Boeing P-12

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jetfool
    Senior Member

    • Nov 2022
    • 1332
    • Crawfordsville, Indiana
    • Send PM

    #41
    Davegee,
    Fantastic! What are your low rates set at on your Spektrum for ail., Ele., and rudder? I want the best chance for success I can get. That's 2 reports I've heard that the ail. are touchy. My props are supposed to arrive Monday per USPS and this week should be the test flight if weather agrees. Seems pretty sturdy and glad you landed without damage.
    Best Regards, Rex

    P. S. starting to get cold here so the road to Toledo '27 w/F-4 Phantom will continue shortly.

    Comment

    • davegee
      Senior Member

      • Nov 2013
      • 2757
      • Cody, WY
      • Send PM

      #42
      Originally posted by jetfool
      Davegee,
      Fantastic! What are your low rates set at on your Spektrum for ail., Ele., and rudder? I want the best chance for success I can get. That's 2 reports I've heard that the ail. are touchy. My props are supposed to arrive Monday per USPS and this week should be the test flight if weather agrees. Seems pretty sturdy and glad you landed without damage.
      Best Regards, Rex

      P. S. starting to get cold here so the road to Toledo '27 w/F-4 Phantom will continue shortly.
      There is another thing that might have come up. The right aileron "twitched" a few times yesterday and again at the field. And when I powered it up in the workshop, it twitched momentarily again. That's entirely possible that it did this while I was flying today. It's not just a twitching but sometimes a spasmodic movement and then freezing in place for a few moments while the left aileron responds normall. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning, but if it twitches again, I'll ground it and talk to MRC about what might be going on with it. Could be the servo, wiring, or could be my Spektrum receiver that I have not used for a long time. We'll find out.

      For what it's worth, I have aileron ratesin low: 70% 10% expo. Medium rates 90% with 15% expo. Elevator is 90% with 6% expo in low, Medium rates are 96% and16% expo, High rates are the same as medium rates. For rudder I have low rates of 68% and 10% expo, Medium rates of 75% and 20% expo, and high rates of80% and 20% expo.

      For the above settings I tried to use the throws in mm up and down per page 13 of the operations manual for the airplane. Yours might vary a little from what I have. I'm hoping to have a good flight if possible tomorrow, provided the twitching of the right aileron doesn't come up again. That is worrisome.

      Yes, before you know it you'll need to get busy on that F-4 for the contest!

      Cheers

      Davegee

      Comment

      • Grossman56
        Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

        • Jun 2014
        • 7376
        • Cody, Wyoming
        • Send PM

        #43
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20260802_111334.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	453113
        Hey Rex, Robin Olds
        (In the background) needs a home!?

        Grossman56
        (Dangerous Dan)
        Team Gross!

        Comment

        • jetfool
          Senior Member

          • Nov 2022
          • 1332
          • Crawfordsville, Indiana
          • Send PM

          #44
          Grossman,
          My Freewing F-4 is a Navy F-4B but my JHH F-4 will be Robin Olds that's in the AirForce Museum. I purchased Chris Wolfe's cockpit and 2 full body pilots last winter but won't start on it for a while. Plane is in primer just needs finished and detailed. Will hire you to paint them when that time comes. Nothing looks better than a DAN the MAN PILOT.
          Best Regards, Rex

          Comment

          • jetfool
            Senior Member

            • Nov 2022
            • 1332
            • Crawfordsville, Indiana
            • Send PM

            #45
            Davegee,
            Thanks for the info on settings. I have mine at the manual setting but will re-check and lower to yours. The manual states to test fly on high rates but I'm Leary of that. I can always land (crash) straight ahead in the hay field but if it's twitchy, I never know how it lands.
            I would contact Motion before I flew it again. Never a good thing if they spasm. They have always answered my questions truthfully and sent a new motor and esc free of charge once. Gold star company IMHO.
            Best Regards, Rex

            Comment

            • davegee
              Senior Member

              • Nov 2013
              • 2757
              • Cody, WY
              • Send PM

              #46
              Originally posted by jetfool
              Davegee,
              Thanks for the info on settings. I have mine at the manual setting but will re-check and lower to yours. The manual states to test fly on high rates but I'm Leary of that. I can always land (crash) straight ahead in the hay field but if it's twitchy, I never know how it lands.
              I would contact Motion before I flew it again. Never a good thing if they spasm. They have always answered my questions truthfully and sent a new motor and esc free of charge once. Gold star company IMHO.
              Best Regards, Rex
              Good advice, Rex, and I concur. I have flown a number of biplanes over the years, and this was the first one that was so erratic, even when you count the wind and turbulence I had yesterday. I have the plane in my truck along with my P-51D HHH for a trip out to the field later this morning, but I will probably at least do some ground and taxi tests to get more information on it for MRC. It could be an issue in the wiring, the servo itself, or the receiver that I have had in my workshop and was previously flown on another plane some time ago.

              Hopefully we'll get some good results as to what is going on with it now, how to fix it, and then to fly it with some confidence that it will perform in a positive manner like the rest of the airplanes I've bought from them over the years.

              Cheers

              Davegee

              Comment

              • davegee
                Senior Member

                • Nov 2013
                • 2757
                • Cody, WY
                • Send PM

                #47
                Originally posted by davegee

                Good advice, Rex, and I concur. I have flown a number of biplanes over the years, and this was the first one that was so erratic, even when you count the wind and turbulence I had yesterday. I have the plane in my truck along with my P-51D HHH for a trip out to the field later this morning, but I will probably at least do some ground and taxi tests to get more information on it for MRC. It could be an issue in the wiring, the servo itself, or the receiver that I have had in my workshop and was previously flown on another plane some time ago.

                Hopefully we'll get some good results as to what is going on with it now, how to fix it, and then to fly it with some confidence that it will perform in a positive manner like the rest of the airplanes I've bought from them over the years.

                Cheers

                Davegee
                Hi Rex: I had a good morning to fly, very light wind down the runway. I did not have trouble with the previous twitchy aileron, but the settings I have and the short coupling of this little airplane make it impossible for me to fly it. Never got it off the ground this morning, despite several attempts. I did get four good flights with my Flightline P-51D HHH and they went well. Did one fuel tank drop which worked great.

                I'm going to take a step back from this one, now. Unless I can get a winning combination of settings for my transmitter to fly it normally for me, I'm basically done with this airplane. It is for sale if anyone wants to buy it, within driving distance of northwest WY or that area.

                Good luck with your airplane. I'm sure it Can be flown, but it is beyond me at this point. I'll stick to larger jet and prop warbirds.

                Cheers

                Davegee

                Comment

                • jetfool
                  Senior Member

                  • Nov 2022
                  • 1332
                  • Crawfordsville, Indiana
                  • Send PM

                  #48
                  Sorry to hear that, Dave. Wish your outcome had been better. I will take it very slow and may do what your doing at the end. Rex

                  Comment

                  • davegee
                    Senior Member

                    • Nov 2013
                    • 2757
                    • Cody, WY
                    • Send PM

                    #49
                    Originally posted by jetfool
                    Sorry to hear that, Dave. Wish your outcome had been better. I will take it very slow and may do what your doing at the end. Rex
                    Beautiful plane, but just didn't work for me. Good luck with yours.

                    Best,

                    Davegee

                    Comment

                    Working...