Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Skynetic 1100mm Yak 54 3D Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Skynetic 1100mm Yak 54 3D Discussion Thread

Yak 54 3D 1100mm (43.3") Wingspan - ARF BUNDLE from Skynetic - SKY1012-002

Click here to access the official product page

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2061
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	314983

The Skynetic Yak 54 EPP is a 3D flyer made of durable EPP foam that can perform show-stopping 3D maneuvers with ease. The Yak 54 EPP has been structurally-enhanced with carbon fiber support rods and strips throughout for weight-saving yet extreme rigidity for those High G 3D maneuvers up your sleeve. With a streamlined and aerodynamic profile, the Yak 54 EPP is tailor-made for countless hours of outdoor exhilarating, flying fun!
    FEATURES:
    • Slick, streamlined and aerodynamic profile with sharp sunburst livery
    • Carbon fiber support rods and strips throughout to promote extreme rigidity
    • Wind-resistant, durable and rigid airframe allows for both indoor and outdoor flying
    • Powerful AS2216 KV1250 brushless outrunner motor for a wide flight performance envelope
    INCLUDES:
    • Skynetic Yak 54 3D 1100mm (43.3") Wingspan - ARF BUNDLE
    • AS2216 KV1250 brushless outrunner motor
    • 30-amp brushless ESC with XT60 connector
    • 4x 17g micro servos
    REQUIRES:PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 14 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    BUILD TIME : 5 HOURS

Wingspan 43.3in / 1100mm
    Length 47.2in / 1200mm
    Flying Weight 650 - 750g
    CG (Center of Gravity) 96 - 114mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root
    Power System Powerful AS2216 KV1250 Brushless outrunner motor (installed)
    Electronic Speed Control 30-amp brushless ESC with XT60 connector (installed)
    Propeller / EDF Electric propeller
    Servos 4x 17g micro servos
    Landing Gear Fixed
    Required Battery 3 Cell 11.1V 1300 - 1800 mAh Li-Po battery with XT60 connector (required)
    Required Radio 4+ channel radio system (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps No
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Foam
    Material EPP Foam
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 5 Hours
    Recommended Environment Indoor/Outdoor
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

While waiting for my Extreme Flight Extra NX to arrive bought this model for a quick fix.
    Yes, it is an inexpensive flat foamie and not for serious 3D stuff, but it is hyped as such.
    No instructions came with the kit --- they are available on line but seem pretty dated, poor pictures, and 90% of it is on how to cut slots for servo wires !!!
    Horns now supplied are not likely to work very well --- horns pictured in on - line manual are much better, why the switch ? Push rods on rudder and elevator are way to flexible to be of any use and I only received one of the correct length anyway.
    Seems original kit came with prop -- none supplied with mine.
    Motor mount, landing gear mount and battery mount/design seem good without needing any mods. All pre cut servo holes need opening up to fit supplied servos -- not easy without good tools. Same with the stiffening, carbon rod grooves, they need some serious opening up.
    Servo support plates are too thin and easy to strip out.
    Need instructions to ease the stiffness of the control surface hinge lines (foam) as the supplied servos struggle and the ailerons definitely do not deflect the same angle along their length due to the hinge stiffness.
    Fuse is approx 1" wide. Fin that glues to end of fuse is approx 5/16" wide -- probably poor aerodynamics at that junction ! In truth aerodynamics properties don't mean much on this type of model anyway so design will work, I have added balsa triangle stock here, both as a fairing and added support..
    You will not need the servo extensions or the "Y" as they are supplied.

We will see if flight performance negates these niggly issues ! I would love to have access to a facility to allow INDOOR flying of this one !

Comment

My final weight comes out at 846gm ! Includes 56gm of noseweight. Original weight claimed with 12gm servos, now comes with 17gm servos so there is plus 20gm. I used white Gorilla glue for much of the assembly and used less than 20gm. Approx 20 gm of epoxy for firewall, gear mount and wing mounting.

Flying tomorrow - will advise.

Comment

Flew today with 1800 packs, 11 x 5 prop. Not a very inspiring model, way too heavy to do even basic 3D. Had to add noseweight so flying with 2200 packs in future and removing some of the lead.
        Would suggest to add a little more money and get a real 3D model (much lighter) if this is on your wish list. Will not even be a good practice hack model at 846 gm.

Comment

I purchased this also for trying out 3D side of this hobby. Prop was included but, NOTHING was assembled including all carbon spars in fuse and wings. I used epoxy - a lot - and not afraid of it turning out a little on the heavy side. Other modelers beware - the control horns are too short, you'll need to replace them. I'm going use the wire linkages which are woefully flimsy (like ailerons and rudder). Like killickb said, this model flexes way too much. On the other side, if you're a newb like me the plane should be indestructible. Some thing like a rubber airplane - could've used one many years ago! The only thing that worries me is having to add nose ballast. We'll see tonight as I'm about finished with plane.

