X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing P-51 gear doors

If you have a FW P-51, there are a couple of things that, over time you accumulate. Spare pieces of the landing gear, wheels and tires, ball links etc. Because you can't buy just the main gear doors or the clam shell doors or the rear gear doors separately, as you can with FMS, you get quite the collection. Recently, I went looking through my stash to find a left main gear door, the only ones that I could find were already broken, at the pins that hold them into the wing, the weakest point of the door. I had a bunch of right sides, but no lefts. For quite a while now, I've tried to come up with a solution as to how to replace the pins with my limited skill set.
    Now if I could work with metal, I may be able to come up with an aluminum set of pins that would work or something like a watch strap pin that would collapse and spread out into the holes when released, that would be cool, but that's more of a CB or Brandon Moon class of mod. This is me. Glue an plastic and a few screws. So, I thought I was doomed to keep on ordering more and more sets until I had a pile of gear doors occupying the corner of the basement. Maybe I could run strings through them and use them for Christmas tree decorations!?
    After a few fruitless tries at gluing the pins back on, I suddenly had an AH HA moment!!
    I had some right side doors that were used but still had the pins on them. So, I cut the right side door at the bottom of the mold marks, just below the pins (Little circular marks) and glued the good set on the left door after cutting it at the same point. Let the glue dry and used Beacon filler in the small crack.
    Seems to work great!!
    Needs a little sanding, but hey, if it works, saves me the wait and the pile.:)

Next day the wife goes down and cleans up the man cave.............Finds three good left side gear doors !!:Confused:

Moral of the story, before ordering anything, let the wife go into the man cave and clean up;).

But this would seem to be a great option to repair these pesky things, especially if you're single!:Cool:

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Hey let her keep looking down there Dan she just might find you a whole plane. Hey buddy habe you had your glasses checked lately.LOL
    Dewey l

Comment

I think the eyes are fine, it's the brain they're connected to that may have the problem !!LOL

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

:Silly:yea its happened to me tooooooooooooo.;)
        Dewey l

Comment

As for those little "pins" on the P-51 doors, I cut a short piece of round CF rod and epoxy it in the door after cutting a bit more of the plastic round part. Seems to do the job.
          I too, have a bunch of duplicates because I never looked first before ordering 2 or 3 spares.

Comment

Hey xviper--I need to resurrect this old thread...I am putting on my last LEFT MLG outer door. I have 3 spare right ones...but want to see if I can avoid breaking a pin again on my last Left one. The piece of CF rod, did you epoxy that one onto a new door to strengthen it and prevent pin breakage? Did I read that right?

Thanks,
            DB

Comment

Originally posted by deadbug View Post
              Hey xviper--I need to resurrect this old thread...I am putting on my last LEFT MLG outer door. I have 3 spare right ones...but want to see if I can avoid breaking a pin again on my last Left one. The piece of CF rod, did you epoxy that one onto a new door to strengthen it and prevent pin breakage? Did I read that right?

Thanks,
              DB
              No, the CF rod doesn't strengthen the pin. It replaces the broken off pin. When you have a mishap, the part of the pin that sticks out usually gets sheared off, leaving you with a "stump". Grind off the stump far enough so that the new CF rod will have a trough to fit in and have a good anchor. If both pins shear off, you grind the whole thing down so one longer rod can get glued in place and each of the rod become the pins. It's much harder to shear off a CF rod end than that little plastic pin that sticks out.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                No, the CF rod doesn't strengthen the pin. It replaces the broken off pin. When you have a mishap, the part of the pin that sticks out usually gets sheared off, leaving you with a "stump". Grind off the stump far enough so that the new CF rod will have a trough to fit in and have a good anchor. If both pins shear off, you grind the whole thing down so one longer rod can get glued in place and each of the rod become the pins. It's much harder to shear off a CF rod end than that little plastic pin that sticks out.
                That would be great if I was left with a stump--but every time one of these break off, the stump, pin, and a very small square that was the "base of the stump/upper fwd. small corner of the gear door goes with it. I was hoping there would be some way to strengthen these durn things. Grossman was right--these things are an annoying weak point on a great warbird.
                Thanks xviper--I appreciate the input!

Comment

Lemme see if I can get a picture.

Comment

Here's a picture of one of my broken wheel doors. You can see where one of the "pins" is sheared off and gone. If and when I need to use this part, I'll use something like "Epoxy Steel" from HobbyKing to join the end piece to the remaining main door. Note the Sharpie line I drew just below the remaining pin. I'd Dremel off that entire end and cut a piece of round CF rod. (Unfortunately, I don't have round so I used the square one for demo purposes only). Make the rod the required length so that each end sticks out to make new pins. Dremel a suitable roundish trough on the end of that piece and use epoxy to glue it down. To reinforce it, wrap around the end with fiber tape to secure the rod onto the end of the door piece. Make the tape longer so that it will cover all of the bent end piece and down each side. Just make sure none of it will interfere with the door opening and closing. If you don't like the tape showing, I suppose you could give it a light spray paint.
                    If you want to reinforce the bent end section on a new door, just use the tape. However, there is no easy way to reinforce those stock pins. They're plastic and very thin. These days, I'm just too lazy to do all this repair work on such a tiny section of a part. I just order up a bunch of spares. Of course, once you done that, you'll never need them.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3338.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	184917

Comment

That was great....I understand. Thanks so much for the time and effort. Now I think I'll just order some more from Motion ;-)
                      Just getting tired of just needing a Left outer gear door and having buy a whole package of other doors I’ll never need.

Comment

Originally posted by deadbug View Post
                        That was great....I understand. Thanks so much for the time and effort. Now I think I'll just order some more from Motion ;-)
                        Just getting tired of just needing a Left outer gear door and having buy a whole package of other doors I’ll never need.
                        You know what they say about "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade" but I still haven't figured out what the heck to do with all the seeds and peels.

Comment

Working...
                        X