Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avios Grumman Albatross!

NEW Avios Grumman Albatross!

Is this the infamous HK Albatross that was leaked a few months ago ? Very nice it is too.

Comment

Originally posted by killickb View Post
      Is this the infamous HK Albatross that was leaked a few months ago ? Very nice it is too.
      Its the only one I know of, it should be available soon!

Comment

"Video is unavailable".

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVH View Post

Its the only one I know of, it should be available soon!
          The last thing I read was that it was "very soon". "Soon", by HobbyKing standards can mean months and months. I'd like to know the translation for "very soon". :)
          All the hype and that ridiculous lottery for the C-130 turned me right off of it. However, this one, the hype hasn't been too bad and the HK rep hasn't acted inappropriately on public forums, so if that continues, it'll be the first HK plane I've purchased in a "very long time" and I'll translate that to mean well over a year. ;)

Comment

I'm thinking this could be any week now. I think HK learned a thing or two from over hyping the C-130. They have been laying low on this Albatross thing.

I could speculate just a bit here though. Possibly a new 90mm EDF coming after the Albatross. Don't know anything else, except it's suppose to be very cool. Unfortunately coolness is something that is very subjective, so you should probably take this comment with a grain of salt. But judging from HK's coolness factor of late, I'm guardedly optimistic.

Best Regards
            Woody

Comment

Sorry, vid was just a teaser, more will be shown very soon!

Comment

Looks like that video went up a bit quicker than HK wanted it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                  I'm thinking this could be any week now. I think HK learned a thing or two from over hyping the C-130. They have been laying low on this Albatross thing.

I could speculate just a bit here though. Possibly a new 90mm EDF coming after the Albatross. Don't know anything else, except it's suppose to be very cool. Unfortunately coolness is something that is very subjective, so you should probably take this comment with a grain of salt. But judging from HK's coolness factor of late, I'm guardedly optimistic.

Best Regards
                  Woody
                  Woody, that C-130 thing was a fiasco - over hyped, under produced, too many reports of inadequacies, BAD rep behavior. We also saw an abundance of HobbyKing FANBOIS, who jump into the scene to defend a product they have never seen or have any experience with. At least, with the Albatross, the fanbois have also kept their mouths shut (they can just as easily destroy a product and shine a bad light on the company that produces it). After the initial shipment of product that was "won" by entrants to the lottery, there was no stock for a significant amount of time. Then, when they were back in stock, that lasted a couple of hours. It's been OUT OF STOCK ever since. One word for it ..................... WEIRD!
                  At least with the Albatross, the hype is reasonable, not filled with gimmicks and tricks and the rep has smartened up and kept his mouth (or typing fingers) shut and not reacted to the usual consumer negativity. We still won't know about stock when it does come on the market nor do be know about general product quality. The few review items out there now may not be a good sampling of what the rest of the production run will be like. I'm sure that HK checks these pre-release samples very carefully to make sure nothing bad shows up in the very critical "professional" reviews. Nevertheless, I'll be in line for this one. Even if it turns out to be "adequate" quality, I'm willing to deal with problems as they show themselves. I fly a lot in winter and water planes are my main flying for that season. I wasn't willing to take the risk with the C-130 mostly due to the flight videos published by owners and the fact that if something was a factory defect, it happened in fours.

Comment

Yea, C-130 Was problems for sure. Still I and many others are very geatfull they made one.

it would appear that even with all the associated problems it's still the most popular RC model in the world today.

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      Woody, that C-130 thing was a fiasco - over hyped, under produced, too many reports of inadequacies, BAD rep behavior. We also saw an abundance of HobbyKing FANBOIS, who jump into the scene to defend a product they have never seen or have any experience with. At least, with the Albatross, the fanbois have also kept their mouths shut (they can just as easily destroy a product and shine a bad light on the company that produces it). After the initial shipment of product that was "won" by entrants to the lottery, there was no stock for a significant amount of time. Then, when they were back in stock, that lasted a couple of hours. It's been OUT OF STOCK ever since. One word for it ..................... WEIRD!
                      At least with the Albatross, the hype is reasonable, not filled with gimmicks and tricks and the rep has smartened up and kept his mouth (or typing fingers) shut and not reacted to the usual consumer negativity. We still won't know about stock when it does come on the market nor do be know about general product quality. The few review items out there now may not be a good sampling of what the rest of the production run will be like. I'm sure that HK checks these pre-release samples very carefully to make sure nothing bad shows up in the very critical "professional" reviews. Nevertheless, I'll be in line for this one. Even if it turns out to be "adequate" quality, I'm willing to deal with problems as they show themselves. I fly a lot in winter and water planes are my main flying for that season. I wasn't willing to take the risk with the C-130 mostly due to the flight videos published by owners and the fact that if something was a factory defect, it happened in fours.
                      Keep in mind, the main HK rep that was quick to fire back at people on forums (whether that's good or bad is another subject) is no longer with HK.

