Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to check in more often! Sorry for the delay; and I wish I could say I get away with having the planes as living room decor ;) - the fact is, they come in from end of May / first of June because I retreat to Pennsylvania then. And, since nobody’s in the house, she doesn’t mind at all! Rest of the time I keep my stuff in an enclosed car trailer that’s used on trips back and forth. Very handy hangar - also can get hot but some solar-powered fans keep it under control....sort of.

The Ultimate is a Seagull; powered by a Rimfire 1.2, Castle ICE 75, on 6s 5000’s. The tiger-striped F-18 is an older StarMax 64mm EDF - uses an HET 6404 with an ARC 28-48-1 on 4s 2800’s - and it sits a lot these days as it’s just getting too fast for me anymore. The little F8F Bearcat up on top is one of the old TMPro balsa and ply models, uses a 3536 - 1000kv on 3 cell 2200’s and is equally bullet-like. The F-86 is an Exceed 90mm / HET 700-60-2085 / JetFan 90 / 6s powered sweetie that flies every chance I get; the camo’ed F-5 is the old StarMax, repowered with a FreeWing 6blade 80mm fan. Was a fun project that also flies great, but hates grass runways. The rest are a mix - Dynam Meteor, HiTec Weekender Extra, FreeWing Stinger, Goldwing Sbach, HobbyKing F-16 70mm fan.

I have the same space struggles you do, amigo - use the center island in the kitchen when balancing is needed...but otherwise relegated to the garage or the den/computer room, where work is nature-restricted. I.E., no spray-painting in the den. Wives can be such killjoys. I laid claim to the garage a long time ago so there isn’t much debate about what can go on in there.....but it gets toasty during the day. Could be worse, I suppose.

I load what can be fit into the Suburban - but when bigger stuff goes in, that usually means 3 planes tops. Which, as it turns out, is usually enough for a 4-hour flying session.

Comment

Like the pvc rack system, very practical.

Comment

Originally posted by ckankel View Post

The Eflite Beast 60e gets the most love. I love the way it flys and it fits in the back of my Trailblazer in one piece. That and my Blade 550x is my go to combo for a simple fun day of flying. The Carbon Z Trojan comes in a close 2nd, just wish it had more punch. Other mid size stuff is on a rotation and each gets flown once or twice a year. I love flying the big 50cc stuff but they can be a pain to assemble at the field so they don't get flown much in these Alabama summers. They're more for cooler weather. The smaller Parkzone and FMS 1400mm stuff don't get flown much anymore.
        Hello Hugh, very nice hangar you have! I stumbled upon your post because of your Beast 60E. I have finally gotten flight #4 on mine and I have taken so long to get her set up that it seems few folks are still flying them. I was about 50/50 on letting her go to a new home after the first two flights. When I finally removed the servo horns that were being used from the kit and replaced them with the standard short servo arms that initially came with the servos, the skies became a kinder and gentler place. :Cool:

With her size, speed and agility, she has recently become my camera ship for air to air shots when flying with other larger aircraft. She is considerably easier on the eyes too when in camera view compared to a drone.

Do you have any flight video? Here is my latest flight... https://youtu.be/VqNW6f8bYsY

FYI I fly her on low rates 99% of the time. Still very snappy in low rates and high rates are for the hard core 3D pilots, (a skill I do not have :()

-Den

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post

Hello Hugh, very nice hangar you have! I stumbled upon your post because of your Beast 60E. I have finally gotten flight #4 on mine and I have taken so long to get her set up that it seems few folks are still flying them. I was about 50/50 on letting her go to a new home after the first two flights. When I finally removed the servo horns that were being used from the kit and replaced them with the standard short servo arms that initially came with the servos, the skies became a kinder and gentler place. :Cool:

With her size, speed and agility, she has recently become my camera ship for air to air shots when flying with other larger aircraft. She is considerably easier on the eyes too when in camera view compared to a drone.

