Views:	1367
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	365270
    Click image for larger version

Name:	master.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	365271

Dago Red is a North American P-51 Mustang restored as a competitive air racer by Frank Taylor in 1981. Dago Red holds several world records, including the 15 km (517.323 mph) set in 1983. Frank Taylor piloted the plane to most of its world records in the 1980s.

The Nexa P-51 Mustang Dago Red is a electric or gas option .50-size aerobatic airplane with a 1580mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes fully functional flaps, fiberglass cowl, painted pilot and other scale details. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. Impress at your flying field with this air racing lightning bolt!
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The P-51 Mustang comes fully covered including weathering, simulated panel lines and rivets.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this P-51 Mustang including functional flaps, detailed cockpit and painted pilot.
    Fiberglass Cowling

The cowl is made of fiberglass for both looks and durability.
    Fly A Racing Classic

This P-51 Mustang is a famous competitive air racer that performs aerobatics with ease and style with sleek looks to boot.
    Features:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including functional flaps, plastic seat, antenna, printed simulated panel lines and rivets
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    Includes:
    • Nexa P-51 Mustang Dago Red 1580mm (62") Wingspan - ARF
    • Wheels and spinner
    • Fuel tank, hardware and decals
    Requires:Gas Requires:Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).

Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL :14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL :intermediate
    BUILD TIME :6+ hours
    Model Scale 1/7.5
    Wingspan 1580mm / 62.2in
    Length 1270mm / 50.0in
    Empty Weight 3100g / 109.34oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 132mm from the leading edge of the wing's root
    Power System 580Kv or equivalent brushless outrunner motor for electric or .46 - .70 (7.45cc - 11.5cc) for gas (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 70-85A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 13x8 2-blade for electric or 12x6 2-blade for gas (required)
    Servos 45g metal gear standard: left aileron, right aileron, elevator, rudder - HRC6005-017
    17g metal gear standard: left flap , right flap - HRC6005-022
    Landing Gear Electronic retractable gear (required)
    Required Battery 4 Cell 14.8V 4500 - 5000mAh LiPo Battery (required)
    Required Radio 6+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type CA fabric
    Material Balsa and light plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

1 Is the paint match on the production Voodoo cowl as bad as the pictures show ?

2 And the pictures don't show flaps - do t he production Voodoos/Dagos have flaps ?

Comment

I am interested in this Dago. Will it accept a YS 115? I'm being told this may be a little light for pylon racing. Any ideas on how well this will hold together in a 10g turn?
      Last edited by lurpy; Jan 10, 2023, 02:16 PM. Reason: Removed question about cowl cutting template after finding it in the instruction manual

Comment

Subscribed. Would love to read/hear more about this. Any videos of it?

Comment

Originally posted by ECodger View Post
          1 Is the paint match on the production Voodoo cowl as bad as the pictures show ?

2 And the pictures don't show flaps - do t he production Voodoos/Dagos have flaps ?
          I just got the purple one and the colors match very well.

Comment

I'm interested in these two birds as well.

Comment

I have an original VQ Dago Red and the cowl/fuse color match is 100% perfect. It's a beautiful airplane and flies superb. Very fast with a 5065 motor on 6S. The only thing that could be improved would be the addition of a top battery hatch. I thought maybe these Nexa versions would have the hatch but viewing the photos it doesn't appear they do. However, I can tell you from personal experience it is VERY easy to cut your own hatch. It's as simple as cutting on the forward edge of the former behind the cowl and the aft edge of the former just in front of the cockpit. Then make your two lower cuts on the side of the fuselage at the height that equates to where the "arch" in the hatch ends. It will literally "pop" off in one piece. From there you just add magnets at each corner of the hatch and matching ones in the fuse and it holds in place like it was meant to be that way. It does help to have a little bit of red film covering just to give the edges a more finished look and if you need to snug anything up you can use some narrow black foam tape to close the gap. This is by far the best "Reno Racer" type of P-51 on the market and I'm so glad to see Motion bringing it to us. If you're thinking of buying one don't hesitate. You'll love it. (And don't forget to get the electric retracts. They're a super easy install and really clean up the in-flight look.)

Comment

It does have a top fuel/battery hatch just in front of the canopy. The plane was obviously built as a gasser. Trying to fit a 6S battery in the compartment without cutting the rear cross piece where the hatch sits is near impossible. As a nit-pic unlike the photo they do not include decals to carry the side pattern onto the cowl so the side decal stops abruptly where the cowl starts.

Comment

Originally posted by ECodger View Post

Yes it does have Flaps

Comment

There are a few things different from the pictures besides the flaps missing. The insert for the retracts does not come with the kit, only a smaller piece used for the fixed gear which has to be modified so the retracts can be retracted. There are no means to connect the wheel pants to the fixed or retractable gear, you will have to fabricate something of you want them installed, Using the recommended servos for the ailerons will require opening up the hole, they are cut for micro servos like the flaps so the standard servos are too large for the hole. Aside from these few things it is a really nice solid plane. Hoping to get it finished soon and in the air.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Retract Housing.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	370015

Comment

What does it use for a wing spar? Does it have a carbon or aluminum wing tube?

Comment

Originally posted by WarbirdRacer View Post
                        What does it use for a wing spar? Does it have a carbon or aluminum wing tube?
                        There is only an angled piece of plywood that slides into a slot in both wings about 6" to hold the slight dihedral. where it is epoxied. The two halfs are then glued together. The balsa construction of the wings are very stiff so any other spar is not required.

Comment

Correction to my previous statement about no decals, there are decals, I just missed seeing them in the packet with the rest of the paprwork.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeFlyGuy View Post

There is only an angled piece of plywood that slides into a slot in both wings about 6" to hold the slight dihedral. where it is epoxied. The two halfs are then glued together. The balsa construction of the wings are very stiff so any other spar is not required.
                            Hmmm I was hoping to stick a YS 110S on one and pylon race it.. but I may be rethinking that now. Thank you

Comment

I would buy the Freewing P-51 gear and prop if I got this plane.

Comment

Working...
                              X