You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could freewing produce a twin 80mm F/A-18F super hornet?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

I think a nice sized single 90mm F-18c with a HV capable battery bay would be great in a 40-48" wingspan. Great compromise between size, performance, economics, and weight. :)
    8S would be epic! :Scared: power, speed, less weight than a twin setup. The T-45 is around 48"but that wing profile and functioning slats make it possible in that size with up to 10S capable power! That size would be possible in the model f-18 if it had functional L/E slats like the real thing. I'd like to see a functioning tail hook as well and the air brake of course, for pure scale! 9 channel is about all you need for that. if you splice the tail hook in with the flaps and/or slats. (i'd want to use elevons like the real one for scale so that might not be possible with a dx9) :)

Comment

So it's clear this topic isn't about a twin anymore LOL give us a completely scale single 90mm 6 - 10S capable bird and most will be satisfied :Cool:

Comment

Guys, I built, from the ground up, a Haoye F-18 (44" ws) . Wemo 90 mm, 1600 KV HET on 5000 8s and at 11 lbs. flies very well. The grass at our sod farm field is just ridiculous so I bungee and belly it. I didn't even consider a twin when planning the build and g;ad I didn't- initial thrust is just a bit under 1:1. Were FW and MRC to offer a "C" Hornet in this size (and it would no doubt be incredible) I'd sure buy it!
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
          Were FW and MRC to offer a "C" Hornet in this size (and it would no doubt be incredible) I'd sure buy it!
          Tom
          I think if FW were to offer a model that could be configured as earthier a single seater "C" variant or a two-seat "D" variant it would appeal to a greater customer base.
          Having a two-seat variant would allow someone to make a proper EA-18G Growler. FW could even offer a kit of the jamming pods and decals to easily turn it into a Growler.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	EA-18G Growler.jpg Views:	2 Size:	298.2 KB ID:	76934

Comment

Agreed. C or D model would be preferred. Just want a scale F-18 in any model. The one Freewing has now just doesn't do it for me. It's a nice plane, just can't get behind the TV and no rudders. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post

I think if FW were to offer a model that could be configured as earthier a single seater "C" variant or a two-seat "D" variant it would appeal to a greater customer base.
              Having a two-seat variant would allow someone to make a proper EA-18G Growler. FW could even offer a kit of the jamming pods and decals to easily turn it into a Growler.
              Click image for larger version Name:	EA-18G Growler.jpg Views:	2 Size:	298.2 KB ID:	76934

one word..... EPIC!

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                Agreed. C or D model would be preferred. Just want a scale F-18 in any model. The one Freewing has now just doesn't do it for me. It's a nice plane, just can't get behind the TV and no rudders. Thanks guys!
                The TV just never made sense to me on an f-18. I guess they weren't striving for scale but I'm pretty sure that's what appeals about foam EDF's in the 80-90mm size, the scale detail of FW planes is unmatched.

Comment

Guys, I built, from the ground up, a Haoye F-18 (44" ws) . Wemo 90 mm, 1600 KV HET on 5000 8s and at 11 lbs. flies very well. The grass at our sod farm field is just ridiculous so I bungee and belly it. I didn't even consider a twin when planning the build and g;ad I didn't- initial thrust is just a bit under 1:1. Were FW and MRC to offer a "C" Hornet in this size (and it would no doubt be incredible) I'd sure buy it!
                  Tom
                  Top stuff! I'm considering buying a T-45 kit+ and running that on 8S, I'm sceptical of the FW 8S power unit though, 1250kV seems low at nominal 29.6V. 37,000rpm is a fair bit different to 47,360rpm at nominal voltage of the wemo HET setup. What sort of flight time do you get with this bad boy?

