Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old kit - new tech!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old kit - new tech!

House of Balsa Cub - added ailerons, and other minor enhancements. Used mostly replacement parts for a PZ Cub as the model is about the same size - motor and mount, prop adapter, servos and anything else to make it plug and play...except for the reciever.
    i wanted to add some new tech as I have just returned to the hobby after 20 years and I am now flying a HZ Carbon Cub and an eFlite PT-17, both BNF's as I bought a DXe for a different airplane almost done (details on request).
    So, that said I want the new Cub to have similar characteristics of my HZ Cub, so I got an Admiral 600 DSMP to put in this build.
    Therefore the question is, who else has connected an Admiral to a DXe transmitter and were you able to use the mode switch I currently use with my other 2 models.

It's ALIVE,
    ailerons are backwards, and the rudder and elevator got switched but it lives! Streamline tube for wing struts is waiting and a hinged hatch for battery will be next. Did an engine run also and that 9x4 wood prop really pulls with plenty of rpm's. The gyro appeared to be making corrections when I moved it but none of the switches turned it off :o(
    looks like I may need to get busy with the iPad app for the TX and figure that out to program a switch. Cheaper than a new radio right now, but hey I need to get my taxes done and maybe have some mad money.

Comment

Forgot to add these from last night

Comment

Loose ends getting tied - made a hinged hatch with latch and ventilation, instead of the removable dowels called for in the plans. Control throws are in order and the tail wheel came out pretty nice. Ailerons are on hold until I get the DXe programming cable - would you believe all LHS are out. Horizon got my order this afternoon.
        I have not had to use the Spektrum ap yet, but guess it is time to exploit all the functions of this little jewel. Just can't justify a new radio yet. I have flown 6 different airplanes on this TX and only had to bind it and fly. It allowed me to add the flaps function on the Carbon Cub S+. The safe mode on the PT-17 worked perfect, and it even bound to the Admiral DSMP reciever/stabilizer - though it is only ON all the time for now in this Cub, until I can program a switch for the combo.
        so any help on using the ap would be appreciated- been watching the videos from various sources. Should be fun I think.

Comment

You need to watch all the videos for this receiver on motion RC’s site. Serveo reversing and flight mode are changed on the receiver it’self. Not with the transmitter. Dual rate and expo or set on your transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by paul45120 View Post
            You need to watch all the videos for this receiver on motion RC’s site. Serveo reversing and flight mode are changed on the receiver it’self. Not with the transmitter. Dual rate and expo or set on your transmitter.
            As I suspected that is not correct - in the video he clearly states you have to set up both the servo direction in the transmitter and correction in the reciever.
            But here is what I did discover, even though I tried your suggestion which did not work. My transmitter is capable of reversing the servos two ways - one is manually before turning it on and holding the sticks in a certain position and turning it on. I can then reverse any of the channels, turn it off and it will retain those settings. However, it retains those settings for any model it binds to - meaning I would have to change them back before flying any of my other aircraft. Could be disastrous if I don't pay close attention on my Before takeoff check...
            Now with the Spektrum application on my iPad, I can set up a model and save those settings. It will Bluetooth connect to my transmitter, I select the model and presto - ready to fly with the correct settings.
            I can change expo, etc. but I don't need to as I just fly scale and not 3D.
            The stabilizer corrections were correct when I reversed the Tx, but as far as I can tell there is no way to reverse servo direction from the reciever - only the gyro corrections.
            ​​​​​​​I ordered the cable a few days ago, but rather than wait for it, maiden flight will be tomorrow

Comment

Kinda poor quality, but she survived. I expect the next flight with the gyro ON to be very nice.

Comment

A couple of post flight close ups.

Comment

Ok, so I did not get to try the bird out with gyros on, but did find out she is drunk with power (will probably takeoff at half throttle), does not / should not have an e-prop and I should have left it in low rates..
                  oops, but all fixed now, except for the motor shaft on the way...

Anyway, it gave me a chance to experiment more with both the TX / RX program ap and stabilization modes on the Admiral RX600SP.
                  While I still have not been able to figure out how to make the Bind button activate the stabilization gyros with the Tx, I think I may be getting closer to a solution. As I did get the reciever to deactivate the stabilization on power up which it would not do unless I used the dip switches before. Would help to know what channel Admiral put it on and how to assign it to a different switch when I don't have mix capability like on DX6 or other more advanced (expensive?) TX's. So the videos don't really help me, even though the DXe has 7 channels. ( not the stripped down RTF version)
                  I did get the ap to load the model configuration and to properly reverse the servos under model set up, instead of having to do it directly to the TX and having to change them back when I fly a different airplane. Which means I should be able to now upload all the other airplane configurations for my models as they are set up now - YIPPEE! 5 of which are Spektrum reciever driven.
                  Making progress because I really do not want to turn on the gyros until I am at least 3 mistakes high, to find out how they work - certainly not takeoff with them on - untested.

