyu Do335, PZ Albatros, Eflite Hurricane 25e, Airfield F4-U, Freewing P-51D, Dynam Tempest, Bf-110 & 182, GWS Mustang & Formosa, FZ Switch, Eflite L-4, RocHobby Critical Mass, Alien Aircraft Gadget, RCM&E scratch built CanDoo, Dynaflite Piece O’Cake, HK Ventus, FZ Beaver, Avios Sea Fury, Uravitch 52" OV-10, Herr Engineering J-3

Comment

Maiden flight yesterday. Range check, CG check, fail safe check, taxi check complete. ~6mph wind down the runway.
            Rotated after about 60' of gradual throttle. Climbed to three mistakes high while trimming.
            It was a handful but got safely on the ground with a nice three point landing. Got some tweaking to do.

Comment

This could be a fun little jet!
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Just picked up this little jet from Motion RC and built it in about 30 minutes. Most time consuming task is fishing the servo wires to the RX through the fuselage. Upon opening the box the right side of the fuselage pin striping was missing about 1" strip and the right wing had a couple holes in it. I contacted MRC and let them know so hopefully QA will rectify those out of spec issues. Took it to the field tonight to maiden it with a 3s 2200 30C battery. CG was perfect and the little jet flew like it never wanted to come down. Vertical, inverted, knife edge anything you ask, it does. All the reviews were right; this is a great purchase and I hope to enjoy it for many more flights.

Comment

She’s been too much fun for the price!!

Comment

Working...
                  X