You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you like/dislike about your RC club?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
    Yeah when I was in a club there was one guy that would absolutely hog the field, and because he was the resident bad ass 3D pilot the other guys would just let him have it. Not me, when you fly pack after pack or fuel tank after fuel tank for 45 minutes straight not allowing anyone else to fly, that's a problem. After seeing the same maneuvers 100 times in a day that gets boring. Hovering dead center on the runway when someone attempts to bring their plane out, who are you kidding? So me and a couple of my warbird flying buddies deside enough of that, brought out our parkzone warbirds and took off. The club president drove up in the meantime so mr. Badass decides to complain to the president about us flying in his way. Really we were 150 ft up you were dang near tail touching the runway. Of course at the time I was still in my uniform and after our 5 minute flight was over the president called us over and asked us what happened. I basically said "for his 45+ minutes of nonstop flying, we took 5. It's not an event day and we were on our side of the field and up high away from him. He had all that space, no where near him, so tell me again how we were in the wrong?" And yes we announced or takeoffs. He had no answer just that hes such a good pilot we need to give him space. Mind you there are helli guys out there as well and we got along great no problems at all! Just this one punk who thought he owned any field he brought his plane to. So at that point I told the president it's about time to soldier up or its gonna be a bad day at the club. So at that he went to talk to the guy, and since then he wasn't as much of a problem, however he was still an ass and still did hog up the runway as he was flying. Just not as constant. So glad I got away from that, and this new group is so much better
    One bad apple can ruin it for everyone. As they say once a punk always a punk. Glad you got it taken care of.
    Still Learning:D

Comment

Exactly, life is so much better with this new group

Comment

I've been locked out of this thread as well as a few others. I think I may have found out how to get back in. I did a search for the thread and committed as I did here and now it lets me back in.

Comment

Ah cool glad you got in

Comment

I got lucky and found a wonderful club to fly with. I was scared to join a club after hearing stories about clubs not allowing any foam flyers join or scoff at somebody who didn't plant a tree, grow it, cut it down, and make a plane out of it. Instead, I found a great group of guys who are very welcoming and happy to help or offer encouragement. The club is pretty small with only about 10 members, but it is great since we all know each other and the field isn't crowded. It is a nice mix of pilots and planes. Some fly 3D, some fly helicopters, some fly aerobatics, some fly electric, some fly nitro, and I am there with my warbirds and general aviation aircraft. I do wish there were more warbirds to fly with.

I would prefer a paved runway as it is almost impossible to get the grass short enough for my planes. However, being such a good club, the guy handing the grass cutting made me a special runway so I could try flying off of really short grass. Like I said, a pretty good group of guys. Now, if they could figure out how to get perfect flying weather all year, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
              I got lucky and found a wonderful club to fly with. I was scared to join a club after hearing stories about clubs not allowing any foam flyers join or scoff at somebody who didn't plant a tree, grow it, cut it down, and make a plane out of it. Instead, I found a great group of guys who are very welcoming and happy to help or offer encouragement. The club is pretty small with only about 10 members, but it is great since we all know each other and the field isn't crowded. It is a nice mix of pilots and planes. Some fly 3D, some fly helicopters, some fly aerobatics, some fly electric, some fly nitro, and I am there with my warbirds and general aviation aircraft. I do wish there were more warbirds to fly with.

I would prefer a paved runway as it is almost impossible to get the grass short enough for my planes. However, being such a good club, the guy handing the grass cutting made me a special runway so I could try flying off of really short grass. Like I said, a pretty good group of guys. Now, if they could figure out how to get perfect flying weather all year, that would be great.
              That’s a lesson for all clubs right there...:Win:

Comment

Sounds like my club, except for the runway, e are lucky enough to have a paved one.
                A variety of different airplanes, a couple of drones and very few helicopters, mostly on the fly in days do you see one.
                The beauty of it is that you can sample different types of flying and learn from every one. Usually there ae more than 6 people there at a time so we are courteous and allow everyone to have the air to themselves, unless we decide to haul out the jets or a gaggle of fighters.
                It's great because I don't have to worry about a 3Der hovering over the runway and they don't have to worry about a fighter crashing into their airplane.
                No politics, no religion no age difference, nothing but flight and its great.

