You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yur not going to believe this, Can you say Brewster Buffalo.......

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am actual glad to see something different like the Buffalo. I was going to recommend this to friend because I knew he might like the yellow and silver paint but the no gear and size would be a deal breaker for him.
    This is almost the same thing as the Parkzone F4F Wildcat. They are both great little airplanes but I need gear on my airplanes. Even if it would had come with an optional removable fixed gear I might have considered one.
    My only concern with Durafly is spare part support that might not always be in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post

I agree that the Finnish scheme would be the most unique for this one. I do like flying something different so I usually try to convert to a RCAF livery where possible. I would consider getting this model and repainting in this scheme but I fly at a park and I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the hassle of explaining the difference between the good Finnish markings and the bad German ones!! Maple leafs don't cause me the same concern! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	BB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	180588
      Yeeaaa, their markings can be a problem for sure. I usually just sub the German crosses for them. To be honest, the planes look better with them, but I don't put them on my planes. I'm not being judgmental of anyone's preferences here. Just voicing a personal preference for my self. I'll probably pick one of these up when they go on sale if they make it.

I like that paint job though, might just have to paint mine like that. Might fit it for a small pair of retracts too. Yes, it's small, but it's probably the only Buffalo we're ever going to see, ever.

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
        I am actual glad to see something different like the Buffalo. I was going to recommend this to friend because I knew he might like the yellow and silver paint but the no gear and size would be a deal breaker for him.
        This is almost the same thing as the Parkzone F4F Wildcat. They are both great little airplanes but I need gear on my airplanes. Even if it would had come with an optional removable fixed gear I might have considered one.
        My only concern with Durafly is spare part support that might not always be in stock.
        Hey Evo, it can't possibly be any worse than the parts for that Wildcat from Parkzone. I waited 3 months to get a prop, almost 5 to get some replacement cowlings. The Parkzone flys great, just awfully fragile. I'm certain the Durafly is much better and stronger built.

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Evoman View Post
          Regarding the lack of landing gear: I think it depends on where you fly. I have a grass field available plus several grassy parks. If I still lived in west TX where it was sand or pavement to fly from, I wouln't have a model like the Buff, or the PZ F4F which I already own. Out there a model needs LG and you'd better land it on the pavement! So, the Buff is on it's way to me.

CR

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Hey Evo, it can't possibly be any worse than the parts for that Wildcat from Parkzone. I waited 3 months to get a prop, almost 5 to get some replacement cowlings. The Parkzone flys great, just awfully fragile. I'm certain the Durafly is much better and stronger built.

Woody
            Hay Woody,

Ya want a cowl? I have two spares. Haven't damaged the original yet. Soon as I send you one I'll crack the original, I'm sure!

CR

Comment

Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post

I agree that the Finnish scheme would be the most unique for this one. I do like flying something different so I usually try to convert to a RCAF livery where possible. I would consider getting this model and repainting in this scheme but I fly at a park and I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the hassle of explaining the difference between the good Finnish markings and the bad German ones!! Maple leafs don't cause me the same concern! lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	180588
              I do like the looks of that paint scheme...

Comment

Originally posted by Charley38 View Post

Hay Woody,

Ya want a cowl? I have two spares. Haven't damaged the original yet. Soon as I send you one I'll crack the original, I'm sure!

CR
                I also have several large grassy parks where I fly too. Really is my favorite place to fly. Sometimes I'll fly at the clubs on week days. In the San Diego area most clubs are super busy on the weekends. I go there on week ends to visit, and watch. Higher than average amount of 5 figure models. Unfortunately at the nice parks I'm always in competition with the local soccer leagues.

I have the PZ cowls now, I just had to wait forever to get them. Horizon would never get enough of them, they would get them in, 45 min later gone. I screwed up when I first took the PZ out, tried to make a trim adjustment in a turn, and rolled it into the ground. Didn't hurt anything but the prop & cowl.

Can't wait to here about how the Buffalo looks.

Woody

Comment

I think it'll be interesting to see how well it comes out. Also if they can produce part support as well. That in itself will be a plus if they can support the model after sale.

Comment

I'm not sure why the Finnish scheme would be any more problematic than any of the WWII German planes. I don't think anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together would think that someone flying a model of a historic German plane would be doing so to endorse the policies or practices of the Nazi regime, any more than we would think someone flying a model of a Soviet era Russian aircraft was endorsing that system.

I think we can all admire historic aircraft, apart from the politics of the Governments that built them.

I'd say, if you like the looks of the Finnish paint scheme, get the decals from Callie, and go for it. If you're really concerned that someone might think it's a Nazi aircraft, print out a photo or Wiki article on the Finnish Buffalos, to show and educate people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                      I'm not sure why the Finnish scheme would be any more problematic than any of the WWII German planes. I don't think anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together would think that someone flying a model of a historic German plane would be doing so to endorse the policies or practices of the Nazi regime, any more than we would think someone flying a model of a Soviet era Russian aircraft was endorsing that system.

I think we can all admire historic aircraft, apart from the politics of the Governments that built them.

I'd say, if you like the looks of the Finnish paint scheme, get the decals from Callie, and go for it. If you're really concerned that someone might think it's a Nazi aircraft, print out a photo or Wiki article on the Finnish Buffalos, to show and educate people.
                      Exactly! And i bet more than a few of the German pilots flying the plane really didn't give a darn about the politics as well, they were there serving their country. Just like i was in Iraq in 09, i didnt vote for Obama in 08, as i was in Germany and those ballots were never counted anyway. Point is, it isn't the government we served, it was the country, and the people.

Comment

I have been looking forward to this one since I saw the teasers about it several months ago. I mostly fly from a grass field, and love the simplicity of hand launched, belly lander planes. I have the PZ Wildcat and love it, one of my favorites, and recently ordered the new FL P-51D, which I just finished painting and is ready to fly. I am ordering this new Buffalo too, just to add to my weekender fun fly fleet.

I also have several larger, full house planes with retracts, flaps, lights, etc, and enjoy those as well, but something about an inexpensive, "toss and boss" plane is just fun. No big worries about the "what if" since I don't have a lot invested. I am really looking forward to more of this style plane coming out in all brands, including Flightline in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

I think it would be more problematic because the German planes only have the swastika on the vertical stabilizer while this shows them larger on each side of the fuselage as well as on the top and bottom of the wings. It would draw more attention to it. I'm not sure that the average park goer would be that receptive to getting a history lesson. I do fly WW2 German planes with the correct markings and so far it hasn't been a problem but they are not as noticeable in the air. I do bring along other "allied" planes to show I'm there to enjoy flying historical planes - not just ones with swastikas! Italian and Japanese markings and Soviet markings don't have the same negative connotations attached to them. Unfortunately, I think it would cause me more aggravation than the benefit would bring.

Comment

If they get offended there is no lesson you will be able to teach them they will respond to.
                            Sometimes ignorant is just ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
                              If they get offended there is no lesson you will be able to teach them they will respond to.
                              Sometimes ignorant is just ignorant.
                              OMG!!! I'M OFFENDED!!! DON'T TRY TO CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS!!!

Comment

I do kinda feel like for this plane, less is more. Its not a hotrod, so the advantage of being built light and cheap is a plus. I believe it will do well. I do have fun with those smaller planes where landing gear isnt an option because its out in middle of my pasture

Comment

Working...
                                X