Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuing on my assembly.....
    Battery trays:
    Spending lots of time building or "Fortifying" battery trays for the separate Receiver and Retract batteries; separate switches for both.

CG Jig:
    I found the Plywood CG jig is cut incorrectly from factory (I am alerting MotionRC today of the misaligned jig) - the CG 126mm is correct but the aft semi-hole to rest onto the wing tube needed cut out on my drill press with a hole cutter to allow it to fit for use.

CG:
    I am surprised the COG with my dual 6s 100c 8000mAh LiPo mounted all the way forward in the motor box was egregiously nose heavy - this means the model will not require the usual 1lb diver belt weight deployed in the nose!!

Flight Battery tray:
    The CG required moving the flight batteries and the battery tray aft, beefing up the lattice work to support the flight batteries, creating a new captive keyhole for the front battery tray tongue, adding a new brace for a secondary battery tray strap and creating a new battery tray thumb screw location for the battery tray.

Receiver and Retract battery trays;
    The CG required moving the receiver and retract batteries aft next to the rudder/tailwheel servo......I choose to beef up those surfaces with additional subflooring to support those batteries.

Flight Battery Connectors:
    I make a practice of deploying "Anti-Spark" Connectors.....this helps keep connectors clean and hopefully reduces heat build up or resistance of the system

Final Wing Fitment test:
    Assembly is nearly completed....CG test, battery relocations, retract testing, surface throw settings, stabilizer set up

Final bits to complete
    Next is to CA the exhaust ports and mount the belly tank

Final weight
    The model with flight batteries and bits added weighs in at 10986grams/24.22lbs The manual says a completed model is between 21-23lbs
    (I have never completed a BH model at or under the manual stated total flying weight)
    Components weight:
    Right Wing: 1707g
    Left Wing: 1679g
    Wing Tubes: 298g
    Batteries: 1861g
    Fuselage: 5443g​

eCalc numbers
    I use eCalc to help determine prop size and probable power to weight ratios.....according to my weights, batteries, ESC Motor and prop:
    Power to weight: 202watts per lb
    Wing Loading: 44.01 oz/ft2 = 134.6g/dm2
    Flight duration at 72% throttle: 8min
    Motor overheat warnings at or near 180degrees possible

Deviations from Assembly Manual:
    Fortifying battery trays
    Relocating flight battery tray position for CG
    Re-cutting CG jig

Estimated hours to completion:
    55hrs intermittent

Electronics
    DX8 Transmitter
    Aura8 Stabilizer
    XOAR PJN 22x12 prop
    Admiral GP160 180Kv Motor
    Phoenix Edge HV 160amp ESC
    Amass AS150 7mm Anti-spark connector
    HobbyStar 6s 100c 8000mAh LiPo (x2)
    LiFe 6.6v 2200mAh Rx Battery
    LiPo 7.4v 2200mAh Retract Battery
    MPI 6470 power switch (x2)
    Hi-Tec 645MG servo (x5)
    Hi-Tec 7245mg digital mini (x2 Elevator only)

TwistedGrin
    Attached Files

Comment

Completed Assembly:
      The assembly of this ARF is completed as of last night 04-30-24.....

With the exception of painting the nose cone and Callie Graphics on order for the vertical stabilizer......the belly tank is huge and required re-threading the blind nuts and the threaded rods in addition to adding 3mm nuts to help secure each of the four rods......not sure I will maiden with the tank installed or not......it will surely rip out the bottom of the fuselage if a belly landing is needed!!!

The usual triple double checking of surface throws, CG confirmation, landing gear movements before maiden is pending

As for the maiden....this could be weeks away as our club field is starting some much needed repairs this year....and Fort Worth area is subject to powerful storms this time of year.....

I'll have the 98.4inch Seagull ER Coupe landing repair, 82.6inch Nexa F-82 and this BH 89inch ME 109G to maiden......but will need to fly my trainer fleet to get my sticks back and get comfortable before flying the heavies

TwistedGrin
      Attached Files

Comment

Took a video of the Black Horse 89inch 109G cg check.....hanging from the field pits rafters......a little windy this evening but I might be close to a flyable CG set: https://youtu.be/IYqyeihVDCM?si=V9Y0UX3rIcIdfwhq

Comment

double post

Comment

Thought I would post up the Video of my CG check without the support stand....this provides full motion of the model as it rotates past the pendulum apex:

TwistedGrin

Comment

Originally posted by marty 72 View Post
              double post
              Marty - agree it should fly well.....for a similar size wing span it's at least 1lb lighter.....perhaps this will help landings as the gear are narrow perhaps more so than our BH 78inch Spitfire

Painting the nose cone today...slightly less than 1/3rd circumference to white

TwistedGrin

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
                Painting the nose cone today...slightly less than 1/3rd circumference to white
                Ooooh, all for the spiral nose cone!

Click image for larger version  Name:	bf109g10white11bg_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	402646
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Completed painting the nose cone and deployed it for a motor run up....the spinner assembly is horridly out of balance.....spent about 5hours sorting the balance out. Providing video of the completed model and another to show the out of balance spinner......will post another video of "Hopefully" a balanced prop assembly

Attached Files

Comment

Completed spinner balance motor run up test....success and very smooth, quiet and most likely much cooler and lower amp draw......this bird is now ready for a maiden.....but not for awhile

Here is the spliced before and after video: https://youtu.be/jMhHJW_3D-w?si=dhuFbVoCTkal6tkl

TwistedGrin

Comment

Working...
                    X