Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse Ryan ST-A Special 2350mm ARF Discussion Thread

Product page: https://www.motionrc.com/products/bl...ial-2350mm-arf

The Ryan STs were a series of two seat, low-wing monoplane aircraft built in the United States by the Ryan Aeronautical Company. They were used as sport aircraft, as well as trainers by flying schools and the militaries of several countries.

The ST-A was further developed as the ST-A Special, with a super-charged 150HP Menasco C4-S engine of increased power.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:3.8 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model was designed for electric drives but can also be operated with an internal combustion engine about 30cc displacement.

Features:
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, and fully sheeted laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Covered in high quality Oracover
    • Heavy-duty hinges on all control surfaces
    • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
    • Painted and detailed dummy radial engine, cockpit and interior included
    • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
    • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly.
    • Fiberglass cowl
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    • Fully illustrated instruction manual included and also available for download (see tab above)
    Includes:
    • Black Horse Ryan ST-A Special 2350mm (92.52") Wingspan - ARF
    Requires (Electric):Requires (Gas):
    • Engine: 20 - 30cc 2-stroke, NGH GT25 recommended or 30-35cc 4-stroke, NGH GF30 recommended
    • Gas Propeller: 15x8-16x10 2 Stroke, 15x10-17x10 4 Stroke
    • 9x 45g standard servos - we recommend HS-625MG
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Ryan updated.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	194527
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Actually, this was the one that caught my eye. Out with the tape measure, wow!!
    It's huge!!
    But so is the price by the time I add everything onto it to make it flyable, which is, after all, the only reason any of us would buy an RC airplane, I just can't justify spending that much money.
    I know there are people out there who can and more power to you and good luck with these great planes. I just live in a different decimal point. Hope the hobby isn't leaving like minded people behind:(

Thankfully there are still foamies I can afford, love to see this plane in a 1600 mm foamie Alpha:Cool:;)

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

I agree with you Gman. I would love to have the Fairchild Argus but all totalled it's out of my price point. I'll have to stay with less expensive foamies but that's allright I'm happy just to fly.

Comment

I hear you Grossman, many of us are in the same boat and why it's wonderful to have so many options these days. I would love nothing more than to have a CARF wing-folding Corsair with a Moki in my hangar but unless I rob a bank or win the lotto, it just ain't gonna happen for me and I am okay with that because there are so many cool, cheaper models to fly that are still wonderful and scale and full of fun.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          Actually, this was the one that caught my eye. Out with the tape measure, wow!!
          It's huge!!
          But so is the price by the time I add everything onto it to make it flyable, which is, after all, the only reason any of us would buy an RC airplane, I just can't justify spending that much money.
          I know there are people out there who can and more power to you and good luck with these great planes. I just live in a different decimal point. Hope the hobby isn't leaving like minded people behind:(

Thankfully there are still foamies I can afford, love to see this plane in a 1600 mm foamie Alpha:Cool:;)

Grossman56
          Dan, there are less pricey alternatives for the left placed decimal folks ;)
          Tower Hobbies carries an expansive collection of RC cars, RC airplanes, RC boats, model trains, sot cars, and supplies for all hobbyists.

Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks Charlie, exactly what I was thinking:Cool:

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

While it took me a year to build mine, I gave serious thought to an ARF version from both Tower and Phoenix Model. Both looked appealing and as a whole probably close to what I might spend for the larger foamies like P-38 and F-7. Either way, it was planned along the way - motor and ESC, reciever and servos, then prop, batteries and hardware - a few things at a time as I approached the completion stages. Again, careful planning along the way and I did not even have to add any weight to balance the big bird.
              That said I believe you could make the DH model a flyer with some modest equipment, but it would be a little at a time build not the unbox, assemble, and fly.
              I do like the way Balsa flies, but I have to admit I am a lot more cautious getting my Balsa in the air compared to a foamie, just as one might expect - call it “heightened awareness”.
              Guess it really depends on what model is next on your personal preference sheet, but it is really nice to have options in all directions. The Ryan would be a good foam model in say a 1 - 1.5m size.
              Thanks Motion, for loading up the table with some great choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                Hope the hobby isn't leaving like minded people behind:(
                With all due respect guys, you're concerns are completely misplaced. In the small to medium markets, especially in the foamy product lines, you're options are expanding almost daily.

With the exception of the lines that Horizon is turning out (and hopefully now with the reintroduced Black Horse), there are no extensive true giant scale (i.e. IMAA legal) choices in the moderately priced ARF arena, other than that there are the ultra high-end CARF-type offerings. In recent years, many importers such as ESM, ASM and PAM have disappeared. And with the death of many of the giant scale builder's kit lines like Top Flite, Great Planes, Dynaflite, etc. that option is receding into history, too. The ARF options in giant scale are 1/10th what exist in the smaller scales now, which is what I thought would happen when the IMAA went under.

