X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 1400mm Pandora 4-in-1 Thread

(Click the links to go to the product page for the Blue and Red Pandora)

The Freewing Pandora is not only one of the best beginner planes on the market, it is a great intermediate plane too. How is this possible? The Pandora ships as a high wing trainer. Simply change the canopy to the included low wing canopy and move the wings to the bottom of the fuselage and you now have a light sport low wing plane perfect for an intermediate pilot. In addition there are two sets of wheels. There is a set of tricycle landing gear which the Motion RC Pilots think looks best on the low wing plane, and there is a set of "Big Wheel" landing gear in tail dragger format which is perfect for grass and dirt takeoff/landing. The "Big Wheels" even work on tall thick grass with ease.

You literally have 4 combinations and can make 4 different planes. This is a fantastic concept which is very enjoyable to fly. The Pandora does not get knocked around by the wind as much as a smaller plane. Though it is recommended beginners do not fly in a lot of wind, this plane is easier than most to fly in a bit of wind because of the larger size and weight. The guys at Motion RC think the Freewing Pandora may quickly become the plane of choice for both beginner and intermediate pilots. This is one of the best performing, best built, best values in RC planes.

FEATURES:
    • High wing and low wing configuration included in one plane
    • Tricycle landing gear and tail dragger landing gear included
    • Included BIG wheels for tall grass takeoff and landings
    • Molded wing pocket for optional flap servos - push rods and linkage included
    • Durable EPO foam construction
    • Nylon hinges on all control surfaces
    • Brushless motor, ESC, and 4 micro servos installed
    REQUIRES:
    • 4 Channel Radio - Select a minimum 4 channel radio from our Radio Collection
    • 4 Channel Receiver - Select a minimum 4 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
    • 3 Cell 11.1V 2200 mAh Lipo Battery with XT60 Connector - EPR22003X6
    • 3 Cell Compatible Battery Charger - Select a minimum 3 cell (3S) charger from our Charger Collection
    Click image for larger version  Name:	freewing-pandora-4-in-1-red-1400mm-55-wingspan-pnp-motion-rc-26233695948_1024x1024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.6 KB ID:	196831
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Ordered!

Comment

Bought one about six months ago and really like it. Like any RC model it has a few quirks but it flies good, is stable and responsive. I'm a beginner and was flying a Carbon Z Cub but like the variations of this plane and the ease in flying it. I have flown it as a tail dragger and tri-wheel configuration but prefer the taildragger. Want more air time before graduating to the low wing setup. I've crashed this plane a couple of times, each time really hard, but it repairs easily. Dollar for dollar, I don't think there is a plane for a beginner or intermediate pilot for the price. Flew this morning in eleven mph wind and had no problem. And, "yes", I would buy another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Whizzer View Post
        Bought one about six months ago and really like it. Like any RC model it has a few quirks but it flies good, is stable and responsive. I'm a beginner and was flying a Carbon Z Cub but like the variations of this plane and the ease in flying it. I have flown it as a tail dragger and tri-wheel configuration but prefer the taildragger. Want more air time before graduating to the low wing setup. I've crashed this plane a couple of times, each time really hard, but it repairs easily. Dollar for dollar, I don't think there is a plane for a beginner or intermediate pilot for the price. Flew this morning in eleven mph wind and had no problem. And, "yes", I would buy another one.
        I love that you can grow with this model. Start with a high wing orientation and tricycle gear then move to taildragger, then to low wing with tricycle, then low wing taildragger. It can really help people get ready for warbirds and more advanced stuff all around.

Comment

My Pandora has a lot of flight hours on it, I take this plane every time I go to the club field and is one of my favorites. When I take it up I point it into the wind,drop the flaps and hover!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_121340.jpeg
Views:	2345
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	232530

Comment

Maidened my Pandora last Saturday evening from the "Rails-2-Trails" bike path just south of Elsinore, UT.

This is my first powered RC plane (with wheels) that takes off and lands from the ground - (all my previous RC experience is with gliders and helis). Only four Pandora flights with a few touch-N-go's thrown in for good measure. Years of sim practice paid off as all landings were damage free.

Built the Pandora in the default high-wing, trike configuration with a simple (lightweight) 4-channel RX setup (no flaps yet). I did fit it with voltage and GPS sensors and it is running off of a 2200 mAh 3S LiPo.

First impressions conclusion? Nice plane!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PandoraMaiden_20200201_1545.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.9 KB ID:	234826

Comment

Great thread Alpha!
              As most are aware, I'm a big Pandora fan and have flown mine for the past five, going into the sixth season. Great wind bird and definitely a great training bird, I built up experience to fly warbirds and jets from time on these birds.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4247.JPG
Views:	2211
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	235450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4655.JPG
Views:	2174
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	235451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6118.JPG
Views:	2188
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	235452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6116.JPG
Views:	2204
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	235453

I have to get some updated pics of these birds. The third and fourth RC airplanes I ever owned.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Can I purchase a Pandora or similar in KIT FORM ?

Comment

jimjonesuk@live.co.uk Hi Jim, welcome to Hobby Squawk. The Freewing Pandora is currently only available in PNP form. Most "similar" aircraft in this category --low cost, foam electric trainers-- are also most often available in PNP or further formats other than KIT format due to overall market preferences.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by jimjonesuk@live.co.uk View Post
                    Can I purchase a Pandora or similar in KIT FORM ?
                    Just go on the Motion Rc website under civilian planes and they have two types one blue one red. They are reciever ready or PNP and are easily assembled in one of four types.