Comment

Shes back!

THE Albatross!

Available at HobbyKing! https://goo.gl/aM6roP

Comment

Shes back!

THE Albatross!

Available at HobbyKing! https://goo.gl/aM6roP

Ordered mine within the first hour after it showed up on the site. Unlike the C-130, this one was a sure thing since I also fly in winter off ice and snow. (Plus, the HobbyKing rep didn't say anything stupid on the forum and no dumb gimmicks like that ignorant lottery.) It's not likely this thing will ever see water. It'll make a nice companion to my CL-415 Canadair water bomber.
                          Be it known that the Global WH was "out of stock" very quickly, not that it was a preferred option for me in Canada. They did not offer free shipping from there to here and the total price added up to about the same as from the USA WH, with the free shipping. At least from Oregon, the box gets thrown around a little less than had they sent it by post from Hong Kong. FedEx only drop kicks it into their trucks, while the postal service kicks it across the sorting plant floor.

Comment

Yea, C-130 Was problems for sure. Still I and many others are very geatfull they made one.

it would appear that even with all the associated problems it's still the most popular RC model in the world today.

Woody
                            I love the C-130 and have wished somebody made one for many, many years. Unfortunately, the HobbyKing version just didn't cut it for me as a flying model. Had I only wanted it as a static model, sure. But it's way too expensive as a static model.
                            As it turns out, the recent "consumer" videos show the Albatross flies pretty nicely, even though the first parts of the flights looked a bit on the "roller coaster" side, but I attribute this to the flyers not using enough expo or an incorrect CG was used. Of course, maiden flights can tend to look like that but in contrast, even the later videos of the C-130 looked similar to the company preview vids - hurky jerky.

Comment

I love the C-130 and have wished somebody made one for many, many years. Unfortunately, the HobbyKing version just didn't cut it for me as a flying model. Had I only wanted it as a static model, sure. But it's way too expensive as a static model.
                              As it turns out, the recent "consumer" videos show the Albatross flies pretty nicely, even though the first parts of the flights looked a bit on the "roller coaster" side, but I attribute this to the flyers not using enough expo or an incorrect CG was used. Of course, maiden flights can tend to look like that but in contrast, even the later videos of the C-130 looked similar to the company preview vids - hurky jerky.
                              Robert P. loved the C-130! Believe it or not Viper he's a reviewer a lot of people really trust. I know I do. Check out his review.

JUST ORDERED MY ALBATROSS!!! Been a good week for me, (Pretty Amazing Actually) Found out I have a Blue Angeles F-18 coming to match my Albert, and I got to order my Albatross. That's 2 of 2. All Good!! I'm going to attempt to paint my Albatross up to look just like the, "Expendables" Albatross. Can't wait actually.

Best Regards
                              Woody

Comment

that would be really cool, Woody!

xviper, whos flights looked like a roller coaster?

Comment

FYI Global Stock is sold completely out. Stock only left in the US. Wondering how long it's gonna last. LOL

Woody

If anyone here just has to have one of these, I highly recommend you watch Episode 12 of The Hobbyking Weekly Wrap in its entirety prior to purchase. It's 6 min long. You'll be glad you did. W

Comment

Robert P. loved the C-130! Believe it or not Viper he's a reviewer a lot of people really trust. I know I do. Check out his review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOtuFgn2_Kw
                                    Robert is such a lovable character. His reviews are extremely entertaining. However, he's so polite, I've never actually seen him crap on any plane. I even remember his review of the SR-71. He was so excited about it, but I know from my own SR-71, it is a garbage plane.

Maybe in a year or so, when the C-130 has had a few more "stampings" punched out and the price has been "refined" by HobbyKing, I may take another look at it.

Comment

xviper, whos flights looked like a roller coaster?
                                      The very first video made available by HobbyKing themselves showed to me that the flight characteristics of their own C-130 was somewhat ponderous and twitchy. He couldn't seem to keep it steady and the plane seemed to go where it wanted. It also came in for the landing like a rocket ship. It looked more like the pilot was helping to guide it and not so much as controlling it. Then there were subsequent videos from new owners (of whom I can't remember their user names now) where those flights also displayed this trait.

Comment

The very first video made available by HobbyKing themselves showed to me that the flight characteristics of their own C-130 was somewhat ponderous and twitchy. He couldn't seem to keep it steady and the plane seemed to go where it wanted. It also came in for the landing like a rocket ship. It looked more like the pilot was helping to guide it and not so much as controlling it. Then there were subsequent videos from new owners (of whom I can't remember their user names now) where those flights also displayed this trait.
                                        Oh, your talking about the C130.. I misunderstood. Thought we were talking about the Albatross.

Comment

Working...
                                        X