X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYNAM ALBATROSS JUST ARRIVED

My second Dynam airplane arrived yesterday. I am really impressed with the fit and finish of this aircraft. I am not sure yet, where to install my RX though. I need it somewhere that will afford easy access for possible adjustment, as I use the Lemon rx with stabilization. That eliminates the lower wing, which would have to be removed for rx access. I am thinking of putting it on top, behind the engine. If I can do some engine surgery that would be good. I may explore mounting the engine with magnets rather than gluing it down. The paint is much improved over the T-28 Trojan. I noticed no overspray of any of the colors. The only thing is......they don't mark the hardware bags so you play a guessing game as to which screw to use for which application. Not the end of the world I know. I love the two props and also the color of the props. The horizontal stab was not attached but it was an easy fix with/three little dabs of glue. I will apply my decals and then paint it with my water base sealer. I will edit this post as I progress with the build. EDIT: 04/08/18 There really was no ideal place to install my Rx. I finally decided on the top of the fuselage between the guns. I put some velcro between the guns so that I could remove the Rx if needed for gyro adjustment. I attached magnets to the guns so they can be removed for easier access to the Rx. This is still not ideal but it is the best that I could come up with. I am afraid the magnets may not be strong enough. I will probably have to come up with some other solution for them. I don't want to lose my guns in the prop wash. This was a first. I went to balance the props, and both were perfectly balanced. My first intent was to leave the pilot out. He is not scale and I thought a bit silly. Then someone mentioned that he looked like Stan Laurel and I had to laugh. He does bare a striking resemblance to Mr. Laurel. I proudly glued him into his cockpit. I even added a small scarf for ol' Stanley.
    Attached Files

Of all the planes in my fleet this is the one I most enjoy seeing in the air - very regal. On the ground or in the sky it never fails to attract a crowd.
    UMX: B-17, PT-17, P-47, A-10, Habu. E-Flite: Sportsman, Timber, Spitfire, P-47. Flyzone f-86 64 mm, Dynam Albatros, Flyzone Zero Select, Freewing B-17, Hobby Zone F4-U Corsair

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      Of all the planes in my fleet this is the one I most enjoy seeing in the air - very regal. On the ground or in the sky it never fails to attract a crowd.
      I have to agree. It is a beautiful bird. The Dynam airplanes are getting progressively better and better. The instructions are basically rubbish but a semi experienced modeler will have no trouble. Due to the weather here I have not been able to fly for a few months. I have not flown either of my Dynam planes yet. Both have been winter projects. I have stabilization in both so I don't expect any major problems. Peace

Comment

I highly recommend aileron differential for the Albatross. Without differential I had to push the rudder twice as far over as the ailerons to prevent adverse yaw. I'm now flying it with 2X as much upward deflection as downward.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Billy Boy,

Good luck on your Albatros build and as others have stated, I agree it’s a great plane. Very strong and perfect for customizing. I abhorred the Dynam flat yellow, thankfully it is a great base for stain & minwax treatment to simulate wood grain. Ditto the orange/yellow prop. The grey plastic used for the struts is worth painting as well.

As for RX placement, there is a small shelf with just enough room behind the battery. My Spektrum RX is glued there. I use a bind plug extension to allow Gyro adjustments with Spectrum’s RX Phone App Cable since it’s pretty much inaccessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Area81Racing View Post
            Billy Boy,

Good luck on your Albatros build and as others have stated, I agree it’s a great plane. Very strong and perfect for customizing. I abhorred the Dynam flat yellow, thankfully it is a great base for stain & minwax treatment to simulate wood grain. Ditto the orange/yellow prop. The grey plastic used for the struts is worth painting as well.

As for RX placement, there is a small shelf with just enough room behind the battery. My Spektrum RX is glued there. I use a bind plug extension to allow Gyro adjustments with Spectrum’s RX Phone App Cable since it’s pretty much inaccessible.
            Thanks for the advice and the photos. Great job on the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
              I highly recommend aileron differential for the Albatross. Without differential I had to push the rudder twice as far over as the ailerons to prevent adverse yaw. I'm now flying it with 2X as much upward deflection as downward.
              Thanks for the heads up. Fore warned is fore armed.

Comment

Originally posted by Area81Racing View Post
                Billy Boy,

Could you give me some info on the mat you are using (middle pic) for your runway. Cost? Where available? What is it made of?