Comment

Just curious guys...Flying the Pandora in tricycle gear config...how many have stripped a servo when landing on grass? The field I fly from is a great field, but like most, there are a few rough patches and while landing the Pandora for only the second time (first landing was fine) had a bit of a rough touchdown although it was slooooow and I thought the flare was spot on, still the plastic gear servo stripped when it touched a rough spot with the nose gear on the grass runway. I have replaced it with a metal gear servo in hopes of avoiding this, but was wondering if this is a common problem on the Pandora in the tricycle gear config? I have flow this plane in the taildragger configuration from the same field without issue. Sweet flying airplane. Just hate to replace servos.

Comment

Hey Larry D, I've never flown mine in the tricycle configuration but I've had other tricycle gear planes and that seems to be a problem when flown off grass. I would just replace the servo with a metal one and problem solved. Enjoy the Pandora and happy flying.

Comment

I stripped and replaced the rudder servo (with 17g metal gear) on mine too (in trike configuration).

Loving my Pandora so far!

Comment

Got four new batteries for my Pandora and took it up to the Gunnison (Utah) R/C Flight Park yesterday. Eight flights in and no crashes! As I said before, I'm really liking the Pandora! Also put a Mobius Mini on the horizontal stab to get some aerial footage of the field. Here are a couple stills... (the air is smoky due to fires upwind)

Comment

dang, look at that field!! Utah, eh. May have to check that one out!!
                              Just wanted to put this out to the masses, I learned most of my flying skills on the Pandora and now have moved on to warbirds etc. This year I took a side step to try something else and managed to talk the wife into letting me buy the Flex Innovations RV-8. As the next step up in airplanes for those who don't want to go the warbird route or are just looking for something different, man let me tell you, this plane is such a dream to fly that I have to force myself to leave it at home!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Very nice ridgerunner, the Pandora is favorite go plane for many of us. I couldn't tell how many times mine been up. I have had a few crashes, but she's tough. It's still flying and going on about 4 and half years now and goes up several times every time I'm out at the field.
                                Still Learning:D

Comment

Hey guys, I was operating this plane today as an "instructor pilot" with a buddy box, and we ran into a really odd problem. The type we were flying looks just like this:

It was quite windy and the plane was really docile with a 3-cell battery, it was hard to make headway upwind.
                                  So we installed a 4-cell battery instead of the usual 3-cell. This gave the model a nice boost in performance which was helpful in the wind.

I flew it twice that way, getting it all trimmed out and adjusted, it flew very nicely. I wasn't using full throttle.
                                  During the flight I noticed that the brake was on (the prop stopped when I closed the throttle, instead if windmilling)

Towards the end of the second flight as we were coasting on the downwind leg the prop stopped, which was odd... then it started again with a very strange noise and the plane dropped. I recovered, and turned towards the runway, then applied power and it stopped again then made this strange sound (a loud whirrrr) and dropped again. I was able to pull it out and it "landed" heavily in tall grass just short of the runway, no damage.

We walked over to the plane and put it on the runway, then I tested the throttle to see what was going on, and the motor started right up and ran fast - but BACKWARDS! That was the damnedest thing ever! We took the plane back to the pits and showed the whole group... everyone was shaking their heads. Each time we started the motor it ran backwards. We took it apart, and I found that the ESC was red hot. So obviously that 4-cell battery had overloaded it.... so we let it cool back down and after 15 minutes we tested the operation and the motor started up in the correct direction and operated completely normally.

I've been flying RC my whole life - and electric RC for about 20 years, I've flown hundreds of planes and I've never seen an ESC reverse direction in midair when it got hot. (I don't usually have that kind of problem with ESCs) Obviously what they usually do when they're abused is let the smoke out! Having a plane reverse the prop in the middle of a flight was just something that I never expected and I had no idea what was happening. have you ever seen an indoor 3D plane with a reversable prop? That's what it was like!

Well of course we're not going to use a 4-cell anymore on this plane! But I thought I'd share and see what you guys think.

If any of you know the make and model of the ESC in this plane please post that in your reply. I'd like to look up the specs!!

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post

If any of you know the make and model of the ESC in this plane please post that in your reply. I'd like to look up the specs!!

OK "never mind" - I just found the ESC manual under the spare parts page, so I can reprogram it to set the brake to "off". Interestingly, it says that if the ESC overheats it is supposed to shut down the power. (which is what I would expect).
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

They are only a 30A ESC so if you're running a 4 cell, you may be cutting it close, I replaced both of mine with a 50A after burning out an ESC. The thing I'd be wary about is whether that little motor will handle it. Not saying that it won't, but check your specs on that. Both of mine have bigger motors, one has the RocHobby Waco motor in it (don't ask what the size is, I changed it out years ago) and the other is running the motor from the E Flite Spitfire.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                        Great thread Alpha!
                                        As most are aware, I'm a big Pandora fan and have flown mine for the past five, going into the sixth season. Great wind bird and definitely a great training bird, I built up experience to fly warbirds and jets from time on these birds.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4247.JPG Views:	718 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	235450Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4655.JPG Views:	682 Size:	318.2 KB ID:	235451Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6118.JPG Views:	676 Size:	152.9 KB ID:	235452Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6116.JPG Views:	682 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	235453

I have to get some updated pics of these birds. The third and fourth RC airplanes I ever owned.

Grossman56
                                        Great paint jobs ! Would you please advise which paints you used and did they add much weight to the planes. I want to paint my Pandora but some say use water based paints others say enamels. I need some direction as I really like the plane but it needs more color for me to see it easier. Thank you
                                        Carl R.

Comment

Working...
                                        X