So I do agree with the thanks to MRC for bringing some great giant scale choices back to market.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                  While it took me a year to build mine, it was planned along the way - motor and ESC, reciever and servos, then prop, batteries and hardware - a few things at a time as I approached the completion stages. .
                  This is how I'm thinking about one of these balsa planes. Getting the whole thing isn't going to happen, but buying it over time is something I could do. Instead of 2-3 foam planes, I have 1 balsa. Start with the model, later get the servos, motor, batteries if needed, etc. This is the only way I can justify the price. Of course, would I be too afraid to fly it is something to think about too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellke View Post

This is how I'm thinking about one of these balsa planes. Getting the whole thing isn't going to happen, but buying it over time is something I could do. Instead of 2-3 foam planes, I have 1 balsa. Start with the model, later get the servos, motor, batteries if needed, etc. This is the only way I can justify the price. Of course, would I be too afraid to fly it is something to think about too.
                    Your plan for getting and setting up a bird like this is often the best way to go. Especially if you're doing it on a budget. Having the airframe first allows you the inspect and measure where the additional components go and what the dimensions are. That way you can find out what motor stand offs/mounts, servo extension lengths etc. you'll need.

Having a bigger investment in a model can increase the anxiety level a bit, when it comes to flying it for the first time. But, the old adage that "bigger flys better" is in fact true. That's why the selling point of many gyros is that they make the plane feel like a larger plane. Larger planes tend to be less twitchy and less sensitive to winds.

Balsa and ply ARFs, like the Black Horse line, can be quite durable and less prone to hangar rash than a foam airframe, simply because the materials tend to be stronger. Handling with care is still important. The journey into larger wood planes is worth taking. You could find that a plane like this Ryan becomes the one you enjoy flying the most.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C4E6C766-F0EB-4D2E-AF7A-DF12F38C6A0B.jpeg
Views:	2279
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	209394 Without a doubt, the Ryan is my favorite to fly. She flys very scale like at half throttle, sounds and looks awesome in the air. At 72”, she would be dwarfed by the Horse version, but a club member is finishing one up so I am interested in seeing how the build presents the final product. Build is going IC instead of electric.
                      More precisely said, “...balsa and bigger, flies better”

Comment

To anyone is currently building the BH Ryan ST-A or has already completed it: I can't find the wing strut attachment points on the fuselage. The corresponding attachment points on the wing panels were easy to find right under the covering, but I can't find the other end attaching to the fuselage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I just bought one of these. it seems that there is no support in the fuselage for the strut ? What did you end up doing ? Just add some ply on the inside of the fuse ?

Comment

I have just got one of these as well , in the process of stripping the covering off the fuselage - going to glass and paint it - maybe even a few rivets here and there :)

Comment

Originally posted by SpartySam View Post
                              To anyone is currently building the Black Horse Ryan ST-A or has already completed it: I can't find the wing strut attachment points on the fuselage. The corresponding attachment points on the wing panels were easy to find right under the covering, but I can't find the other end attaching to the fuselage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                              The ones one the fuselage are there, just have to feel for them. It appears you only use one screw in each attach point, so I believe they are only there for looks.

I am about 75% complete with mine, and am not very pleased with it. The build plans could use some work also.

Hope it flys better than the assembly has been.

The electric motor mount system has given my plenty of issues, as its not correct for the recommended Motion RC Admiral motor. Had to fabricate my own firewall to allow use of the supplied motor mount, as the template for the electric motor system is then unusable. Had to locate the positions of the firewall blind nuts using multiple mock up for proper cowl alignment.

One tire was to big for the strut, would not rotate. Had to be turned down, as the outside diameter was to large to allow movement on the axle.

You need a servo reverse device for one elevator servo, which went unmentioned in the build parts list. You might be able to remedy this be relocating the guide tube for the control rod, but I am not tearing it all apart to try and correct the issue.

I had a question as well, will it fly on a 6 cell, or dose it have to be 8? The box says 6, here it says 8.

I hope the flight makes up for the headaches during assembly, its a very beautiful airplane.

VR

Comment

Here's my Blackhorse Ryan

I stripped the covering off the Fuselage and glassed it with 1/2oz cloth and Zpoxy resin - didn't like all the film covering joints :)
                                Running a Power 160 on 10s 5000mah battery with a Falcon 18x10 civilian Propeller.
                                Using a 85mm miracle alloy spinner.

Just need to do the final CG and then maiden - weathers been too Hot lately over 40c and strong winds..

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0879.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	225418
                                Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Terminater007;n225417]Here's my Blackhorse RyanQUOTE]

T7, Absolutely beautiful build. Love the Ryan and your rendition is top-notch. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Anyone else build one? Terminator007, did you do the bottom of the wings in checkerboard?

Comment

No i didn't just left it stock white

Comment

Nice work 007. If it flies like mine, you’re going to love it. Curious about the takeoff weight...I fiberglassed mine (SIG Kit), and she is 10.5 lbs. I know your version is about 20 inches across the wingspan larger. I also just determined the flying wires on mine are actually integral to the gear structure. Added a couple plywood ribs to beef it up. I picked up a set of the landing gear for your version to possible use in the second one I have NIB.
                                        Best of luck on the maiden, be sure to plant the tail after touch down and don’t chop the power in ground effect.
                                        CAVU

Comment

Working...
                                        X