Comment

Around 4 minutes, but of course I might not fly like you. Initial amps are ~97, settling to maybe 90 at WOT (this with 5000 65C batteries). You could always go with the HET 1500 kv motor for a slightly milder setup. What would the T-45 weigh?
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by The Junganaught View Post

Top stuff! I'm considering buying a T-45 kit+ and running that on 8S, I'm sceptical of the FW 8S power unit though, 1250kV seems low at nominal 29.6V. 37,000rpm is a fair bit different to 47,360rpm at nominal voltage of the wemo HET setup. What sort of flight time do you get with this bad boy?
                      Meh, the FW 1250 setup is a TANK... Like over 600g I believe. That's just not ideal for a plane that's already on the hefty side IMHO.

I'd stick with something much lighter if you're swapping the EDF and going 8s. JF or DS-51

Comment

Around 4 minutes, but of course I might not fly like you. Initial amps are ~97, settling to maybe 90 at WOT (this with 5000 65C batteries). You could always go with the HET 1500 kv motor for a slightly milder setup. What would the T-45 weigh?
                        Tom
                        I have a V2 DH112 on 6S and a full flight at max throttle chasing my friends viper was 3 and a half minutes exactly (my standard timer) and i had 3.42 volts in each cell left. My battery checker said 3% left LOL.I'll normally have 3.7-3.8 volts per cell landing on my timer including taxi in and out on grass. I believe an 8S T-45 I've seen is around 4 to 4.5Kg (9ish pounds) depending on battery type and motor/fan combo. stock 6S they claim is a shade under 8lbs so not a whole lot of weight difference for a lot more power and probably the same sort of run time (about 4 to 4.5 minutes with good throttle management). Pretty keen to see what price they might sell 90mm upgrade package for the A-10 too... MRC just really insist on taking my money! ;)LOL

Comment

Meh, the FW 1250 setup is a TANK... Like over 600g I believe. That's just not ideal for a plane that's already on the hefty side IMHO.

I'd stick with something much lighter if you're swapping the EDF and going 8s. JF or DS-51
                          That would add a lot of weight considering there's 2 4S 5000's up front... i wonder if the DrMadThrust's are any lighter or if they produce more thrust without compromising flight time. I have to assess more options i think before i commit :Cool:

Comment

That would add a lot of weight considering there's 2 4S 5000's up front... i wonder if the DrMadThrust's are any lighter or if they produce more thrust without compromising flight time. I have to assess more options i think before i commit :Cool:
                            I definitely would. Heck... Even my all alloy JP 8s unit weighs only 459g and my DS51-HET combo is even a little less than that.

I've also stripped the slats and motors and airbrakes to lean it out even more... Came out very nice. :)

Comment

I definitely would. Heck... Even my all alloy JP 8s unit weighs only 459g and my DS51-HET combo is even a little less than that.

I've also stripped the slats and motors and airbrakes to lean it out even more... Came out very nice. :)
                              That's handy to know about the weight of power systems, I've never really put much thought into it, but i will now! how does the T-45 perform without the slats? I've heard and seen a video of one wing dropping on approach, I've been wondering if it's pilot error or an aerodynamic issue without the extra wing area and angle of attack the slats would produce.

Comment

Dr Mad units are usually Bricks..Great for lead weights..LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Yup. Paperweights with very inconsistent kv ratings. Some are really hot and some are under IME.

Comment

Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Roger that. I have found a local distributor of HET so all is well. I just wish i had a big scale F-18 to put it in! :Cool:LOL

Comment

Hurry up, Freewing/Flightline ............................ FMS is about to release their new 6s, 70mm F-18. It looks fast. To me, a 70mm in this size for an F-18 is too small since the FW 90mm flies so nice and has more presence.
                                      4.2K views, 117 likes, 11 loves, 27 comments, 20 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from FMSmodel: We tested the FMS 70mm F-18 today. Have a look at the short video. Really fast speed. 😯

https://www.facebook.com/FMSmodel/ph...type=3&theater

Comment

Don't worry if the last few scenarios are played FMS makes the smaller version of what Freewing makes larger so a 80-90mm F-18 is coming .. Question is what model.. Let's all hope it's a Type C & not another Super Hornet..:)

Comment

You gotta hand it to FMS though. Their 70mm, 6s planes are more "affordable" compared to the bigger Freewing ones.

Comment

Working...
                                          X