Comment

I thought it was cool I got the L-4 with the Admiral RX600SP to synchronize with the app and the transmitter so I could reverse servos and get a model set up to save. The bad news was neither the Carbon Cub or the PT-17 would bind when I was ready to fly Saturday morning. So when I re-bound them all to the TX, the controls were totally scrambled and none of the AS3X / SAFE modes worked.
                    So 45 minutes later, I got Cub (minus flaps) and biplane to move flight controls properly but had none of the flight modes or stabilization and of course the winds began to puff.
                    But, I flew 4 flights with each and in 'raw data' modes. It reinforced my change in thinking that maybe - just maybe, I did not need them anymore. I was mostly using them on landing only and it seemed like sometimes I did not get an aircraft response when I made a correction due to some air disturbances. Anyway, after an hour back at home I got busy with the app and did manage to restore all of the original programming the aircraft came with.
                    on Sunday I returned to the field and flew both without the SAFE modes and my takeoffs were straighter and the landings were fine, even though we had the dreaded crosswinds from behind at around 10 knots. They were'nt perfect but while I did get a couple wing drags, that happened as they were almost stopped and I had no more throw on the stick as they weathervaned into the wind.
                    Therefore, I yanked the Admiral out after I tried to bind it because TX would not recognize it - in fact I could not even get lights to flash anymore when trying to bind. i'll mess with it later, but I already had a AR400 I originally got for this Cub. In it went. No gyro - but I did like the gyro corrections with AS3X full time, so maybe an AR636 RX later.

And, I ordered a DX6.

Comment

Had a flying club friend help me get her ready to go again. Had some of it set up in the new DX6, but was really glad to have him throw in a tish a expo, double check, basic set ups, and then take off and tweak the trims. Which, didn't need much as after 2 circles he said "...here, fly your airplane" I liked the expo and she maneuvers very well and almost looked like it had a gyro making corrections as light breezes began to come up this morning. Flew to the 6 minute mark and then landed very nicely on the runway.
                      Then evryone had to come over and check it out. Ken was nice enough to compliment the build to everyone - both flying and finish.
                      I did not use the Admiral RX600SP, but may give it another try now that the radio should bind predictably and allow me to select the combo I want. (Gyro ON / OFF)

I plan to take it up tomorrow and try out the new RunCam 2, but thought I would share these shots from this week at work.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Been getting regular flights with her and she is proving to be a real trooper, so I ordered some Callie Graphics to dress her up. While I did post this pic in another thread, notice the little Cub waiting her turn. GF was fascinated as she had watched this one built from the box of sticks, and even though she had seen the video she was so excited to see her take to the sky.

Comment

I swapped the Spektrum AR400 for the Admiral RX600SP to see if It would work and help the little Cub be a little bit more docile. I had trouble getting it to bind with my DXe but since I upgraded to a DX6, I figured it was time to give it another chance.
                            I set it up for combo C so I could turn it on/off as desired and also test it other than on take off with crossed fingers...
                            All gains are set midpoint and after considerable trimming in calm conditions, I turned it on and watched - laterally and directionally she was fine, but began some pitching, so turned it off and finished the flight with gyro off.
                            I am assuming the elevator gain needs to be dialed down some - was not large pitch changes but smaller corrections and increasing slowly in amplitude.
                            she is really light - around 24 oz AUW and usually flys smoothly at half throttle, but is really sensitive even in low rates (70%). She shows every flaw of the full size with regard to adverse yaw, torque and gyroscopic precession, slip/skid and overbanking in steeper turns. I only fly it when calm wind but had hoped to give her a bit more opportunities with some gentle breezes.
                            I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

I would back the pitch again down about 1/8 turn and see if it corrects. If it helps but doesn't completely correct then dial it back to the full 1/4 turn from 50%. That's what I would do.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                I would back the pitch again down about 1/8 turn and see if it corrects. If it helps but doesn't completely correct then dial it back to the full 1/4 turn from 50%. That's what I would do.
                                Went a strong 1/8th, but less than 1/4 turn...we have a winner! Between low rates and gyro, I got a nice scale flyer out of this little gal

Comment

Right on! Glad it worked out for ya!:Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    Right on! Glad it worked out for ya!:Cool:
                                    FTW, Sir! :Win:

Comment

Can’t believe I never posted these, but she has become a regular flyer even in some pretty stiff breezes. Was kind of like slope soaring doing figure 8’s into the wind but it was fun. The first pic I sent the most recent, getting a more scale prop hub and it really does well with the 8x4 wood prop gifted by a member who had a gaggle of wood props he did not need and thought they might fit this little gal. I don’t use the gyro much at all and fly it in high rates nearly all the time. Been getting a bit of acro attempts. Rolls like an octopus falling out of a tree and loops have to be more like flips. I lost the model in my TX list somehow and had to set it all up again. Actually I don’t even have the gyro set to a switch anymore since.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by F22trainer; Feb 11, 2019, 07:56 PM. Reason: Content did not upload

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DDAE74B1-A4FB-44DB-947A-4F2187E6CB6E.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	197549Click image for larger version

Name:	2BA4F726-D083-4576-83A4-FDDF5E9B6241.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	197548Click image for larger version

Name:	C093B0BA-6171-435F-8D5C-F03D1B482FC9.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	197547 Couldn’t wait to post these, but will get some shots tomorrow and maybe a video. Graphics arrived from Callie.

Comment

Working...
                                        X