Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HK is much more scale than the Freewing though. There are a few minor issues with it: Gear are too tall, nacelles are slightly too long, and the props too large. The fuselage and wing planform however, are spot on. The Freewing B-17 is very off from scale in profile compared to the HK version.

Comment

Just finished my mod to the Freewing gear and using the scale sized master airscrew props. I will probably test fly next weekend before I add the chin turret and start painting. Scale stance is looking better and progress is slowly being made.

Comment

Cool, I like the bombardier area ;)
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
          Cool, I like the bombardier area ;)
          Haha, it's certainly become one of the must-do mods for this plane along with the 109 tail retract!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Haha, it's certainly become one of the must-do mods for this plane along with the 109 tail retract!
            Have you seen my turret mods?
            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Have you seen my turret mods?
              I've seen them, and they look pretty cool. I might consider trying something like that with the nose turret after I am more comfortable with the airplane.

Comment

Hey guys, they look fantastic!! What was the gear mod F106?? It looks much more scale, and great job, both of you, for the tail retract mod, I agree, you'd have thought that would be included in the V2 version.
                Looks like its a pretty easy flying airplane from the videos and I like the counter rotating props!!
                Like everyone else, I wasn't a fan of the panel lines on V1, but man what a difference they made in V2!!!
                BTW, is the decal in the bombardier's position stock or is this one of your mods? Really adds to the realism!

Good job

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Man you guys are off the Hook. Great job.
                  Dewey l

Comment

I found a low res picture of a 1/48 scale model bombardier area and enhanced it in Photoshop then posted it the RCG B-17 thread in the correct size. I laminate them with Gorilla tape front and back so the glue doesn't discolor it.
                    TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      Hey guys, they look fantastic!! What was the gear mod F106?? It looks much more scale, and great job, both of you, for the tail retract mod, I agree, you'd have thought that would be included in the V2 version.
                      Thanks Gman! The gear mod was swapping the stock retracts for those from the Freewing 1600mm B-17. It was a bit of a lengthy process, but I can post how it was done here if anyone is interested.

Comment

Yeah, that would be great, that was the only thing I wasn't particularly fond of with this B17, the L/G didn't look true to scale, this mod knocks it out of the ball park
                        This might be the plane for next year, we'll have to see!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

I absolutely agree about the stock LG, it was a must mod to me! First, I removed the stock plastic trays and shave down the foam underneath to slightly below the spar height. Then I added a 1/8" piece of plywood to mount the gear. You will also have to cut a slot in the retract unit so it fits over the spar. The plywood base will also require a slot in it for the gear arms to pass through in the retracted position. Then, the retract unit has to be modded to accept the larger wheel. A small chunk of the case had to be removed to allow this. I also had to replace the stock shaft. I used some cut up gear legs from an old durafly Corsair to make longer shafts, and cut the channels for the E-clip by using a thin file while turning the shaft in a drill press. The spacer is the stock one from the freewing gear, and the wheel is from the stock airplane. Eventually I'll get around to making some semi-scale hubs for the wheels after a test flight.

Comment

I thought the engine nacelles looked a big large but a nice looking model and you're happy with it and that's all that matters. Nice Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC View Post
                              I thought the engine nacelles looked a big large but a nice looking model and you're happy with it and that's all that matters. Nice Job!!
                              The only bad thing about this plane is that I can't buy it from Motion RC.
                              TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Couple of photos of the Fortress in the air at the Warbirds Over Grapevine event last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC View Post
                                  Thanks! Yes, the nacelles are a bit long, but the scale outline is certainly miles better than the Freewing version. I might eventually mod the nacelles, but that will be a while.

Comment

I think that Freewing B-17 is much better looking than this plane, guess it's matter of preference.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                      I think that Freewing B-17 is much better looking than this plane, guess it's matter of preference.
                                      It's kind of a weird balance. The paint, gear, and plastic detailing are better on the Freewing. But, especially on the fuselage, it just looks off to me. Fuselage seems too wide, and the canopy deck is angled strangely. On top of that, the nacelles seem to be up scaled to me. Not just longer, like the HK version, but overall enlarged. Bottom line is, neither is going to be perfect.

Comment

A few photos from flying the B-17 yesterday morning.

Comment

Just gorgeous!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X