X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridge Runner P51 Mustang 1400mm. My flag ship

Modified Ridge Runner version 7 with all the V8 upgrades. Very fast and nimble. Draws a crowd every time. High speed, low fly by's a must. Upgraded power system, as well as custom design. All trim hand painted offering great orientation at altitude.  :D I also have the following in my Hanger, Pics below.
    Attached Files
    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Re: FMS P51 Mustang. The flag ship of my fleet.

It's always nice to see a customized paint job, good work! What performance upgrades did you install?

Comment

Power train up grade I kept simple. Just a 80 amp ESC that will endure a 5 cell. Zip tie wedges behind the prop blades for more pitch. Much faster than stock for sure. The stock FMS Motor runs hot though when ringing it out the whole time. So I save it for when its time to show off a High speed full on power dive, low altitude fly by down the runway. It really whistles when this happens. I dont make it a habbit of running the 5 cell either. The motor really dont like it over all. So I keep mostly to the 4 cell batt. Still plenty of power with just the 4 cell and prop pitch wedge. Would love to up grade the motor some day. Finding the right match is hard for I love the 4 blade prop look.

Comment

Nice paint job! all your lacking now is the MRRCSound unit and it will knock it right out of the ballpark into the next state!! excellent work be proud of this plane.

Comment

Yea I thought of the sound system. One of my friends has one in his. They are really cool for sure. But I'm holding off for now.

Comment

A beautiful plane Fly Boy!!! Mustang's are the best.
            Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

RE: FMS P51 Mustang. The flag ship of my fleet.

I agree, you can never have enough Mustangs!!
              Just added Shangrila to my collection

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Just a quick question.  My P51B likes to angle off to the left while taxiing, I'm not quite sure what the proper method would be to straighten to taill wheel.  Do I have to pull it out of the plane?

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

I found 3 ways to deal with this. Mine had the same issue. The first thing I did was pull the assembly out of the tray. I found a set screw in the side of the tail wheel mount. I loosened the set screw, straightend the wheel, tighten set screw. This only helped not cured. The final cure after above mentioned is, disconnect clevis to rudder. Taxi and trim rear wheel until drives straight. Adjust clevis accordingly and reatach to rudder. If trimming is needed on the rudder in the air, land and readjust clevis until no trimming of the rudder needed while flying. This will keep your tail wheel straight. The pit fall? Turns really good one direction while on the ground, Not so good the other direction, But it taxis straight!  :rolleyes: PS Remove tail wheel rod from retract. Use dremil and make a new flat spot on rod where set screw meets it. This is harder to do but will work, and keep your turning radius good both directions. I should have thought of this the first time. But it was to late.

Comment

Well I finally had to replace my retracts in my Ridge Runner P51. All of them! I flat wore them out. I had the V8 struts installed, but V7 stock retracts with 3 second delay. So I installed the latest and greatest set up with the 6 second delay even with all new shock struts and tires. Whew Wee they look nice, and work very well. The action is good and smooth and the newest version of the shock struts were already painted. Even the retractable tail gear has been upgraded with an all metal trenion as an unexpected bonus. My old one was plastic and the gear inside had been stripped for months.
                    With DAVE BROWN tires and the shock absorbing struts, I expect even a longer life span out this sweet up grade.
                    Thanks Motion RC, You guys Rock!!!!!!!  :cool:

Comment

Have you thought about doing the 580Kv motor upgrade?
                      This one...

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-4250-kv580-motor/
                      Flight Risk (Sean)
                      AMA # 986105

Comment

Yes I have. On my wish list with the Mantis 85 amp ESC. My buddies and I like to goof around at the field practicing combat maneuvers, and play tag so to speak. We do this with all the same size war birds to try and keep it even in air frame size. My one friend has the FMS 1400mm Zero with the 580 motor and its a tick better all around. The 580 motor comes factory on the Zero. 

Comment

RE: Ridge Runner P51 Mustang 1400mm. My flag ship

Originally posted by STOOPIDMONKEY
                          Have you thought about doing the 580Kv motor upgrade?
                          This one...

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-4250-kv580-motor/
                          I upgraded all my P51(3) with this motor.  What a difference this makes with prop modifications as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FLY BOY
                            Well I finally had to replace my retracts in my Ridge Runner P51. All of them! I flat wore them out. I had the V8 struts installed, but V7 stock retracts with 3 second delay. So I installed the latest and greatest set up with the 6 second delay even with all new shock struts and tires. Whew Wee they look nice, and work very well. The action is good and smooth and the newest version of the shock struts were already painted. Even the retractable tail gear has been upgraded with an all metal trenion as an unexpected bonus. My old one was plastic and the gear inside had been stripped for months.
                            With DAVE BROWN tires and the shock absorbing struts, I expect even a longer life span out this sweet up grade.
                            Thanks Motion RC, You guys Rock!!!!!!!  :cool:
                            Fly Boy.... Hey it's FlyGirl. LOL! Can you tell me what Dave Brown tires you used and why?
                            Lauren

Comment

I also found that by increasing the servo throw to 140% in my Dx 8, she turns a lot better on the ground.  Then I hit the rudder switch to position 1 and tame her back down to 100% in flight, position 2 gives me 70%, just for the fun of it

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Fly Girl,

I use Dave Brown 3" tires. There a direct replacement fit for the P51 tires, a spacer will be required as well. I just used a prop centering rings that were unused when I bought a bunch of apc props for my other planes.  Dave Brown tires are a shock absorbing tire. Together with the shock absorbing struts, expect LONGER LIFE from your struts and RETRACTS! They also are much quieter during taxi. One day I hit the runway so hard,  the plane bounced like a basket ball. After the hard landing, to my amazement I taxied it back to me. Took it to the bench for inspection and found NO DAMAGE! I bounced it like that with the factory tires once. I did say ONCE. LOL! :D

Comment

Hey Fly Girl,

I use Dave Brown 3" tires. There a direct replacement fit for the P51 tires, a spacer will be required as well. I just used a prop centering rings that were unused when I bought a bunch of apc props for my other planes.  Dave Brown tires are a shock absorbing tire. Together with the shock absorbing struts, expect LONGER LIFE from your struts and RETRACTS! They also are much quieter during taxi. One day I hit the runway so hard,  the plane bounced like a basket ball. After the hard landing, to my amazement I taxied it back to me. Took it to the bench for inspection and found NO DAMAGE! I bounced it like that with the factory tires once. I did say ONCE. LOL! :D
                                  Ooooooooo! I need those then! The fields we fly off of have all been dug up by football and soccer cleats. The last time I flew I hit a clump on landing and shattered the retract. And I have a ton of those spacers sitting around as well so, THANK YOU! I'll go order those wheels...
                                  Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
                                    Hey Fly Girl,

Ooooooooo! I need those then! The fields we fly off of have all been dug up by football and soccer cleats. The last time I flew I hit a clump on landing and shattered the retract. And I have a ton of those spacers sitting around as well so, THANK YOU! I'll go order those wheels...
                                    Your very welcome Flygirl   ;)   DAVE BROWN tires are the preferred tire for grass runways, They roll over the grass and stuff much better than a hard tire for sure, ENJOY! :cool:  

Comment

Got 'em on order! Should be here next week!
                                      Lauren

Comment

Well I hear I go again. Got another up grade for my Ridge Runner custom built P51 Mustang. The up dated retracts have been excellent I will need to say. So now that part of my plane is solid once more, Time for the motor and ESC up grade. Got the FMS KV580 motor on the way, and a Mantis 85 amp speed controller to. Cant wait to get em installed. Will let you know how it all turns out.  Thinking about a sound system next. 

Comment

Working...
                                        X