• Official Skynetic 1118mm Trainer King Discussion Thread

Trainer King 1118mm (44") Wingspan - ARF BUNDLE from Skynetic - SKY1022-002

Click here for the official product page

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	954
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	314993

The Skynetic Trainer King EPP is a high wing trainer that is perfect for learning how to fly. Both wing and gear are easily removable for transport and/or flying preference. Made of light yet durable EPP foam with a high and ample-cambered wing and rugged tri-gear, the Trainer King is tailor-made for anyone wanting a capable trainer for flight training.

FEATURES:
    • Durable EPP and high wing with large camber to increase trainer capabilities
    • Rugged and strong tri-gear for added insurance on takeoffs and landings
    • Easy to remove wing and horizontal stabilizer makes transport a breeze
    INCLUDES:
    • Skynetic Trainer King 1118mm (44") Wingspan - ARF BUNDLE
    • AS2216 Brushless motor
    • 30-amp brushless ESC with XT60 connector
    • 4x 8g servos
    REQUIRES:PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 10 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : BEGINNER
    BUILD TIME : 2+ HOUR

Wingspan 44in / 1118mm
    Length 37.4in / 9580mm
    Flying Weight 600 - 650g
    CG (Center of Gravity) 57 - 63mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root
    Power System AS2216 Brushless motor (installed)
    Electronic Speed Control 30-amp brushless ESC with XT60 connector (installed)
    Propeller / EDF Electric propeller
    Servos 4x 8g
    Landing Gear Tri-gear Fixed
    Required Battery 3 Cell 11.1V 1300 mAh Li-Po battery with XT60 connector (required)
    Required Radio 4+ channel radio system (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps No
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Foam
    Material EPP Foam
    Skill Level Beginner
    Build Time 2+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoor
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I just recently received this model and it stated that it was an open box and that the Landing gear is not the right one inbox however it stated that the correct one would be included when I opened it up and looked at parts there was not one in there has anybody else had this issue?

Comment

Mine came with the correct landing included in the box.

Comment

Who else out there has purchased and assembled the Skynetic Trainer King. I purchased the Open Box version. Wondering about the experience other owners had assembling the wing halves together. Especially since the wing half roots are not beveled to maximize contact surface area. Tried numerous times to get Customer Support or the online Help Center to tell me the measure of the dihedral angle. Best advice I got was just assemble using the dihedral braces and don't worry about the gaps. What experience have others had ????

Comment

Ok, have not heard from anybody about their experience building/assembling the Skynetic Trainer King soooooooo I'll start off. Don't expect this to a glowing endorsement ---- it's not. I'll be listing what I feel are severe shortcomings with this model. By the way, I purchased the OPEN BOX version of the model and followed up with the purchase of another fuselage kit because off problems building the original.

1. All the EPP/EPO foam parts appear to be laser cut BUT all the cut edges are not flat --- they are concave inward. Do not have any experience to know if this is typical of EPP/EPO foam. Seems to be that glue joints using CA would be questionable. In my 'build' I am using either Foam-safe, gap-filling Medium CA or FoamTac; build time is greatly affected by adhesive cure time (I am not using CA Kicker). The foam seems to drink in thin CA.

2. Both the OPEN BOX kit and the separately purchased fuselage kit are supplied with numerous foam and wooden parts that serve no purpose in the model.

3. Assembly instructions available online and assembly videos are very lacking; steps are addressed quickly; pictures lack detail.

4. Supplied control horns do not match the instructions or videos. The ones provided in the OPEN BOX kit were totally unusable; when I complained, MortionRC sent me replacements which, of course, did not match those shown in the instructions or videos.

5. Roots of the main wing halves are not beveled to provide dihedral. Joining the wing halves using only the dihedral braces results in gaps along the mating surface which is unsightly. The MotionRC Help Center could not identify the dihedral angle for the model. They suggested propping up the wing tips and sanding the foam roots to add dihedral. Has anyone tried sanding EPP/EPO foam ??? I did join the wing halves together using only the dihedral brace but I used West Systems epoxy as the adhesive; seems like it will be strong.

6. The bottom surface of the main wing has SOME curvature; it is supposed to sit on a flat mounting surface/slot on the fuselage. Conversely, the horizontal tail is flat; it is supposed to sit on a curved mounting surface/slot on the fuselage.

7. Horizontal tail doublers (foam part #8) are provided to be installed on the outside of the fuselage tail. These appear to be overkill and would add unnecessary weight to the rear of the airplane, potentially making it tail heavy --- which is NEVER a good thing.

8. The ailerons each deflect down easily but are quite stiff for upward deflection. The hinges are EPP/EPO foam; no suggestion is offered on how to make the joints more flexible for upward deflection.

and lastly (for now) --- 9. I personally find EPP/EPO foam pieces (like for the fuselage 'crutch' structure) very difficult to work with. Very pliable, doesn't stay in place.

I'm SLOWLY working thru this assembly/build; most trying experience I've had with RC models. I hope no additional 'build' issues surface; I can only hope for some kind of a rewarding experience when I finally get this bird in the air.

Comment

New(er) Skynetic Trainer King question: stiff hinge lines. Almost all the control surfaces are very stiff to deflect; andif they do under servo power, I fear that they will not defect uniformly across the span of the control surface.

What can be done to loosen the deflection of the control surfaces ???

Comment

Working...
            X