Do you have any flight video? Here is my latest flight... https://youtu.be/VqNW6f8bYsY

FYI I fly her on low rates 99% of the time. Still very snappy in low rates and high rates are for the hard core 3D pilots, (a skill I do not have :()

-Den
          Hey Den,
          Absolutely loved your Beast flight video, could win an Oscar if I'm voting. Unfortunately, I don't have a video of my Beast, only one of a Corsair, P-51, B-24 and F4, but I wouldn't waste my time on them after seeing the quality of your video. I thought I had an adequate cockpit, but your Dastardly and Muttley crossed the finish line before mine even got out of the gate (picture below)!:Cool:

The Beast is still one of my favorite 3D planes and it always looks stunning in the air and is a real crowd pleaser. I even put a Mr. RC Sound card with 2 TT-25 transducers in it to sound a little more like a radial engine. Had to make some special mounts and although a foam airframe disburses the sound better, it's not too shabby. I also changed the wheels to 3" Robart wheels with a DuBro TW 1 1/4" tail wheel for longer lasting shoes. I fly my Beast with an Xoar 17X8 Beechwood electric prop and get much better performance, smoother accelerations, better speed and additional flight time. I'm using the Castle Phoenix Edge 100 Amp ESC and that prop draws only 86.7 Ah and 1780 Watts at full throttle. A 17X7 (requires lower watts as my motor is 1800 watts rated) is even better, but they are not available in the states and I got Xoar out of China to do a special run for me and they shipped them through California.

I love this plane so much, about 2 years ago I was afraid they would discontinue it, so I bought a new one in the box as a spare. Well, they did discontinue it and I still have my complete boxed up spare if I ever need it (otherwise, I might be too nervous each time flying it because it is irreplaceable).

For overall 3D performance (don't get me wrong, I'm nowhere near the really good flyers, but gaining ground, only a couple light years away) I am absolutely sold on the Extreme Flight planes. Flew 3 of my 4 this weekend (sorry for you northern birds stuck in the snow), and each flight is better than the one before. Between flying those, I'll fly a warbird and a jet and really mix up my mind regarding flying characteristics. Even so, I still like to take the Beast out every other week and just have fun.:)
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Ha! Great minds think alike! I am currently assembling the 120" Extreme Flight Turbo Beaver! LOL!

My Beast is bone stock except for the servo arms and a 10kmah power supply. For camera duty I need the extended flight time. You might notice from the video that for scale flight the extra battery is not even noticable. If you were trying to coax her into a 3D maneuver it would be more evident.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my vid. I've only recently been growing the photography angle of this cool hobby. You should check out my latest jet flight, I'm really a warbird guy too, but when I saw you had a Beast I had to look!

-Den

Comment

WrightBrosRC .............Hello Den and welcome to the Squawk.

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the dastardly vid:Cool: you linked and was impressed with the multifaceted activities of that flight.
              Am guessing that it took you(pilot) and 2 camera operators(ground and flight) to make that happen for the film editing room final production release.;)
              Also, really curious as to how the camera stayed oriented right side up during the rolls.:Thinking:

Best regards,
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                WrightBrosRC .............Hello Den and welcome to the Squawk.

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the dastardly vid:Cool: you linked and was impressed with the multifaceted activities of that flight.
                Am guessing that it took you(pilot) and 2 camera operators(ground and flight) to make that happen for the film editing room final production release.;)
                Also, really curious as to how the camera stayed oriented right side up during the rolls.:Thinking:

Best regards,
                Thank you for the nice welcome!

1 pilot, 1 hand cam w/operator, 1 on board 360 cam + post production magic in my editor = possibly watchable result. Nothing is reviewed live or even at the field. It's kinda like a mix of new digital tech with the old school "wait until its developed" to see if you captured anything useful. :) The on board camera is the Insta360 ONE X. That vid turned out nice, but this one shows what the camera is truly capable of... https://youtu.be/qHoQb3zWTc4 I've just started to develop applications for it. Have had it for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
                  Ha! Great minds think alike! I am currently assembling the 120" Extreme Flight Turbo Beaver! LOL!

My Beast is bone stock except for the servo arms and a 10kmah power supply. For camera duty I need the extended flight time. You might notice from the video that for scale flight the extra battery is not even noticable. If you were trying to coax her into a 3D maneuver it would be more evident.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my vid. I've only recently been growing the photography angle of this cool hobby. You should check out my latest jet flight, I'm really a warbird guy too, but when I saw you had a Beast I had to look!

-Den
                  OMG Den, those are The Most outstanding videos I have ever seen, definitely subscribing to your channel. The cam operators and editor are truly professional, and the pilot ain't too shabby either.;)

I too love the warbirds the most, but the Beast and the Extreme Flight planes are so easy to fly and look so good, I have to fly them to reduce my blood pressure every so often after flying the warbirds and jets. :f4phantom

Keep up the incredible work, welcome to the Squawk and don't be a one and done poster. We need more like you (and probably less like me).:Silly:
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                  X