You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have The Flex Cessna 170 and Carbon Z Cub?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting bunch of posts regarding Flex and Aura 8. I fell for the hype and bought the FlexJet this year. As the last 3 posts indicated, quality isn't what I was expecting for such an expensive plane. As Whizzer said, Flex pricing is a bit over the top by comparison to all else that's out there. As with what Ole-Timer said, I too, ditched the Aura 8 and went with standard Spektrum type Rx. I found the Programming of the Aura 8 to be too cumbersome. I won't buy any planes that require a laptop or smartphone to program anymore (the only exception being Eflite planes with pre-programmed AR636s (and only if I really like the plane). My FlexJet works even better with the way I've set it up on the Spektrum Rx. Overall, I've been somewhat disappointed in my FlexJet in terms of price, quality and user friendliness.
    A friend at the field has the Carbon Z 150. It's a great plane - simple, trouble free, easy to get flying. I think I understand why Flex has to charge so much for their planes but that's a problem they have to deal with and it's that pricing that steers my buying decisions.

Comment

I have the Carbon Z Cub. Beautiful flying plane.

It's biggest issue is its size . It is huge. the second issue is the battery access is awkward. Easily solved by adding a battery tray. There are aftermarket solutions you can buy, or if you have a 3d printer, just print one yourself. It isn't required but it does help securing the battery. The last issue is if you put the floats on, and oh yes you should, move the esc out of the nose or otherwise water proof it.

Comment

I have a Carbon Z Cub and every time I plug the battery in the receiver starts to squeal. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also I just ordered a Carbon Z Cessna 150. Happy to hear that it is a simple plane to fly and maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Odar56 View Post
          I have a Carbon Z Cub and every time I plug the battery in the receiver starts to squeal. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also I just ordered a Carbon Z Cessna 150. Happy to hear that it is a simple plane to fly and maintain.
          Receivers don't generally make any noise. Are you sure that's where it's coming from? The beeps you normally hear when you first plug in a battery to the plane is the ESC causing the motor to beep. Has it always done this or has this been lately? Perhaps after a crash or after doing something to the plane's electrics or changing something in the Tx?

Comment

Originally posted by Odar56 View Post
            Digital servos make a whining noise. Probably what you're hearing.

Comment

Thanks I'll isolate the servos and see if that's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                I only have the 170 and although it flies very well, the quality is nowhere near the asking price. Very cheaply made. Not impressed at all.
                Agreed. I have been very disappointed with the fit, finish, hardware quality, foam quality, electrical connections and attitude of the Flex Innovations customer service (or lack thereof). Once I secured the esc that was flopping around in the fuselage, replaced 90% of the cheap hardware, reglued the left flap to the hinges, resecured ALL of the pins in ALL of the servo connectors and beefed up the extremely fragile wing tips it became a fairly decent plane. The huge foam cells makes it look like a cheap beer cooler but it flies amazingly well once dialed-in. Is it worth the price? Absolutely not, but with its power/weight ratio there are few planes that have the wide flight envelope of the FI C170. With a 6s it's a 3D monster with few limits but with a 5s, or even a large 4s it flies so scale as to amaze even the most jaded pilot. If money is no object and you don't mind extensive rework on a brand new plane (and complete apathy on the part of FI), then this is the plane for you. Did I say how amazingly it floats in from a short final to a perfect three-pointer..........?

Comment

On the Flex 170, can anyone tell me what the plastic piece in the top centre of the airframe in the wing centre section is for. Mounting camera maybe? is it strong enough to support the weight of the plane if hung from the ceiling with it. there is no mention of it in the instruction manual

Comment

Originally posted by Bazza View Post
                    On the Flex 170, can anyone tell me what the plastic piece in the top centre of the airframe in the wing centre section is for. Mounting camera maybe? is it strong enough to support the weight of the plane if hung from the ceiling with it. there is no mention of it in the instruction manual
                    On Flex's website for the 170, under "features", it says something about a "glider tow", but I suppose you could do whatever you want with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X