Comment

Wasted this one! Initial weight with 1600 battery installed read 680 grams. THEN I proceeded to balance - using CG as far back as allocated - when I reached 7 oz of additional nose weight, it STILL needed more!
            I'm pulling the parts and giving it to my youngest grandson to throw around.

Comment

Well having to do some assembly is acceptable and amount of epoxy is up to the builder BUT -------. I believe in giving praise where due and vice versa --- this model is PATHETIC. I have been modelling for over 60 years and have built good and bad but this one beats all for just poor execution. I am kicking myself for purchasing as I see no way to modify it to perform even basic 3D. I trust that Motion will not regret taking on this line and renaming it Skynetic.

If you want an intro foamie 3D model go to Twisted Hobbies, you will spend more but they will be flyable dollars !

Comment

Hey, Guys - this is a continuation of the original Tech One line of planes. The venerable Yak 54 has been a go-to flyer at our club for years, we must have over a dozen in this retirement community (On Top of the World) I was the first one to bring one here, and the first with a gyro (yeah, I know, pitiful huh?) But eventually many of the guys embraced this plane and installed a stabilized RX and off to the races we went. This plane needs a few mods to be truly successful - first and foremost, the rear servos need to be move forward to get the weight out of the tail area, if you don't you're looking at 2-3oz of nose weight to make CG. Simply run a thin carbon rod to the back for control. Second, a good RPC 10x5 or 10x6 low pitch electric prop (not a slow flyer prop) will give you great torque/thrust. A stabilized RX or separate gyro is almost a must to dampen the throws and give you the ability to fly in any wind. Our planes have been flown easily in 20+ mph winds - it's eveyone's go-to plane when you wouldn't dare fly anything else. As far as 3D, there' not much this plane won't do with practice - IMO it's a perfect plane for honing skills and stick memory when learning anything new. It flies perfectly well with a 3S 1550mah to keep things lightweight. I have two that are 6+ years old, one damaged and repaired so often that it's now covered with lights and is my night flyer - the other is getting long in the tooth too, with well over 1000 flights. With only the aileron servos changed and CA hinges since the original "hinge" eventually gave up (with a crash) Set it up like this and you'll find that you'll throw it in the car (golf cart) for anytime flights no matter the conditions. I'm getting another one - I'm glad that Motion brought these back - another great flyer is the Neptune - You'll never spend so little and have so much fun -that's what the hobby is about!

I've never seen one that could 't be repaired and be back in the air the next day.

All the best, Don

Comment

I,ve replaced the fuselage and left out the epoxy - CA works good. Weight has changed considerably and contemplating elevator and rudder servos as Don recommends. Been studying the photo but I'll ask to be sure. Don, what size carbon rods did you use and is that a wire insert for L bend? That was clever to extend the pushrod down far enough to clear ailerons. Maybe you could post a picture showing the side clearly with pushrod?

Comment

After considerable changes made as suggested by dawjr, I will NOT recommend this plane for anything. Didn't fly right after more work and investment. Maybe if you're amongst the club OTW members you might have some success, but the Twisted Hobbies planes are definitely a better flying plane. I love Motion RC, but this is one product they need to drop!

Comment

I do not see where the wing assembly is explained in the instruction manual?

Comment

Well I learned an important lesson, read the reviews/chat boards before you buy. The latest post I see is 202, now it’s 2023 and sadly it appears that nothing’s changed with this kit. No instructions included and the ones I did find are horrible. I am now debating whether or not to spend time building or just chalk it up to a bad decision and move on.☹️

Comment

I read the negative reviews after I purchased the plane.Should have done that the other way around.
                          I left it un opened for many months until my friends started flying the Swift.
                          This Skynetic model flew great.So do I buy a Swift or put the Yak together?
                          As I already had the Yak I went to You Tube for info.I watched the Video of Motion RC flying a stock Yak. It flew great.
                          I assembled The Yak and it flys great. Yes it balances tail heavy according to the sketchy instructions.
                          With the recommend 1600 battery in the nose this plane flys great. Yea, its heavy but its also only $129.
                          I flew it today in wind that blew my hat off! Harriers ,inverted, even hovering.
                          I feel this is a good plane that will be indestructable. Its not a Twisted Hobbies foamy but it will sustain more abuse,be a fun flyer and cost less.

Comment

Cost less for sure

Comment

Working...
                            X