Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added up the weight again. I added 8oz exactly 1/2lb of lead to the cowl. Here's a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl with Weight.png
Views:	752
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	284890

I'll be putting in the RimFire 1.20 50-65 450kv a little later this morning. I'll post an update with the numbers on that later.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	download.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	284959
      Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
      I had watched the RCINFORMERS videos on this as well. I agree it seems underpowered in it's stock form. I'm going to try it for myself before making any changes. I am planning on upgrading for more power. I was thinking about the RimFire 1.20 450kv to keep it as a 6S setup, but i'm not sure on that yet.

I will for sure need more power than it's stock form since I am planning on repainting mine in the F2G Super Corsair #57 Scheme.

If anyone has thoughts on power setup please post them up.
      Sounds like a very cool project! How are you going to lengthen the nose to house what was a P&W 4360 engine that they used in it? Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.0 KB ID:	284958

Comment

The Rimfire 1.20 that i picked up had an internal issue. Bad bearing or wasn't shimmed correctly. So I have to send that back into horizon. So I don't have any results for testing that motor =(

Davegee - I may end up just putting extensions on the motor mount to push it forward. Then i'll use fiberglass to extend the cowl (or lengthen it) most likely. I'm not 100% sure, but that's my initial thoughts on it. Pushing the motor forward will also allow me to take out the additional weight and still hit that sweet spot for the CG. I need to do some measurements and figure out how far out I'll go and how much I'll need to extend the cowl. But that will come later this winter when i get into the project of actually converting it.

Comment

Thanks for that info, 406Pilot. I hope you are able to make the Super Corsair as you plan to do. I love that R4360 P&W engine, It's been on many planes, not just a few variants of the Corsair, but planes like Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose, the C-124, C-97, B-36, and others, too from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            I’ve had the V1 and currently the V2 and yes, there is a crap load of weights in the cowl - way, way more than what it normally takes to balance a car rim/tire. I would have thought that FMS figured some way to address this situation in the V3. I don’t know of any other model plane that needs 1/2 lb. of weight to be added by the end user.
            The full size one would have a much proportionally lighter tail and a heavy engine.

Comment

Has anyone else gotten their hands on the V3 corsair yet? I'm curious if anyone besides RCINFORMER & myself are trying different power systems and setups to find that sweet power ratio that the corsair deserves....

Comment

Has anyone else gotten their hands on the V3 corsair yet? I'm curious if anyone besides RCINFORMER & myself are trying different power systems and setups to find that sweet power ratio that the corsair deserves....
                "deserves"?

What kind of thrust to weight ratio do you imagine the corsair had in 1942?

Comment

The Corsair was the fastest straight line plane to come off the line during ww2! 400mph + flat and level.

Which means at 1/8th - 1/7th scale it should be at least around 55mph.

Stock form you would be lucky if the v3 from fms is hitting 35-40mph.

Comment

The Corsair was the fastest straight line plane to come off the line during ww2! 400mph + flat and level.

Yeah, 430+ at 23825 feet.

And about 300mph at sea level.

Planes do their top speed at altitude because air is thinner less drag.. they fly a lot slower at the altitudes we fly them at!

Comment

35-40?!? That would be a HUGE decrease in power over the V1/V2. Bone stock I could still see around 50-60mph or so. I would have been happy with 70-80mph. 35-40 is nearly unflyable, yikes.

My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Hmmmm, that's pretty sluggish for this plane. My V2 with the 360 motor seems to go much faster than that. It's been discussed before that you can't scale down speed for a model airplane because you can't scale down air. Nevertheless, I want my Corsair to get into the 80+ mph. A 50 mph Corsair of this size just won't do. It just doesn't look right when I fly my other prop jobs right after flying the Corsair.

Comment

Agreed. At this size 80+ is definitely reasonable and warranted. Anything slower and, meh. I think FMS dropped the ball on this release. They could have and should have wowed this release with a stock power setup the model and size deserves instead of customers having to spend hundreds more just to find an adequate power increase.

