X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ motor pulsing

I just bought a new HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ - after initial GPS setup the motor pulses. This is a relatively new plane and has a lot of SAFE and GPS systems - anybody have one of these and had this problem? Thanks

Have done the throttle calibration? Is your throttle trim at the very bottom?

Comment

One of our club members was talking about this today. According to him (and Horizon) you have to place the plane on the runway and hold down the bind button for a number of seconds so the GPS could initialize it’s start position. This is used if you invoke the auto land feature of the airplane, it will need to know where the runway is and where to land. It sounds like a neat idea but if you don’t want to use that feature it seems like you still have to go through the GPS position initialization before take off.

Comment

Hi.... We had same issue and came to internet to find if someone else experienced and solved. In parallel found that when turning on transmitter, you need to do two things. One, have throttle disarmed (switch in upper right hand corner of transmitter by right index finger (two position toggle armed is down and disarmed and disarmed is up). Second, hold the bind button for about three seconds as dkalwishky wrote above. Once Homed, you can arm the throttle and it does not pulse.
        Ian

Comment

I have this plane as well. If you still want to fly with SAFE in all 3 modes but don’t need the GPS functions (auto land, virtual fence) you can easily turn of GPS and save time.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Littleton View Post
            I just bought a new HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ - after initial GPS setup the motor pulses. This is a relatively new plane and has a lot of SAFE and GPS systems - anybody have one of these and had this problem? Thanks
            Remove the GPS module and rebind the plane and you will love it, you'll still have safe and AS3X.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Hi, Just ordered the Carbon Cub S+ BnF and a Dx6e Transmitter. Can anyone help how to bind the receiver and transmitter. Any other tips are very welcome. I am a total beginner, therefore, will be thankful for your tips.

Comment

Just put mine together last night and noticed the motor pulsing. As with most things I do, I generally only resort to the manual as a last resort. Guess I’ll have to read it now!! Looks to be a we’ll build solid beginner with some great features. I have three kids 11, 13 and 15 who are showing interest so this seemed a good option. RTF mode 1 with the included DXe TX.

Comment

Originally posted by I_Love_My_ABC View Post
                  Just put mine together last night and noticed the motor pulsing. As with most things I do, I generally only resort to the manual as a last resort. Guess I’ll have to read it now!! Looks to be a we’ll build solid beginner with some great features. I have three kids 11, 13 and 15 who are showing interest so this seemed a good option. RTF mode 1 with the included DXe TX.
                  I recommend a serious read and re-read of the instructions. Get help from someone that knows the airplane also, especially around the kiddos!

Comment

The pulsing is because you haven't defined "home" for the plane. The GPS will be able to auto land to home once it is defined.

Definitely read the manual because the aileron and elevator movements provide configuration info as well.

Comment

It’s certainly a difficult and confusing process, at least the first few times you do it. Horizon Hobby recommends that you do a compass calibration before your first flight of the day.

This only needs to be done once, and not with the changing of each flight battery... believe me, I asked!!

You’ll then need to follow the procedure for setting the type of virtual fence you want to use. Small Circle, Large Circle or Flying Field. If you’re using the Flying Field virtual fence you need to tell the system which way the plane is facing by giving aileron input of the closest wing, then that information is saved and remembered until you change it again.

You should then be able to taxi out to your preferred take off / landing position (With the motor still pulsing) Press and hold the bind button to set the home location and the plane is ready to roll!!

Once again, you don’t have to do the first two steps every time!!

The maiden flight was amazing!! This thing flew like it was on rails in light to moderate wind. The built in AS3X system works great to smooth out the wind, and you have AS3X active on all modes regardless of the GPS settings.

A few circuits to get the hang of the plane on beginners mode were easy and stress free. I got a bit more brave and went up to intermediate mode. It still self levels but gives you a lot more control where beginners mode is quite restrictive. I was throwing it around a lot more when suddenly the plane did a complete 180 degree turn and scared the crap out of me until I remembered that I had the virtual fence activated!!

Very scary when you’re not expecting it!! The plane did it’s thing and brought itself back to me, then it wagged it’s wings to signal I was back in control again.

I tried that a few more times and discovered that it’s possibly one of the best features of the system because I have crashed several planes in the past due to losing orientation by going out too far!

Finally I thought I’d try the auto-land feature. Talk about terror!! It’s like the first time you lose RF control of a plane you’re flying. It just flies away from you, but has no ability to avoid obstacles.

There are a few tall lighting towers at the field and I had to steer away from one of them, but it came around behind me and set up for a perfect landing.

