Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54" F4D-1 Skyray

Hello again my peeps!!

Drawings are complete, and construction has begun in earnest. The model is going to be powered by a 90mm inrunner, on 6S 5000 mAh with a Castle Creations Talon 120A ESC.

Built up ribs construction for the fuse, the ducting will be achieved with poster board, lightly brushed with fiberglass resin for waterproofing and durability. Wings will feature a radial spar design. The landing gear are rotating, so I think I am going to use the new A-4 Skyhawk landing gear in it. I am toying with the idea to make the wings removable, but I have not gotten that far in yet, so I will wait to see the viability of this option when I get there. The span is only 43", so it will not be totally cumbersome. The tall tail (which I have decided to go rudderless) will present more transportation problems than the wings I think.

Anyway, here are the start of construction photos, I hope you guys enjoy the build!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skyray 2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	94635

Name:	Skyray 3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	94636

Name:	Skyray 1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	94637

You are a wild man Mike!
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Awesome! Eager to see the finished product.

Comment

Subscribed!!! Loooove it man! And perfect size to boot!!!

Brent

Comment

Looking like a fuse can not wait to see more.

Comment

WANT!
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              WANT!
              I told ya a long time ago....freewing 80mm...cmon! :p ill settle for 90mm though....lolol

Comment

Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post

I told ya a long time ago....freewing 80mm...cmon! :p ill settle for 90mm though....lolol
                That's pretty funny. My original intent was 80mm in this one, but once I got the drawings finished, and was looking at it, I thought an 80 might not have as much a$$ as I was hoping for. Now that construction has started, and I am seeing exactly what it will be, I think I might should have stuck with the 80. I think the 90 is gonna put this thing into orbit. I already have all of ducting sized for the 90 though, so no turning back now!! To the moon Alice!!!

Comment

90 will be awesome. If it has the inlet area, why not :) my 28" wingspan depron version was 70mm amd it flew saweet. It is a skyray afterall..performance should be pretty spirited :) they set some records thats for sure. Such a cool subject.

Comment

I have already determined that I am going to need a cheater due to the small inlets, but that is okay. Rather have the air and not need it, than need it and not have it!!! The way that I have the ducting worked out, I think I am going to add two louvers, one aft of each inlet, and I am thinking I may put one just forward of the fan as well. I don't want to compromise the duct too much though. I will have to do some wattage and thrust tests once everything has come together.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
                      I think I might should have stuck with the 80. I think the 90 is gonna put this thing into orbit. I already have all of ducting sized for the 90 though, so no turning back now!! To the moon Alice!!!
                      Remember the throttle is not boolean (off or on); you can fly at something less than full. Ha ha, just yanking your chain. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed plane and a flight video. This is very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Remember the throttle is not boolean (off or on); you can fly at something less than full. Ha ha, just yanking your chain. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed plane and a flight video. This is very cool!
                        I do not use the throttle stick for throttle, I assign the throttle channel to a two way switch;)

Comment

Last nights progress...

Views:	188
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	94795

Views:	193
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	94796

Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	94797

Comment

Progress from last night. I finally got her off the board!! Wow, super light and super strong!! She is straight as an arrow and very rigid. Tonight, I will get the upper ducting in and the fan mounts, get the top sheeting filled and sanded, and start working on drawing the bottom formers. I also went ahead last night and made the templates for the tail and the wing, so maybe I can get a few snapshots of what the whole picture will look like!!

Views:	197
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	94930

Views:	187
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	94931

Views:	195
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	94932

Name:	Skyray 4.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	94933

Comment

This is really cool! Same materials as the Bronco, half inch blue with 3/16 sheathing and epoxy? Brilliant! I might build one as a belly lander, and power it with a 80mm 6 blade on 4s. Probably make a great edf trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                                This is really cool! Same materials as the Bronco, half inch blue with 3/16 sheathing and epoxy? Brilliant! I might build one as a belly lander, and power it with a 80mm 6 blade on 4s. Probably make a great edf trainer.
                                Yup, same material as the Bronco!! After getting it off the bench last night, I am seriously thinking about shrinking the fan mount section and putting the 80mm fan in it. The top of the fuse doesn't even weigh 6 oz, I think the empty weight for this one is going to come in about 24 oz or so. That will put it all up minus the battery at about 4 lbs. There will be three servos (No rudder or flaps. Nose wheel steering and elevons), three retracts, receiver, ESC and fan. I am afraid that 90mm inrunner will tear it to pieces, because you know, if I have the power, I am going to use it!! I am taking a short stay home vacation, so today is my last day at work until Wednesday, so maybe, I can have it pretty close to finished by then, and get a maiden next weekend!!

Here she is with the posterboard wing and tail templates!!

Name:	Skyray 5.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	94984

Comment

You may have to Fiberglas this one! Reminds me of an funny story I read on the squawk....
                                  LOL

Comment

You may have to Fiberglas this one! Reminds me of an funny story I read on the squawk....
                                    LOL
                                    You are not amusing...:Crying::Crying::Crying:LOLLOL

Comment

LOL
                                      I missed that one Boots.........how about a refresher for us memory challenged Squawkers :P
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

I missed that one Boots.........how about a refresher for us memory challenged Squawkers :P

He is just making fun of me and my 18 pound King Kobra....

Comment

Working...
                                        X