X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LX 2000mm B-25 Apache Princess

Ok let’s start this off by me saying normal LX models are a no fly zone for the Merry Boozer but papa boozer has wanted a big B-25 for as long as I can remember. I recently was offered this plane basically brand new for half off and I couldn’t resist it. First impressions this thing is dripping in scale details and it’s definitely the best B-25 I’ve ever seen in person. Our friend Rich Baker also has this model and with.... a lot of modifications this is a fantastic model. First thing we will do is go through all the electronics in this bird take the 5 amp BEC and throw it in the trash and add a dedicated on board batterie. Unfortunately the lights weren’t installed by the previous owner I might tackle adding them in. We will also be changing the props to the FMS tigercat props to try and wake it up a bit. If that’s not enough tiger cat power plants on 6s. Anyway wanted to share this is a fantastic start on a great model but it could use a new updated version Ana’s I feel this plane would truly be worth around $700 new if some of the short comings would be fixed
    Attached Files

Keep us posted on this big beautiful bird! I was thinking of getting the kit version myself. 😀

Comment

Originally posted by mk23mod0 View Post
      Keep us posted on this big beautiful bird! I was thinking of getting the kit version myself. 😀
      General Hobby has them on special at the moment.
      $390 for the kit.
      And $504 for the plug and fly.

LURCH

Comment

Originally posted by taz101 View Post

General Hobby has them on special at the moment.
        $390 for the kit.
        And $504 for the plug and fly.

LURCH
        Thanks for the heads up!!

Comment

Very nice but your shop is way too clean.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
            Very nice but your shop is way too clean.

Mike
            Papa Boozer/Dots Lol if you ask papa he will tell you in a slob

Comment

Papa is really looking forward to this challenge. I have wanted and been asking for a big foamy B-25 of this scale. I am sixty seven years old and cannot wait for a manufacturer to build a better model. So, what I am saying is, " use it, before you loose it." I am not disappointed in this purchase, the plane is overall a great design, I think it is lacking in power, landing gear strength, electronics and minor other details. This is really disappointing because this airplane without cutting corner could have been a great one. Sad, so close but so far away. The Boozers have a few projects in front of this one and Papa is going to travel in the summer, so it will be a little slow coming. But, I will get her done. Can't get any better than this. Got my OV-10 from Motion and now my B-25. There is a Santa Clause! Living the good life guys, hope it comes across on the Boozer channel. Papa

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Boozer/Dots View Post
                Papa is really looking forward to this challenge. I have wanted and been asking for a big foamy B-25 of this scale. I am sixty seven years old and cannot wait for a manufacturer to build a better model. So, what I am saying is, " use it, before you loose it." I am not disappointed in this purchase, the plane is overall a great design, I think it is lacking in power, landing gear strength, electronics and minor other details. This is really disappointing because this airplane without cutting corner could have been a great one. Sad, so close but so far away. The Boozers have a few projects in front of this one and Papa is going to travel in the summer, so it will be a little slow coming. But, I will get her done. Can't get any better than this. Got my OV-10 from Motion and now my B-25. There is a Santa Clause! Living the good life guys, hope it comes across on the Boozer channel. Papa

Just a few comments....

BEC - the current release of this model has a newer BEC that has sufficient amperage capacity.

Lacking in power - you can greatly improve this by setting the ESCs to "high timing", it flies very well & realistically on a 4S with high timing, You can also just upgrade to a 5S and leave the timing as is. but its harder to fit a 5S battery in there.

Landing gear strength - actually the gear itself is very strong. Its the way the mount is set up that's sub-par - they use a plastic mount that is glued into the foam with insufficient glue.... reinforce the plastic mount with 30-minute epoxy (that way the plastic mount won't move anymore) and it will be very strong. There is a plastic part on the trailing link of the nose gear that's easily broken, but its easy to replace it with a paper clip.
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Just a few comments....

BEC - the current release of this model has a newer BEC that has sufficient amperage capacity.

Lacking in power - you can greatly improve this by setting the ESCs to "high timing", it flies very well & realistically on a 4S with high timing, You can also just upgrade to a 5S and leave the timing as is. but its harder to fit a 5S battery in there.

Landing gear strength - actually the gear itself is very strong. Its the way the mount is set up that's sub-par - they use a plastic mount that is glued into the foam with insufficient glue.... reinforce the plastic mount with 30-minute epoxy (that way the plastic mount won't move anymore) and it will be very strong. There is a plastic part on the trailing link of the nose gear that's easily broken, but its easy to replace it with a paper clip.
                  Awesome we will definitely keep these suggestions in mind as we fix this old girl up. She is a impressive machine and I can’t wait to get her up in the air

Comment

Great experiences on the repair of this plane. This should be a no brainer. Between Rich Baker video and all you other guys, this has shorten repair time tremendously. Guys thanks for all the advise and please keep sharing you thoughts. I will be making photos of the repair as I go along, so keep watching. Which ever manufacturer that decided to build a large scale B25, all of the community will have the modifications work out so you can go right into production. Hint....Hint....For all you younger guys in the future, that have time to wait. Remember what Papa says, " Keep requesting what plane you what built, remember you vote counts! "

Comment

Main and Nose gear repair: This is one of the big problems with this airplane. In looking at my plane, and what I have seen in past experience. Main gear does not like side loading, when this happen, pressure is put between the plastic gear housing and the foam. Foam is forced out and never comes back, leaving a gap and loose gear. Yes, you could dump a lot of glue in gap, but the next repair would be a mess. If the manufacturer would have lined the box with hard ply problem would be solved. I elected to shore up the gap with 1/8" ply and use CA. Nose gear, I disassembled and started on the retract main bar. Did what The RC informer recommended and wrap with wire. moved on to the rotating collar on the shaft. Cut holes and wrap it also with wire. Replaced all plastic pins with bolts. Easier to disassemble if needed. I then placed a spring to asset retraction, as per the RC informer recommendation. Weak points are marked in black for reference. Papa tip: Hit the runway on mains and role strait out. She would have no problem. Good advise, now practice what you preach! Or back to the repair bench.Pictures to follow.

Comment

Pictures of repairs to landing gear.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Papa has electric to go with a 10 amp. quality BEC. The other option was to go with a separate battery and switch. All I need is another battery to take care of.

Comment

How did this end up for you?

Comment

Working...
                            X