X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Cub S+ and DX8 G1

Hello, new to the forum and flying. I started flying a couple months ago with a RTF Carbon Cub S +. Been a tremendous amount of fun. Recently picked up a gen 1 DX8. I noticed on Spektrums website there are .spm files for the Cub and gen2 radio. Will these files work for the gen 1 radio?

The radio bound easily to the plane ( I do have flaps installed). Throttle, ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder all work. But without flying I’m not sure what controls adjust the SAFE modes and how to set home, etc. Im wondering if these .spm files will simplify this.

I would go to your manual, page 5 and look at the instructions for BNF and do what it says for the DX8 G2. Then confirm that everything works in the proper directions and the switches do what they’re supposed to. When I went from my old DX8 to my new DX8 G2, I never bothered with the .spm files. I just went into the new TX and manually duplicated all the settings for every plane I had.

Comment

Thanks for advice. Referring to page 5 mentions “channel assign” . It doesn’t appear that my transmitter has this option. I also tried loading the g2 dx8 spm file. My g1 recognized it as a dx9 file and wouldn’t load. I may just do some guess and checking to see where I get.

Comment

It's been a long time since I used a DX8 G1, so it's a lot more restrictive in what you can do. Bummer! I guess that's why I copied all my models manually to my new DX8 G2. Try contacting Horizon Hobby's help line to see if they have a work around for you. If they can't, then you're going to have to go back to the TX provided for your RTF Cub and use the DX8 for other planes that don't have the fancy "Safe" and GPS stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll give Horizon a call, might try my local shop too. Fun hobby, bit of a learning curve with this stuff..

Comment

Looks like I may have gotten it to work! Found an old thread with some insight on the matter. Still need to test it but it appears to be working correctly inside (currently have GPS disconnected as well). I needed to adjust the switch select menu. AUX 1 controls the home/GPS features which is linked to the Trainer button. Flap switch links to SAFE modes and Aux 2 are my flaps. Photo within to show how it's set up. Really just need to test the GPS functionality at this point. Safe Modes appear to be working along with all flight controls.

Comment

Yes, I remember that screen now. I just can't recall exactly what you can do with it. Good luck.

Comment

Took the Cub out yesterday with the DX8. Worked great and fun trying out the flaps. Something is going on with my GPS (don't think it's related to the DX8) so I've been flying with it disconnected.

Also picked up a Durafly Tundra this weekend that I'll build up. This hobby has got me!

Comment

Originally posted by ebb-fly View Post
                  Took the Cub out yesterday with the DX8. Worked great and fun trying out the flaps. Something is going on with my GPS (don't think it's related to the DX8) so I've been flying with it disconnected.

Also picked up a Durafly Tundra this weekend that I'll build up. This hobby has got me!
                  One thing to tell you to do if important. I found out the hard way. Remember that battery door underneath the plane? I was flying in front of my brothers and stunting the plane. I was going into a right turn when I noticed something fell out of the plane that was blue. The battery dropped out of the plane and she flew in a circle into the ground. I took the "walk of shame" to see what happened. When I turned over the plane the battery door was open, battery was gone and the strap had broken. Partly, because I pull the strap tight when I put the battery in so it doesn't slip around. The fix, repair damages, find wire bundle strap (exact fit) with velcro from Lowes in a roll, put velcro on batteries and matching in plane. Now the strap is the safety to the velcro. Accident one now; I left the plane in the sun one day before flying (maybe a problem or not), took it up and was flying the cub upside down and looping it. Suddenly, it went out of control. Took the "walk of shame" to find out the tape for the hinges on the ailerons pulled the paint off the plane and was dangling from the control rods. I replaced the hinges with those at the hobby shop. While I as at it, fixed the fuselage and painted it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	232659 When the ailerons came off, the fuselage was broken in two places. I flew it again two weeks ago and it still flies great.

Comment

Working...
                  X