Comment

His mat is a bit narrow for most people to use as a runway...

Just about any old carpet will work. Put it on the ground upside down.
                  For planes like the Albatross I would recommend 10 ft X 30 ft minimum if you want a good chance of putting the plane down on the runway and not rolling off the end.
                  This makes it more trouble than its worth if you have to roll it up before you leave (and even worse if you have to haul it to and from the field each trip)

When I flew Control Line, the local club had the entire "pits" area covered in old carped staked to the ground so we didn't have to kneel in sand burs.
                  An appx 7 ft X 20 ft (cut in a curve for 60 ft lines) was placed according to wind for the engine starting and takeoff zone. This was rolled up and just left beside the fence under the shelter. Its not too bad to deal with a piece that size when you don't have to haul it to and from the site every time.

Comment

GENTS,

It’s standard roofing tar paper available at any home center for about (Home Depot or Lowes here in the US) $16.00.

The 144’’ foot long roll lasts me over a year, as I cut off lengths as needed. Eliminates nose-overs on takeoff and it is very light & compact when rolled up. Fhhuber is correct, it is a bit narrow for landing larger planes, so I only use it on landing for UMX’s. It’s a great challenge!

Comment

Good thinking. My club uses geotex fabric, an underlay for private/small roads before the gravel is laid. Ours is two wide, I think they are 10 or 12 feet so our runway is 20-24’ wide. No gravel of course. It is held down by Square U pins. I would guess we are about 75 feet long?

as a newb I often make a go around for missing or over shooting even as big as it is. A lot of my practice is flying approaches.

Comment

75' x 20' isn't exactly a "runway"... more like a "landing strip"! I'm sure you get lots of good practice for carrier landings!

Are the "square U pins" sufficient over time? I've seen them pull up at certain fields. Usually the geotex stuff lasts long, but it can be susceptible to puddling depending on how it was installed.
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I see some of the pins get pulled loose. I am a new member there but I think the consensus is to lengthen and redo the existing part. There are a few ripples in the one section. I might be off on my length estimate of 75’. Might be 100’ and that might make sense if the fabric comes in 100’ rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                            75' x 20' isn't exactly a "runway"... more like a "landing strip"! I'm sure you get lots of good practice for carrier landings!

Are the "square U pins" sufficient over time? I've seen them pull up at certain fields. Usually the geotex stuff lasts long, but it can be susceptible to puddling depending on how it was installed.

Ha, along with my depth perception my range and distance is going. I was told last night at our training night the field is about 85’ by 30’. There is grass well manicured on either end an along both long sides to land in the grass.

Comment

We're kind of spoiled with 300' X 50' paved.

Comment

Time to revive an old thread.. Does anyone know if this plane is discontinued? I thought I read somewhere that is was. Bitgo has them listed as out of stock. General Hobby has them in stock for $178 USD but I don't trust GH as far as I can throw them and Ebay has them anywhere from $350 to $500...yikes!! I'll pass on that price

Comment

I got one from General last month, with no glitches. If it’s actually in stock I’m guessing the transaction is straightforward. The complaints I’ve seen seem centered around something advertised but not available. Use a credit card or PayPal and it isn’t too risky.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5351E97C-3E8A-414F-9F66-BC692B21BEB6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	249.7 KB ID:	296932

Attached Files
                                  Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

I got one from General last month, with no glitches. If it’s actually in stock I’m guessing the transaction is straightforward. The complaints I’ve seen seem centered around something advertised but not available. Use a credit card or PayPal and it isn’t too risky.

Click image for larger version Name:	5351E97C-3E8A-414F-9F66-BC692B21BEB6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	249.7 KB ID:	296932

Thanks SoCalBobS
                                    They still say in stock at General Hobby. Rang it up to see what the shipping cost will be and it's $53 through USPS...no can do with the postal service still behind on their Christmas orders this would take another month to ship cross country..lol. I guess I'll wait to see if Bitgo gets them back in stock.

BTW..Your plane looks Spiffy !!

Comment

Interesting about shipping. I’m about 100 miles from GH, so it was something like $26. Thanks for the compliment..
                                      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                        Interesting about shipping. I’m about 100 miles from GH, so it was something like $26. Thanks for the compliment..
                                        You're welcome!
                                        The only option was the US Postal Service. If it was UPS or FedEx I wouldn't have as much a problem paying it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X