X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK 1600mm DC-3 Build

Well folks, the parts are coming in now. Will begin my winter build on this Kit from Hobby King soon.
    Has anyone done this one? Have a lot of questions.

Would you be talking about this one?

I had the PNP C-47 when they first came out. I think they no longer sell it anymore. It had some problems. Some of which included being underpowered (or overweight), poor prop design and balance, weak motors shafts, weak landing gear. It had a nasty habit of dropping a wing badly on take-off or when doing a slow banked turn and fall to earth.
    I take it that you got the kit and you're building it up with your own selected parts? All I can tell you is give it strong propulsion. It needs to fly with speed or it stalls easily. Make better gear struts (read: thicker) or put in different retracts altogether. It was a beautiful plane when it flew but it was so quirky, I sold it after 1/2 a season. The next owner had a tough time with it, too. Don't know where it's at now. He sold it at an auction.

Comment

Originally posted by SfC Wade View Post
      Well folks, the parts are coming in now. Will begin my winter build on this Kit from Hobby King soon.
      Has anyone done this one? Have a lot of questions.
      I've got a few of them, good looking plane with the Parkflier Plastic's cockpit mod. Not the best flying plane though...fly it fast and flat.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I've got a few of them, good looking plane with the Parkflier Plastic's cockpit mod. Not the best flying plane though...fly it fast and flat.
        So, you know of which I speak. ;)

Comment

Great looking plane...I'll post up about the one I'm building from an airframe, didn't even have motor mounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3264.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	57781

Name:	DSC_3263.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	57782

Name:	DSC_3255.JPG
Views:	710
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	57783

Name:	DSC_3259.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	57784
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Yes Xviper2. Thats the one.

Comment

There are usually always issues with stock; keeping in mind most manufactures build to sell then to fly them.
              I have purchased the following; Motors= 2Turnigy D2836/9 950KV Brushless Outrunners, Props =Master Airscrew Propeller 8x6x3 (Counter rotating), ESC = HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller, Retracts= Dynam 3.0mm Dia 90 Degree Metal E-Retracts, (a perfect fit), Servos= 6 RC Gear Shop WinKing Micro Metal-Gear Servos and 2 Tactic TSX20 Mini High-Speed 2BB Servos.
              First Question/Concern
              Do the thrust angles change since I will be going with counter rotating props?
              It looks as if they are set into the motor mounts? This is First time dealing with this issue.
              I have read somewhere 2degrees down and 2 the right?
              Open for any suggestions.

Comment

Do the thrust angles change since I will be going with counter rotating props?
                It looks as if they are set into the motor mounts? This is First time dealing with this issue.
                I have read somewhere 2degrees down and 2 the right?
                Open for any suggestions.
                The stock PNP had counter rotating props, so I wouldn't worry about it. You can see in this video that they rotated inwards (looking at the blade on top). Counter-rotating helps to negate incorrectness in thrust angle anyway.
                The Douglas DC-3 revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s. Its lasting effect on the airline industry and World War II makes it one of the most si...

Take a look at this video. It shows what we were talking about flying this plane fast and straight. Note that the use of flaps can produce some very bad flight characteristics. When taking off, try to do it with no flaps so you can get lots of speed going before rotating. Flaps make this plane lift off too soon at too low of speed. Makes for a very squirly and tense take off. Landings can be equally tense if full flaps are used.
                After a somewhat tense maiden flight the second flight with an inevitable , altho unexpectedly soon, crash

I have since gone with the Dynam C-47. It doesn't have counter-rotating props (no flaps, no retracts) and it flies so much better than the HobbyKing. Admittedly, the HobbyKing is a nicer size and looks better and once flying straight and fast, it looks really, really nice. The PNP HK one flew on 4s and needed it.

Comment

Got one of these kits at the end of the year and am in the same boat. Planning on building and painting mine as the lead plane on D-Day. After the tip stalling reports, I might try adding some washout similarly to how did for my Lancaster: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...build-and-mods. Hopefully that might enable a bit better tendencies.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	165.7 KB ID:	58103Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	167.5 KB ID:	58104Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	58105Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	190.8 KB ID:	58106
                    Thanksfor your input xviper, I also have the Dynam C-47. It crashed on Maiden. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkAVf3opZY) This was my Bad. She held up better than I thought. I never did like the color scheme (Hard to see at a distance) so during repairs decided to add a few extras (https://youtu.be/sdFCdIryMhc). Looking forward this spring to give her another shot.