I tried that another 3 times and the setup was different each time but it landed perfectly each time within a few inches of the take off position. All of that from 1 x 1300mah flight pack. I’d estimate that I was in the air at least 12 minutes, not at full throttle, but a good number of take-offs and landings and gentle flight circuits. The battery bay will easily take a 3S 2200mah pack too, but for me the 1300’s are working perfectly. Light and economical!!

Incredible technology, and a great flying plane with the usual Horizon quality. Not cheap certainly, but you are getting a lot of really cool features in a great RTF package with literally everything you need in one box.

Great for training beginners, but I will say one thing. This plane needs a lot of open space, and be aware that there is no way the plane can avoid trees, poles or other obstacles so never try to show off and put the controller down on the ground when in auto-land (As I’ve seen some reviewers on YouTube doing!!)

You need to stay on the sticks, and I can see some pilots getting over confident and coming to grief using this auto-land feature in a smaller park with lots of trees!!
                      Last edited by I_Love_My_ABC; Jun 4, 2019, 08:42 PM. Reason: OCD kicking in... spelling and grammar!!

Comment

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, that’s the great thing about these online RC communities... always a heap of people willing to share tips and tricks about different planes and RC equipment. Your generosity is very much appreciated!!

By the way, I was only joking about not reading the manual!! This thing was damn expensive, and I wasn’t going to have it turn into a lawn dart on its maiden flight because I failed to do the required research!!

Here in Sydney Australia this RTF package costs a small fortune compared to the price that the USA guys can buy it. You get very little change from $450.00 for the RTF and $380.00 for the BNF version.

Comment

Thanks for your information. Had my new cub out on the field today and the pulse problem had everyone scratching their heads. To the manufacturers: K.I.S.S.
                          Keep It Simple Stupid.

Comment

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, that’s the great thing about these online RC communities... always a heap of people willing to share tips and tricks about different planes and RC equipment. Your generosity is very much appreciated!!

By the way, I was only joking about not reading the manual!! This thing was damn expensive, and I wasn’t going to have it turn into a lawn dart on its maiden flight because I failed to do the required research!!

Here in Sydney Australia this RTF package costs a small fortune compared to the price that the USA guys can buy it. You get very little change from $450.00 for the RTF and $380.00 for the BNF version.
                            Unplug the GPS module then re-bind and you'll have a great plane...you'll still have Safe and AS3X
                            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

anyone know the name/make model and KV for the carbon cub S+ is? cant seem to find it anywhere. is it proprietary to the S+ or generic horizon hobby motor?
                              DLG GLiders

Comment

Looking at the product page on Horizon will give some information:
                                The Carbon Cub S+ 1.3m RTF by HobbyZone is a quality built remote controlled airplane. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

The 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 960Kv by ParkZone is a quality built remote controlled airplane accessory. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

It appears to be a Parkzone motor.

Comment

yes i did find this page, im looking for motor specs, e.g weight, thrust, shaft diameter etc. nothing is out there in this regards, thanks

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Looking at the product page on Horizon will give some information:
                                  The Carbon Cub S+ 1.3m RTF by HobbyZone is a quality built remote controlled airplane. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

The 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 960Kv by ParkZone is a quality built remote controlled airplane accessory. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

It appears to be a Parkzone motor.
                                  DLG GLiders

Comment

This seems to be the way with Hobbyzone/Parkzone and Horizon products in general. You may try Google with part numbers to see if there is more info out there. I take it you are contemplating on buying this motor for some other use? You could always go to your local hobby shop and see if they have one that you can take measurements. Personally, I would get a motor from HobbyKing. They publish all that information on their motors on their product page. Cost will be significantly cheaper, too. I use HobbyKing motors in all my ARF gliders.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      This seems to be the way with Hobbyzone/Parkzone and Horizon products in general. You may try Google with part numbers to see if there is more info out there. I take it you are contemplating on buying this motor for some other use? You could always go to your local hobby shop and see if they have one that you can take measurements. Personally, I would get a motor from HobbyKing. They publish all that information on their motors on their product page. Cost will be significantly cheaper, too. I use HobbyKing motors in all my ARF gliders.
                                      It isn't the motor. It is the GPS, beginner system telling the pilot that the aircraft hasn't been initialized to home yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

It isn't the motor. It is the GPS, beginner system telling the pilot that the aircraft hasn't been initialized to home yet.
                                        Exactly, see post 14 above.
                                        TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Working...
                                        X