Had this one bone stock been capable of 80+ one would already be sitting in my garage.
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by bandetx View Post

Yeah, 430+ at 23825 feet.

And about 300mph at sea level.

Planes do their top speed at altitude because air is thinner less drag.. they fly a lot slower at the altitudes we fly them at!
                            Just not true if you base things on facts.

Comment

Ummm yea that's just not true.... at the Reno air races which are a few thousand feet (4-6000 ft) it hit speeds of 403, but i appreciate the attempt at the information
                              Air race planes are not the same configuration.

Comment

Sure, but your stats aren't correct either.

It's not worth arguing about. Bottom line is the new v3 Corsair is under powered and anyone that owns one seems to agree on that.

Comment

Sure, but your stats aren't correct either.

It's not worth arguing about. Bottom line is the new v3 Corsair is under powered and anyone that owns one seems to agree on that.
                                  When RCInformer tests a product, he is doing so on behalf of the company. In this case, it's FMS and Horizon Hobby. He generally won't trash a plane because that won't make the company very happy. However, when he diplomatically says that the plane is a little sluggish (I can't remember the exact words he used), you know it's SLOW and is lacking something. Then when he ups the ante by throwing 8 cells into, that confirms it. He went from "ho-hum" to almost giddy. That says it all for me.
                                  Personally, I'm not going to buy the V3 when I've got a fairly good V2 that I can mod. I can live without the "zippity do dah" hatch release. The rest, I can reproduce on the V2.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    When RCInformer tests a product, he is doing so on behalf of the company. In this case, it's FMS and Horizon Hobby. He generally won't trash a plane because that won't make the company very happy. However, when he diplomatically says that the plane is a little sluggish (I can't remember the exact words he used), you know it's SLOW and is lacking something. Then when he ups the ante by throwing 8 cells into, that confirms it. He went from "ho-hum" to almost giddy. That says it all for me.
                                    Personally, I'm not going to buy the V3 when I've got a fairly good V2 that I can mod. I can live without the "zippity do dah" hatch release. The rest, I can reproduce on the V2.
                                    I love the Corsair and had to have one which I didn't previously own. I'll mod this one to get it up to where it should be.

I was just hoping to get some informative stuff from here.

Comment

I love the Corsair and had to have one which I didn't previously own. I'll mod this one to get it up to where it should be.

I was just hoping to get some informative stuff from here.
                                      This is my 3rd V2, so you know how I feel about it. I also have the Flightline one. I just don't have room for 3 at once. I've learned a lot of good stuff from these threads and I especially learned a bucket load from RCInformer's videos.

Comment

I was going to try a RimFire 1.20 450kv in this and report back with numbers. My brand new motor i took out of the box had some issues. Horizon contacted me today they are swapping it out for me, but it's out of stock. So wont get the replacement until mid - late december. Soon as it comes in i'll provide static on the ground amp & watt #'s.

In the meantime I ordered the 3 blade 18x12 corsair prop from Motion RC. I'll see how that does and report back. I'm really curious to see if that makes any difference. I'm really starting to wonder if FMS didn't mess up the pitch on the V3 prop some how.

Comment

I was going to try a RimFire 1.20 450kv in this and report back with numbers. My brand new motor i took out of the box had some issues. Horizon contacted me today they are swapping it out for me, but it's out of stock. So wont get the replacement until mid - late december. Soon as it comes in i'll provide static on the ground amp & watt #'s.

In the meantime I ordered the 3 blade 18x12 corsair prop from Motion RC. I'll see how that does and report back. I'm really curious to see if that makes any difference. I'm really starting to wonder if FMS didn't mess up the pitch on the V3 prop some how.
                                          The prop adapter/holder for the FL 3-blade has a different sized hex hole than what's on the FMS motor shaft. You'll have to do some modifying to make it fit. I fitted the FMS 4-blade prop assembly onto my FL Corsair. It's not a direct fit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X