Comment

Better than new. :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                        Would you be talking about this one?
                        https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...600mm-kit.html
                        I had the PNP C-47 when they first came out. I think they no longer sell it anymore. It had some problems. Some of which included being underpowered (or overweight), poor prop design and balance, weak motors shafts, weak landing gear. It had a nasty habit of dropping a wing badly on take-off or when doing a slow banked turn and fall to earth.
                        I take it that you got the kit and you're building it up with your own selected parts? All I can tell you is give it strong propulsion. It needs to fly with speed or it stalls easily. Make better gear struts (read: thicker) or put in different retracts altogether. It was a beautiful plane when it flew but it was so quirky, I sold it after 1/2 a season. The next owner had a tough time with it, too. Don't know where it's at now. He sold it at an auction.
                        Yes that is It.Thanks for the info.

Comment

The stock PNP had counter rotating props, so I wouldn't worry about it. You can see in this video that they rotated inwards (looking at the blade on top). Counter-rotating helps to negate incorrectness in thrust angle anyway.
                          The Douglas DC-3 revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s. Its lasting effect on the airline industry and World War II makes it one of the most si...

Take a look at this video. It shows what we were talking about flying this plane fast and straight. Note that the use of flaps can produce some very bad flight characteristics. When taking off, try to do it with no flaps so you can get lots of speed going before rotating. Flaps make this plane lift off too soon at too low of speed. Makes for a very squirly and tense take off. Landings can be equally tense if full flaps are used.
                          After a somewhat tense maiden flight the second flight with an inevitable , altho unexpectedly soon, crash

I have since gone with the Dynam C-47. It doesn't have counter-rotating props (no flaps, no retracts) and it flies so much better than the HobbyKing. Admittedly, the HobbyKing is a nicer size and looks better and once flying straight and fast, it looks really, really nice. The PNP HK one flew on 4s and needed it.
                          So what you are saying is that when I mount the motors to the fire walls, the angles of the prop shafts remain the same on each side?

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                            Got one of these kits at the end of the year and am in the same boat. Planning on building and painting mine as the lead plane on D-Day. After the tip stalling reports, I might try adding some washout similarly to how did for my Lancaster: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...build-and-mods. Hopefully that might enable a bit better tendencies.
                            Let me how things go for you.

Comment

So what you are saying is that when I mount the motors to the fire walls, the angles of the prop shafts remain the same on each side?
                              That's the way the stock PNP came. However, with counter-rotating props, side thrust angle is not so important, so you could leave them as is or use washers as shims to even them out to face straight ahead, but keep the down angle. I suspect whoever designed this plane wasn't thinking about counter-rotating props and did the thrust angle accordingly. Then HobbyKing picked up the product and decided to do it with C.rotating props and didn't change anything else. I don't believe that tip stalling tendency is related to the thrust angle. It's more associated with the way the wings are designed. The previous suggestion about putting in some wash out has been used on this plane to resolve the problem.

Comment

That's the way the stock PNP came. However, with counter-rotating props, side thrust angle is not so important, so you could leave them as is or use washers as shims to even them out to face straight ahead, but keep the down angle. I suspect whoever designed this plane wasn't thinking about counter-rotating props and did the thrust angle accordingly. Then HobbyKing picked up the product and decided to do it with C.rotating props and didn't change anything else. I don't believe that tip stalling tendency is related to the thrust angle. It's more associated with the way the wings are designed. The previous suggestion about putting in some wash out has been used on this plane to resolve the problem.
                                Thanks for the info. I will keep up the research as for now I'm working on the wings.

Comment

Let me how things go for you.
                                  Will do. Haven't started yet, got a few other projects to finish up first. Looking forward to your build!

Comment

The Build is on! So Far so good. Please feel free to look over my work thus far. Any and all advise/comments is appreciated.

Comment

Nice workshop, SfC Wade. I may have missed it, but what livery do you plan on depicting? I recommend Callie Graphics; she collaborated with Hobbyking on this plane's release and she has a variety of decals to choose from. A tip would be to apply a coat of clear Varathane over the decals to help lock them in. Other than that they look great.
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

While I am not a fan of HobbyKing, I do love the C-47. I have the old Royal kit, but it got a little banged up. I had thought of buying the Dynam kit, and replacing the fixed gear with the retracts from the Freewing Mosquito. It would be pretty close to correct, and I can do some minor modification to make them even closer to scale. I was going to get the white DC-3 version, and do my own paint job on it. I think I like the looks of this one better, so now I am on the fence again....decisions decisions...LOL

Comment

Working...
                                        X