X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

I agree. However, for me. I have always done built up nitro/gas balsa planes. Only in the last year have I finally reached a point to step into electrics and foamies. Both have their advantages and disadvantages I guess.

Those are some REALLY nice planes Mike! What kit is that TBF?

SkyShark. Unfortunately they have closed their doors. I did see one for sale on RCG but it was snapped up quick.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

That is a very nice kit. I always wondered why Top Flite never produced this one.

EAA# 1366802
      AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

That is a very nice kit. I always wondered why Top Flite never produced this one.
        I have no clue but it's a complex design. Installation of the servos and so on is really challenging, unlike the Top Flite stuff. The Avenger is just not main stream enough I guess. To me it's a classic and well worth the effoert. I'd love to do the Kellogg Avenger but my pockets aren't that deep.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

I have no clue but it's a complex design. Installation of the servos and so on is really challenging, unlike the Top Flite stuff. The Avenger is just not main stream enough I guess. To me it's a classic and well worth the effoert. I'd love to do the Kellogg Avenger but my pockets aren't that deep.

Mike

Do you still have the plans for this plane?

EAA# 1366802
          AMA# 631508

Comment

Do you still have the plans for this plane?

Pretty sure I do.

Mike

Comment

Would you be interested in selling me a copy? Is there enough on the plans to scratch build from possibly?

EAA# 1366802
              AMA# 631508

Comment

Would you be interested in selling me a copy? Is there enough on the plans to scratch build from possibly?
                Let me look at them as I recall there's little to go on for a scratch build. I'll get back with ya.

Mike

Comment

Let me look at them as I recall there's little to go on for a scratch build. I'll get back with ya.

Mike
                  Thanks, much appreciated.

EAA# 1366802
                  AMA# 631508

Comment

I wondered if it was a growing trend, or simply the fact that as I'm now I'm able to get back into balsa and wet power systems I'm just thinking about it more and also more aware of others doing the same? That said, we could well be entering a kind of renaissance era, which I'm all for!

Beautiful craftsmanship on the A-10 Dirty Dee, very much an accomplishment to be proud of.

MikeT, very nice looking birds, is the Avenger from the Skyshark kit? and what power system do you have in mind for the SE5A?

I ran the 2nd hand OS Gemini 160 I intend to use in my BUSA Fokker D8 today, needs some work but looks promising.

S.

Attached Files

Comment

Sorry MikeT, I see from you posts above (that I somehow missed) that it is a Skyshark kit. Out of all their kits, this was the one I wanted. Interesting points about the build. But how does she fly?

S.

Comment

Skyshark Avenger. It's almost ready to fly. I have a few minor things to attend to for it to be finished..

For the SE5 I'm going with a DLE 30

Mike

Comment

I looked the plans over there's no rib or former templates. Very little info on the plans. A scratch build from them would be impossible IMO.

Mike

Comment

Depends how good you are at drafting, but if there are 3 views and full side view of fuselage and plan view of the wing, the formers and ribs could be extrapolated using old fashioned engineering graphic (mechanical drafting) techniques that most have forgotten with the proliferation of computer CAD.
                            You can come reasonably close from several photos from different angles.

Photogrammetry could 3D model it then slice to get the formers and ribs.

Getting it done either way professionally would be prohibitive. But doing it yourself is amazingly simple once you learn how.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I looked the plans over there's no rib or former templates. Very little info on the plans. A scratch build from them would be impossible IMO.

Mike
                              Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

EAA# 1366802
                              AMA# 631508

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                Depends how good you are at drafting, but if there are 3 views and full side view of fuselage and plan view of the wing, the formers and ribs could be extrapolated using old fashioned engineering graphic (mechanical drafting) techniques that most have forgotten with the proliferation of computer CAD.
                                You can come reasonably close from several photos from different angles.

Photogrammetry could 3D model it then slice to get the formers and ribs.

Getting it done either way professionally would be prohibitive. But doing it yourself is amazingly simple once you learn how.
                                I've been an AutoCAD Draftsman for many many years and still do that today. Over the years I've done quite a few plans for different people. This TBF just might have to be my next design for sure. Thanks,

EAA# 1366802
                                AMA# 631508

Comment

I've been an AutoCAD Draftsman for many many years and still do that today. Over the years I've done quite a few plans for different people. This TBF just might have to be my next design for sure. Thanks,
                                  There's a market out there. Small but a market.

Mike

Comment

Here's what you would have to work with.

Mike

Comment

Mike
                                      Definitely do-able! Adobe Illustrator is my go to weapon there.

Comment

Mike
                                        What would it cost to get a copy of those plans?

EAA# 1366802
                                        AMA# 631508

Comment

What would it cost to get a copy of those plans?
                                          No clue I'll have to check around when I have the time.Any suggestions?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                          X