Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please advise

Hi,

I am getting back to RC flying after 4 year hiatus. I have the Cobra 2217/12 brushless motor with the Great Planes brushless ESC SS-25 and 3 S 2200 mAh Lipo. I am installing this on the Multiplex Easy Star 2. After 1 minute a high throttle the ESC becomes extremely HOT, too hot to touch ! Wrong use of ESC and Lipo? Thanks Dai

First, you don't tell us what prop you are using. The stock Easy Star uses a 7x6 prop. Next, that ESC is rated at 25A with a 28A surge for a few seconds. Then, the brushless motor you are using draws 32A and you ran it for 1 minute at high throttle. It's not necessarily wrong match of ESC and LiPo, although you might do OK with a 2 cell battery. If you stay with 3 cell LiPo, then you need a bigger ESC or a lower kv motor. Of course the prop you're using will enter the equation, too.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      First, you don't tell us what prop you are using. The stock Easy Star uses a 7x6 prop. Next, that ESC is rated at 25A with a 28A surge for a few seconds. Then, the brushless motor you are using draws 32A and you ran it for 1 minute at high throttle. It's not necessarily wrong match of ESC and LiPo, although you might do OK with a 2 cell battery. If you stay with 3 cell LiPo, then you need a bigger ESC or a lower kv motor. Of course the prop you're using will enter the equation, too.
      The stock folding prop is 7X6. The maximum current for the 2217-12 is 32 amps so the 25 amps ESC is a wrong choice. I would need ESC rated 35 amps or higher. Will this allow me to use the stock folding prop? Thanks Dai

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/cobra-...r-kv-1550.html

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/images...7-12_Specs.htm

Comment

That should work unless there's something else with your setup that's not good - ie, bad solders, wiring frayed or too small, etc.

Comment

That should work unless there's something else with your setup that's not good - ie, bad solders, wiring frayed or too small, etc.
          I went ahead and order 2 ESC with 40 A ratings. Dai

Attached Files

Comment

Two?

Comment

Two?
              I have another plane that needs higher amp ESC. BTW where the heck can you buy Multiplex planes? Horizon Hobby and Tower stopped carrying it. I learned to fly on the original Easy Star in 2002. Love it so much that now I am flying the second version. Dai

Comment

Google it and you'll see several sellers.

Comment

Google it and you'll see several sellers.
                  No sellers in the USA. Dai

Comment

It depends on what Multiplex plane you are after. Some are discontinued and you won't be able to buy them anywhere except those hobby stores that may have left over stock. Do a search for "RC Multiplex planes". I get a few in the US that have some models available.

Comment

Working...
                    X