X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cashmoneybrother View Post
    Yeah!!!!! Bring it..either one would be cool. I like the new airliner but i think they missed the mark.. I would have def preferred a hustler.
    This post had died out because in post #27 I had re-posted the reply to the feasibility of the B-58 by Alpha who's job is to develop new models for Freewing. He pretty much said that it would be very complex and expensive to execute in foam.
    A better option that would be a hot seller would be the B1 Lancer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1 Lancer 2.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	217328

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post

This post had died out because in post #27 I had re-posted the reply to the feasibility of the B-58 by Alpha who's job is to develop new models for Freewing. He pretty much said that it would be very complex and expensive to execute in foam.
      A better option that would be a hot seller would be the B1 Lancer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1 Lancer 2.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	217328
      Part of the problem though is people wanting "scale". Because many would want all four engines in either a Bone of a Vulcan, and landing gear just like the real aircraft drives it out of the cost-efficiency envelope. A little compromise goes a long way. Someone wants an SR-71, which can't be done because of the foam, would they settle for an A-12 Oxcart which was mostly silver in stead? Would they accept a Vulcan or Bone that had
      twin 70 mm in "cheater pods" with some decent retracts but don't look like you pulled them off the real plane and shrunk them. But the Bone MUST have the swing wings which can be be derived from the F-14 model. I personally would GLADLY accept an XB-70 that was essentially and upgraded version of the Nice Sky Valkyrie, with an up-to-date 70 mm EDF (though still 4S) feeding a six outlet manifold and better retractable landing gear. I don't need functioning rudders, functional canard, retractable windshield, or moving wing tips. I don't even need doors on the retracts.

Comment

Everyone knows I love the B1B, and the Valkrie too, and the Hustler even more!

An easy, hugely simplified test for those curious to calculate their own probability-based prediction of what a factory like us would develop (or not) is to take, for example, a front view of the Bone, measure the maximum thickness at the engine area, convert that measurement to 125mm (at minimum), then apply the ratio to the rest of the airplane. That will give you an approximate wingspan, length, and other traits of the model. Crunch the numbers to derive an estimate of wing area and weight (factoring in all known components' weight, plus the sweeping wingbox mech and all necessary structural reinforcements), then derive wing loading, servo/electronics position, etc. That will go you the rough dimms/specs on a 70mm Bone. Somewhere in the middle of all that, build and fly a few prototypes a bunch of times to make sure it even flies well at your target size/weight/cost. If it doesn't, game over. If it does, proceed:

Now calculate dimm weight on a shipping box after compartmentalizing the major sub-assemblies so everything fits. Remember, if you're a centimeter over, the shipping cost can jump in some cases from ~$25 to ~$55, so size wisely.

Now add a six figure front end investment for molds and tooling. Let's keep it simple for now and omit the component cost, labor, freight, insurance, spare parts percentaged inventory, etc.

Divide your [incomplete] total by how many you think you could sell within a year or two, since you can't wait too long to repeat the investment cycle. Add a bit of profit, since it's taken you over a year to bring it this far and unfortunately sweat equity isn't acceptable currency at most places of business.

Look at the final number you'd need to recoup per unit and the projected quantity you'd move at that number, keeping extra in reserve for servicing.

Sound like a solid bet?

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Park Flyer Plastics makes an EDF Hustler in kit form. Looks kinda nice

Comment

Working...
          X