Now about that weather, raining here and I was hoping to get back in the air after getting back from Indiana!!:Rainning:

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

I don't fly at a club, but the local airfield that's in the public park is semi-controlled by them, You see they have a big chain-link fence across the access road to the field with a padlock on it. Now according to the AMA
                  page, it's supposed to be open at 10AM, but there have been many times I've had to put my gear in this folding wagon I have and trek it the mile and a half to the field.

Comment

Just be careful doing that, if its locked by the group flying there, you could get hemmed up on trespassing charges. Not knowing all the variables to it, all I'm saying is you might make sure all is well, I dont want to see anyone here get busted for any reason.

Comment

Good advice Rifleman! Better be safe then sorry

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                        Just be careful doing that, if its locked by the group flying there, you could get hemmed up on trespassing charges. Not knowing all the variables to it, all I'm saying is you might make sure all is well, I dont want to see anyone here get busted for any reason.
                        Not a chance. !.) In a public park. 2.)AMA, the club site, and park rules state requirements, membership isn't one of them.

Comment

Good deal, figured you were careful about all that, but you know just wanna make sure all is well my friend.

Comment

I have a few choices when i want to fly. 1. My most visited spot, a softball field at a local school it is great for the cub and might be good for a F-86. 2. A old bush plane field that is sorta uneven and has a wall of dirt on one side but is great for the opterra and the P-51 considering they have no wheels. 3. A giant grassy field by my buddy's house but I dont go down there often but it is great for all of my planes(save for the tidewater). 4. Only for the tidewater, the chatfield lake. 5. The best but not the most convenient for me the jeffco aero modelers field, give it a google.

Comment

Our club has a lot of senior members mostly into park flyers, and its very difficult for them to embrace quadcopters, fpv, all in all, anything related to the new technology. Up to a point 3D flying as well, they dont like it at all...

The fpv guys follow the AMA guidelines of a safety approved spotter, but still they are kept outside the "union" circle.

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post
                                Our club has a lot of senior members mostly into park flyers, and its very difficult for them to embrace quadcopters, fpv, all in all, anything related to the new technology. Up to a point 3D flying as well, they dont like it at all...

The fpv guys follow the AMA guidelines of a safety approved spotter, but still they are kept outside the "union" circle.
                                In a way that's why I don't join the local club. You see, I work nights, and my days off are midweek, so I couldn't participate in "mandatory events". I just want to go during my VERY LIMITED free time and "zoom and boom, yank and crank".

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

In a way that's why I don't join the local club. You see, I work nights, and my days off are midweek, so I couldn't participate in "mandatory events". I just want to go during my VERY LIMITED free time and "zoom and boom, yank and crank".
                                  One of the reasons I like my club. The field is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They have club events, but they're open if you want to come, and no one seems to think any less of someone if they don't make the events. I've been out there when there are a lot of other club members present, and I've been out there when it's just me. It's sometimes nice to hang out with other RC pilots, watch them fly their planes, chat about various models, etc. It's also sometimes nice to just put the planes up without feeling the need to be sociable, or having an audience.

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post

That's what's cool about my group, I do some fpv, however most of mine is at my house over my own land so no one can say anything to me. I also use the 400ft ceiling as close as i can, just for the sake of staying in the legal guidelines.

Comment

400' is a lot higher than it sounds. I had the Spark up just over 300' for the Mormon Temple video, and at that height, it's difficult to see. I'm not sure how high I've flown any of my planes, but I don't think it's been even 200' AGL. Without any of the data feedback like I get from the drone, I'm fine with keeping them lower and erring on the side of caution.

Comment

I agree, with my race wings I do the same, but the 89" wing it's pretty visible still at 400' plus I do have the data readout on my goggles so I am sure I'm atleast close to the limit and try not to exceed it, at least as little as possible.. sometime though you're just flying along looking around and all the stuff I need to pay attention to slips by. Oops lol

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                          I agree, with my race wings I do the same, but the 89" wing it's pretty visible still at 400' plus I do have the data readout on my goggles so I am sure I'm atleast close to the limit and try not to exceed it, at least as little as possible.. sometime though you're just flying along looking around and all the stuff I need to pay attention to slips by. Oops lol
                                          I'm kind of like Dusty Crophopper, I usually keep low because of the "corridor" I have to fly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X